Oliver

Default Hey Audiophiles! Can't get system loud enough. Help!

Hi Everybody!

I recently purchased a Kenwood Home Theatre system that included a
VR-707 receiver. My problem is the following. My digital cable box has
a digital-out and analog-out. I have the digital-out connected to the
Video-2 digital-in. When listening to the digital music channels on
my cable box I cannot get the receiver to get loud enough. Volume
stops at –8dB and the sound is there but just not very loud. When I
play CDs through my DVD player (digital out on player to DVD digital
in on receiver) the volume level goes to –4dB and the output speaker
volume is at ear-splitting levels. Can you please explain what is
going on? How can I make my digital cable music channels loud?

I've tried adjusting the cable box settings (changing volume from
fixed to variable, increasing the volume control on the cable box,
etc.) – no luck.

I've tried going from analog-out on cable box to analog-in on video –
2 – no luck.
I've changed input and listen modes on the receiver – no luck.

Please help explain what is going on and offer a remedy. One sure
solution is to get a Digital Signal Processor that can adjust the
digital ouput of my cable box before it gets to my receiver digital
inputs – increasing gain and equalizing things – but those are
expensive.

Thanks!

-Oliver

Keithw

O,
Does your system have something like 'Intelligent Volume Control'? That
you could use to boost the volume. How about a digital volume control on the
cable box? An attenuator somewhere in the system?

- 5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions. keithw...

"Oliver" wrote in message
Hi Everybody!

I recently purchased a Kenwood Home Theatre system that included a
VR-707 receiver. My problem is the following. My digital cable box has
a digital-out and analog-out. I have the digital-out connected to the
Video-2 digital-in. When listening to the digital music channels on
my cable box I cannot get the receiver to get loud enough. Volume
stops at –8dB and the sound is there but just not very loud. When I
play CDs through my DVD player (digital out on player to DVD digital
in on receiver) the volume level goes to –4dB and the output speaker
volume is at ear-splitting levels. Can you please explain what is
going on? How can I make my digital cable music channels loud?

Thanks! -Oliver

Cossie

"Oliver" wrote in message
Hi Everybody!

I recently purchased a Kenwood Home Theatre system that included a
VR-707 receiver. My problem is the following. My digital cable box has
a digital-out and analog-out. I have the digital-out connected to the
Video-2 digital-in. When listening to the digital music channels on
my cable box I cannot get the receiver to get loud enough. Volume
stops at –8dB and the sound is there but just not very loud. When I
play CDs through my DVD player (digital out on player to DVD digital
in on receiver) the volume level goes to –4dB and the output speaker
volume is at ear-splitting levels. Can you please explain what is
going on? How can I make my digital cable music channels loud?

On my home theater system (and I suspect most others), you can adjust the
output to each of the speakers in order to balance the sound based on your
listening position. If you adjust ANY of the speakers above 0dB, your max.
volume goes down by that same amount. That may account for the difference
in the readings from -4 to -8dB, but it probably doesn't have too much to do
with your percieved lack of volume.

I would check the audio menus on your digital cable box and see if you can
adjust the output there. When I used to have digital cable I there was
variable volume output, but as I remember it, it didn't affect the digital
outs. You'll just have to play with it and see.

Bill Balmer