Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
George M. Middius

Default What's all this gum-beating about "tests"?

Is somebody trying to peddle some "test" equipment on the audio newsgroups?

I can't figure out the point of this discussion. Who would want to go to all
the trouble of setting up a scientifically meaningful "test" just to decide
which CD player to get? I don't think there's a shred of realism in this
ideology.

If you want "science", you can't just have a friend switch the components
back and forth, and then try to decide which is which. That's not a real
"test", it's just a crude simulation. If you want a real "test", you need
testing equipment, a truly quiet environment, and meaningful controls of
bias. Otherwise you're just spinning your wheels.

So I have to think that after one of these inane go-rounds about "tests",
somebody is going to pop up with an offer to sell some "test" equipment.
When it happens, we can all laugh about the salesman who tried to sell snow
to Eskimos.