Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

Default Best tap for NFB?

Hi, Vacuumlanders,
I'd appreciate the opinions of the tube amplifier cogniscenti...
I have built a semi-clone of a Williamson power amplifier, viz:
-- 6SN7 1st audio and concertina phase splitter.
-- 6SN7 driver stage, 1/2 a triode per phase - lots of drive
available.
-- 2 x 6L6 o/p tubes (can't afford KT66's at my pay grade!)
-- 5U4 rectifier, of course :-)
-- Recycled Fisher OPT with 0, 4, 8, 16 ohm taps (can't afford a
Partridge or similar original - same reason!)
-- Only 380 VDC B+, less about 24 VDC cathode bias, due to available
PT (I don't want to go fixed bias unless I have to.) The original
Williamson ran 450 VDC B+ on the KT66's but I'm not sure of the bias
used, perhaps around 30 - 35 VDC as a guess.
Nevertheless, I get about 18 watts at clipping - not so bad!
Now the question: amplifier has global NFB from OPT secondary to
cathode of 1st audio (stable and with small cap to knock out the
ringing on square waves.)
Should I take this NFB from the 16 ohm tap because it embraces all of
the wire in the secondary, hence most of the magnetic flux in the
core, or should I take it from the 8 ohm tap as that is what feeds
every loudspeaker I have (and ever will have), so it's closest to the
actual amplifier output. Needless to say, the Fisher OPT does not use
efficient speaker secondaries in series and parallel to get the
desired o/p impedance, rather it has just one tapped winding - the CT
for 4 ohms, full secondary for 16 ohms with an intermediate tap for 8
ohms.
NFB resistor would be adjusted for 8 or 16 ohm tap, of course.
Presently NFB is from the 16 ohm tap. Is 8 ohm tap better, worse, or
are we indifferent as to which?
Thanks and cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 06/01/11 15:56, Engineer so wittily quipped:
Hi, Vacuumlanders,
I'd appreciate the opinions of the tube amplifier cogniscenti...
I have built a semi-clone of a Williamson power amplifier, viz:
-- 6SN7 1st audio and concertina phase splitter.
-- 6SN7 driver stage, 1/2 a triode per phase - lots of drive
available.
-- 2 x 6L6 o/p tubes (can't afford KT66's at my pay grade!)
-- 5U4 rectifier, of course :-)
-- Recycled Fisher OPT with 0, 4, 8, 16 ohm taps (can't afford a
Partridge or similar original - same reason!)
-- Only 380 VDC B+, less about 24 VDC cathode bias, due to available
PT (I don't want to go fixed bias unless I have to.) The original
Williamson ran 450 VDC B+ on the KT66's but I'm not sure of the bias
used, perhaps around 30 - 35 VDC as a guess.
Nevertheless, I get about 18 watts at clipping - not so bad!

sounds good to me. You're limited by output Z matching probably. Maybe
putting speakers BETWEEN taps will get you a few more watts? Depends on
how they wound the secondaries, etc..

Now the question: amplifier has global NFB from OPT secondary to
cathode of 1st audio (stable and with small cap to knock out the
ringing on square waves.)

good.

Should I take this NFB from the 16 ohm tap because it embraces all of
the wire in the secondary, hence most of the magnetic flux in the
core, or should I take it from the 8 ohm tap as that is what feeds
every loudspeaker I have (and ever will have), so it's closest to the
actual amplifier output.

I'd pick the output you're likely to use, and design around that.

Needless to say, the Fisher OPT does not use
efficient speaker secondaries in series and parallel to get the
desired o/p impedance, rather it has just one tapped winding - the CT
for 4 ohms, full secondary for 16 ohms with an intermediate tap for 8
ohms.

good enough for 1955 probably. At least you have multiple taps.

NFB resistor would be adjusted for 8 or 16 ohm tap, of course.
Presently NFB is from the 16 ohm tap. Is 8 ohm tap better, worse, or
are we indifferent as to which?

hard to say. Again, I'd pick the output you're likely to use for your
NFB. That way output is least likely to have any kinds of
transformer-related artifacts (phase, etc.). HF oscillation could be
worse, though, due to different (worse?) capacitive coupling and 'more NFB'.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 2, 8:56*am, Engineer wrote:
[...]

Where there is a 16,8,4 ohm sec arrangement I like to use the 16 ohm
tap for NFB because its the one most tightly coupled magnetically to
the primary. For unconditional stability with 0.22uF used on any tap
you'll have to experiment with the Zobel R+C damping networks across
the V1 anode RL and maybe across the OPT sec, say 0.05uF + 27 ohms
across 16 ohm winding. Just what response you get with each tap at say
4 watts may vary with different HF response peaks with say 0.22uF with
an R load in parallel. I like to see 14Hz to 65kHz at full power and
slightly wider BW at lower powers and no chance of oscillations with a
pure C load. But I bet you find at 18 W the power bandwidth is much
less than 14Hz to 65kHz if you have made the amp unconditionally
stable. Look to see if the amp is stable without any load. Often
Wiliamsons won't be, and the CRO will show a trace bouncing up an down
at some low F. You may need a step network after the 0.47uF coupling
caps to the balanced driver grids, 1M + 0.05uF in parallel, then 220k
bias R.

Quad-II take their NFB from what is a 4 ohm outlet point not meant for
a speaker. Their 16 ohm setting is more stable than the 8 ohm setting.
But changing the turns for 16 or 8 ohms means the amount of NFB
changes so Quad went to a point where the voltage change didn't occur.
With the tapped sec there is no change to the turns used for the sec
so you could uses 16, 8 or 4, depending on which gives best overall
stability.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

sounds good to me. *You're limited by output Z matching probably. *Maybe
putting speakers BETWEEN taps will get you a few more watts? *Depends on
how they wound the secondaries, etc..

The OP has not mentioned the OPT Z ratio P to S.

Say its 6k: 16, 8 or 4. A 4 ohm speaker should be able to be used
between the 16 and 4 terminals and get the same PO as for 4 to Com.
The use of a speaker taken to between 16 and 8 terminals is a match
for 6k : 1.44 ohms but a speaker of 4 ohms used there will raise the
RLa-a to 15k0 and PO will be all pure class A if it is not now. Power
will be less than 18W but THD/IMD will be low.
The use between 8 and 4 gives a load match of 6k0 : 0.6 ohms approx
and it is useless. Winding losses will be high.

Fisher may have wound two identical tapped 16 ohm sec sections with
taps all paralleled, but I doubt it.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 4, 9:39*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Patrick,
The p-p impedance is 6.4 Kohms to nominal 0, 4, 8, 16 taps. My
instinct was to use the 16 ohm tap for NFB for the reason you state
(most secondary turns around the iron!)
I did have that "slow bounce" instability you mention but got rid of
it by reducing NFB. Unfortunately, that leaves the amplifier with too
much gain for the Heathkit WA-P2 preamp I am using - noise from preamp
too high. Do you have a reference to your "... CRO will show a trace
bouncing up an down at some low F. You may need a step network after
the 0.47uF coupling caps to the balanced driver grids, 1M + 0.05uF in
parallel, then 220k bias R."
The o/p tubes are pentode connected. I tried triode connection (same
bias) but the power then maxed out at barely 6 watts! Presumably all
class A. So I put the pentodes back!. Then I removed the individual
(or course!) cathode bias caps to lower the gain but the power then
maxed out at barely 12 watts... not good!
Perhaps I need to rethink the bias... presently individual 390 ohms
per cathode.
Still thinking on the gain reduction fix...
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Jun 4, 1:24*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 09:57:51 -0700 (PDT), Engineer

wrote:
[...]

You normally have blocking cap (the .47uF) and a grid bias resistor to
ground (or bias V), right?

He's talking about putting a resistor in series with the blocking cap,
on the grid resistor side, so you then have a voltage divider. That
cuts gain by the resistor ratio.

Now, bypass (parallel across it) the added resistor with the .05uF.
That cuts the divider out above the 3dB point so you have a low F cut,
from the divider, and no cut above the 3dB point.

The o/p tubes are pentode connected. *I tried triode connection (same
bias) but the power then maxed out at barely 6 watts! *Presumably all
class A. So I put the pentodes back!. *Then I removed the individual
(or course!) cathode bias caps to lower the gain but the power then
maxed out at barely 12 watts... not good!
Perhaps I need to rethink the bias... presently individual 390 ohms
per cathode.
Still thinking on the gain reduction fix...
Cheers,
Roger

Ah, ha... got it! I presume this is the final RC coupling to the o/p
tubes.
Actually, I only used 0.05 uF anyway with 470 Kohm 6L6 grid resistors
to ground. I figured the -3dB point was low enough at 6.8 Hz!
The Williamson used 100K grid resistors (on the KT66's) and 0.25 uF
coupling caps.
If I drop my 6L6 grid resistors to 100K (and used a larger coupling
cap for say, -3 dB at 10 Hz), then they load the stage driver output
impedance a bit more and reduce the gain a bit, as I want. The I
could do what Patrick said (and you clarified, thanks) and stablize
the VLF, then add even more NFB to drop the gain further to where I
need it for the WA-P2.
Back to the schematic, pencil and calculator...
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 5, 2:57*am, Engineer wrote:
[...]

Roger- Hide quoted text -

Try reading my schematics at my website, in particular, try the
principles embodied in the 5050 amp design at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/Integrated5050.htm

You'll find the networks used between input SET stage and following
driver LTP will tame all HF and LF oscillations. But the values I show
won't suit what you have. The principles behind networks need to be
learnt so you can apply them. Its called "critical damping".

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Jun 4, 3:58*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 12:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Engineer

wrote:
[...]

The driver tubes grids.

Actually, I only used 0.05 uF anyway with 470 Kohm 6L6 grid resistors
to ground. *I figured the -3dB point was low enough at 6.8 Hz!

I know the datasheet says 'up to' 500k for grid leaks with cathode
bias but I'd lower them to at least 220k for better bias stability.

It's not quite so critical with driver tubes, because of the plate
resistor, but output tube run away makes for bad juju.

The Williamson used 100K grid resistors (on the KT66's) and 0.25 uF
coupling caps.
If I drop my 6L6 grid resistors to 100K (and used a larger coupling
cap for say, -3 dB at 10 Hz), then they load the stage driver output
impedance a bit more and reduce the gain a bit, as I want. *The I
could do what Patrick said (and you clarified, thanks) and stablize
the VLF, then add even more NFB to drop the gain further to where I
need it for the WA-P2.
Back to the schematic, pencil and calculator...
Cheers,
Roger

Quick update:
I replaced the "470K" (actually they were 400K) 6L6 grid leaks with
100K and left the 0.05 uF coupling caps in (-3 dB point now at 32 Hz.)
Result: no sign of VLF instability. I can now increase the global NFB
from a near unstable 33K resistor to about 15K with no signs of VLF
surging. The larger NFB has reduced the overall gain to about what I
need for the WA-P2 preamp, so I don't think I'll need a special LF
roll-off coupling to the 6L6's. So far win-win.
I still have to fine tune the parallel NFB cap to cut square wave
ringing (there's quite a lot!) and reconfirm all performance figures.
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Jun 5, 7:34*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 13:21:37 -0700 (PDT), Engineer

wrote:
[...]

That's good news but I'd be tempted to bump those caps to .1uF, or
even .22uF like in the Williamson, and lower the caps into the driver
grids and here's why.

NFB will try to make the output, times gain, equal the input which, of
course, is why we're using NFB. But you're cutting the signal 3dB (or
more, depending on the frequency) at the output tube grids with the
coupling cap roll-off. That means the input gain stage is going to
increase it's signal (at that frequency) by 3dB to compensate (NFB at
work) and the same increase goes into the driver tubes.

Now, a 3dB increase might not be a problem for your drivers but you
can see that, sooner or later, depending on how much of a shelf you're
doing, it can become a clipping problem because they have to swing a
larger signal to get through that output tube coupling cap.

And, in addition to potential clipping, increasing the output level,
of everything before the roll-off, also increases distortion in those
stages

There's nothing you can do about the first gain stage and concertina
(the signal level there is the smallest of the whole amp so there
should be 'room' for it) but if you move the cut to the driver tube
grids then they will be operating 'like normal'.

*I can now increase the global NFB
from a near unstable 33K resistor to about 15K with no signs of VLF
surging. The larger NFB has reduced the overall gain to about what I
need for the WA-P2 preamp, so I don't think I'll need a special LF
roll-off coupling to the 6L6's. *So far win-win.
I still have to fine tune the parallel NFB cap to cut square wave
ringing (there's quite a lot!) and reconfirm all performance figures.

You might want to consider shelving HF which, if you look at Patrick's
schematic, is the cap, and it's series resistor, in parallel across
the bottom resistor of the divider. I.E. that cap shunts HF, through
the resistor in series with it, to ground making the divider ratio
lower so it cuts HF into the LPT.

Good point about the drivers, flipper. I had not thought of that.
I'll see what I can do to roll off the bottom right after the phase
splitter and add a couple of 0.1 uF's in parallel with the 0.05's to
the 6L6 grids.
Since posting above, I played with the NFB cap bypass using a radio
tuning cap to see what value I need. There is a problem... as I
increase the cap, just before the square wave ringing stops an HF
instability pops up on the back of the square wave. I'm pretty sure I
need the HF shelf you speak of.
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

wrote:
[...]

Have you checked to be sure the amplifier remains stable at low frequencies
without a load? With pentode connected output tubes the output stage low
frequency pole can shift radically higher in frequency when the load is
disconnected, possibly screwing up your careful staggering of pole frequencies
and causing instability.

Regards,

John Byrns

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
[...]

For a Williamson the problems of overdrive at LF due to FB action
boosting the error signal in input & concertina stages may be overcome
by using the shelving network before the balanced amp, and where there
is a huge amount of headroom. But you need to use TWO networks each
0.47uF then 1M//0.05uF, then 220k series grid bias R.
The highest pole in this network is determimed by the 0.05uF and 220k
which gives -3dB at 14Hz, then the there is a second pole at about
2.7Hz when the response levels out at -14.9dB, then a third pole
between 0.47uF and 1,220k at 0.28Hz. Phase shift between 14Hz and 1Hz
is never more than +45 degrees and only increases to +90d at 0.28Hz
when gain loss from other networks in the amp have reduced it to keep
Nyquist happy.

It is possible to put such shelf networks between balanced amp and OP
tubes - it works OK, but that's where the balanced amp might become
over driven as you point out. But fact is there is SFA signal in most
music below 20Hz. I've sometimes used TWO pairs of shelf networks
where OPT inductance is too small as in the case of a Ming Da amp I'm
re-engineering here for a customer. It has SET + LTP input stages
followed by balanced amp with 300B driving 845 in PP, so there are 4
stages and 3 lots of C&R coupling between stages. Shelve networks were
found to vastly improve bass and stability compared to the Chinese
Dumbo Design.

The shelf networks reduce gain where you just do not want much open
loop gain nor do you want a large amount of NFB applied, ie, below
14Hz and above 20kHz.

Patrick Turner.

Cheers,
Roger- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 6, 8:42*pm, flipper wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 23:50:22 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner

wrote:
[...]

That's what I said.

But you need to use TWO networks each
0.47uF then 1M//0.05uF, then 220k series grid bias R.

Same as doing it at the output tubes.

The highest pole in this network is determimed by the 0.05uF and 220k
which gives -3dB at 14Hz, then the there is a second pole at about
2.7Hz when the response levels out at -14.9dB, then a third pole
between 0.47uF and 1,220k at 0.28Hz. Phase shift between 14Hz and 1Hz
is never more than +45 degrees and only increases to +90d at 0.28Hz
when gain loss from other networks in the amp have reduced it to keep
Nyquist happy.

That may be fine for the amp in your example but that doesn't mean
those poles are right for his.

It is possible to put such shelf networks between balanced amp and OP
tubes - it works OK, but that's where the balanced amp might become
over driven as you point out. But fact is there is SFA signal in most
music below 20Hz.

He implied the pole needed was closer to 32Hz.

There very well might not be a 'problem' shelving at the output grids
but I see no good reason to put it there either.

I've sometimes used TWO pairs of shelf networks
where OPT inductance is too small as in the case of a Ming Da amp I'm
re-engineering here for a customer. It has SET + LTP input stages
followed by balanced amp with 300B driving 845 in PP, so there are 4
stages and 3 lots of C&R coupling between stages. Shelve networks were
found to vastly improve bass and stability compared to the Chinese
Dumbo Design.

The shelf networks reduce gain where you just do not want much open
loop gain nor do you want a large amount of NFB applied, ie, below
14Hz and above 20kHz.

It should be noted that 'the purpose' given reduces NFB in that region
and, as a result, increases distortion so you don't want to do 'more'
than needed and the ideal case would be none at all, assuming you
could make the amp stable with none at all.

Well, I'm confident the OP will work it out for himself.

The LF shelving networks I suggest, and where I put them, ie, never
right before the OP tubes do work in 90% of cases where otherwise an
amp oscillates at LF, especially when there isn't any load connected
when OLG goes high, amount of NFB increases and, oops, the darn thing
wants to oscillate at 0.5Hz.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
[...]

I've moved the LP roll-off filter to the grids of the driver pair
(both 0.05 uF and 100K for -3dB at about 32 Hz ignoring phase splitter
source impedance) and put the coupling to the 6L6 grids at 0.18 uF and
100K grid leak for a -3dB point at about 9 Hz (ignoring the about 8K
source impedance from the driver plates.) No VLF instability seen.
I plan to put the HF shelf network in the 1st stage plate circuit
(still calculating it... the present roll off at about 64 KHz is too
high), then tune the NFB cap for no oscillation on square waves (I
hope!)
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

snip to appease the bean counters at Google.....

Well, I'm confident the OP will work it out for himself.

The LF shelving networks I suggest, and where I put them, ie, never
right before the OP tubes do work in 90% of cases where otherwise an
amp oscillates at LF, especially when there isn't any load connected
when OLG goes high, amount of NFB increases and, oops, the darn thing
wants to oscillate at 0.5Hz.

Patrick Turner.

I've moved the LP roll-off filter to the grids of the driver pair
(both 0.05 uF and 100K for -3dB at about 32 Hz ignoring phase splitter
source impedance) and put the coupling to the 6L6 grids at 0.18 uF and
100K grid leak for a -3dB point at about 9 Hz (ignoring the about 8K
source impedance from the driver plates.) *

What exactly do you have between concertina a and k to grids of
balanced driver? I use 0.47, then 1M // 0.047uF, then Rg biasing R =
220k. This gives low poles and good bass without instability. It works
in all amps I've tried.

No VLF instability seen.

I plan to put the HF shelf network in the 1st stage plate circuit
(still calculating it... the present roll off at about 64 KHz is too
high), then tune the NFB cap for no oscillation on square waves (I
hope!)
Cheers,
Roger

I use a 50k pot in series with a double gang tuning cap from an old
radio, 40pF to 700pF available. I run a 5kHz square wave at 1Vo
without any load, assuming the amp won't oscillate at HF without a
load and with say 15dB global NFB. Usually some *minimum* amount of
CpF across the FB R may be needed to stop HF oscilations at least. The
tuning gang may be used to determine this C value as well before other
things.
you may also need 22 ohms plus 0.047uF in series across the 16 ohm sec
to give an R load at HF.

But with the FBR C and zobel at output, amp should not oscillate at HF
without a load. The best place for the R&C zobel to shelve HF gain is
from V1 anode to 0V, or across the anode RLdc resistance, either way
the tuning cap sees over 100Vdc across its plates so I use a 0.1uF
also in series to block the Vdc, and 0.1 is a very low Z compared to
the CpF you will want. With a 5kHz square wave you'll see overshoots.
If you connect a 0.047uF across the OP maybe the amp oscillates maybe
not, but if not the overshoots will increase in amplitude and ringing
frequency will reduce. Adjust put and tuning C to minimise the ring,
then try 0.1uF and 0.22uF and 0.47uF as loads Usually if there is some
ringing but settling within 1/2 the width of the square wave flats and
ringing amplitude is not more than 6 dB above the sq.wave flats the
amp will remain stable with any other C value. With resistance load
and C in parallel, ringing will reduce. With only R load, BW should
extend to at least 35kHz, -3dB, and with a C added maybe a slight 3dB
peak in response above 30kHz is seen but without a load it won't ever
oscilate.

The C&R act to lower the RL of V1 to perhaps 1/5 of normal value at
1kHz down to say 10k at 100kHz. So the Miller effect is pushed higher.
I don't calculate this network; I tune it to be good.

Patrick Turner.
..

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 8, 3:09*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
snip to appease the bean counters at Google.....

See below in your text after *****************
Cheers,
Roger

Well, I'm confident the OP will work it out for himself.

*********** Thanks, will do!

[...]

************** The coupling from concertina phase splitter to drive
grids is now 0.05 uF and 100K to ground. No "VLF shelf" in place. VLF
stable, no 0.5 to 1 Hz surges. Driver to 6L6 grids is 0.18 uF and
100K.

[...]

***************** The trick with the tuning cap is what I do for the
NFB resistor bypass cap. Good idea to do it for the HF shelf setting,
too, with pot, so will do this. Since it is in the 1st audio plate
circuit your 0.1 uF isolator is well noted (see below)... and keep
fingers off the cap frame, hot! Will add 22 ohms and 0.05 uF across
the 16 ohm sec, too. Presently I have just 1.5K as a token load.

[...]

*************** All noted. I'll see if I need the VLF shelf.
Presently the 0.05 uF/100K combination in front to the driver is
stable, but your bypassed 1M and 220K does seem like a more elegant
idea... will consider. And thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
"My Scratch 15" is not a "Turner 5050" but I want it to be at least
decent.

************* Cheers, Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

************** *The coupling from concertina phase splitter to drive
grids is now 0.05 uF and 100K to ground. *No "VLF shelf" in place. VLF
stable, no 0.5 to 1 Hz surges. Driver to 6L6 grids is 0.18 uF and
100K.

Try to check LF response at low level, say 1Vrms into nominal load
with input testing signal kept level down to 2Hz at least.

With GNFB, often the response below 50Hz will have a peak before the
response rolls off quickly at a rate exceeding 12dB/octave. This peak
might be between 5Hz and 25Hz and if more than +3dB is undesirable.
The LF shelving network should give you a flatter bass response.

No VLF instability seen.

***************** *The trick with the tuning cap is what I do for the
NFB resistor bypass cap. *Good idea to do it for the HF shelf setting,
too, with pot, so will do this. *

The series R is essential with the C, and square wave ringing is
reduced to a minimum by adjustment of BOTH R and C.

Since it is in the 1st audio plate
circuit your 0.1 uF isolator is well noted (see below)... and keep
fingers off the cap frame, hot! *Will add 22 ohms and 0.05 uF across
the 16 ohm sec, too. *Presently I have just 1.5K as a token load.

0.1uF may be too low a C value. Try 0.47uF, and don't worry about
letting the moths from your purse because they'll all find a good home
elsewhere.

the "token load" of 1k5 is a trivial and useless load at the OPT sec.
The Zobel with 22 ohms plus 0.047 will present an increasingly
resistive load above 310kHz. The Z of Zobel at its pole will be 31
ohms at 153kHz.
The 0.047 + 22r is where I'd start, and then increase C. If C was
0.22uF, pole is at 33kHz, and Z becomes mainly resistive by 66kHz.
Sometimes the output sec Zobel just cannot help to prevent
oscillations. Be prepared for doing things which are renowned to help
but don't. Sometimes OPTs people try to use are very very poor.
Sometimes you have to place a Zobel across each 1/2 primary of the
OPT. If nominal RLa-a = 6k, then one might use network of 3k9 + 0.001
uF across each 1/2 primary, ie, from CT/B+ to each anode

.
*************** *All noted. I'll see if I need the VLF shelf.
Presently the 0.05 uF/100K combination in front to the driver is
stable, but your bypassed 1M and 220K does seem like a more elegant
idea... will consider. *And thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
"My Scratch 15" is not a "Turner 5050" but I want it to be at least
decent.

The first amps I made were pretty damn awful. I was trying to use
really bad OPTs taken from junk I found at the local tip. After
awhile, my amps improved, especially when I made a lathe to wind my
own OPTs which were better than anything I could buy.

But I've never attracted a willing apprentice - they realise they'd
never make any money, and young blokes always want lotsa money because
she who sits upon a treasure demands it or she won't display her
jewels.