John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Default I have never made a transfomer

I have never made a transformer.

But I did make a few capacitors & inductors,
That made the circuit take off on its own.

And I did make the odd resistor,
So the juice could not get where it was needed.

And I never made a vacuum tube,
But I did make a pretty good diode while soldering.

And I have still not made a transformer!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mar 14, 1:31*am, John L Stewart John.L.Stewart.
wrote:
I have never made a transformer.

But I did make a few capacitors & inductors,
That made the circuit take off on its own.
And I did make the odd resistor,
So the juice could not get where it was needed.
And I never made a vacuum tube,
But I did make a pretty good diode while soldering.
And I have still not made a transformer!
John L Stewart

Be ye not mournful nor melancholic late in life,
sorry because ye have not done every damn possible thing,
nor travelled to every destination,
nor pharked all the shielas at yonder house of pleasures,
nor been king of every realm,
nor been surounded by tables stacked with golden coin and diamonds,
nor put even two turns around some iron to transform a voltage or
current.

The astronauts who went to the moon never built their rocket engines
before they set off.

But are we are not all astronauts? - a gathering of 7 billion
partially sensible beings travelling in space on
the Good Ship Wonky Earth whose control systems we are struggling to
understand.

None of us know how to make an Earth and at best we make but hot air.

But I did know university professor of physics who knew a lot about
quarks and tiny stuff and his after hours interest
included amp building and he could not figure out why his amp produced
so little power and like you he'd never wound a transformer either.

He didn't realise he'd connected up his OPT "wrong". The OPT may have
come out of a university dumpster bin.
He'd found there were 33% UL taps on each of two primary windings. But
he manages to connect the windings so the 33% UL taps are 66% taps
for 6V6, and he gets power which is hardly above triode power, by
accident. He'd used the two wires meant to form the CT and go to the B
+ as anode terminals, and brought the anode terminals together for the
CT and B+.

Had he ever wound a transformer, part of his brain might have been
transformed slightly so a clearer mental picture of what he was doing
might have appeared at least subconsciously which would have led to an
additional conscious question or two and he'd not have needed to seek
my humble assistance.

There are piles and piles of things I have not done and will never do
and I'm the stupider for that.

But I can't be in the right place at the right time to try to do
everything.

And Jennifer Hawking might regret she didn't **** me.

But I know it would be frightfully expensive for me if she decided to
resolve her regrets one evening with me, privately.

Patrick Turner.

Vance_Iam Vance_Iam is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L Stewart View Post
I have never made a transformer.

But I did make a few capacitors & inductors,
That made the circuit take off on its own.

And I did make the odd resistor,
So the juice could not get where it was needed.

And I never made a vacuum tube,
But I did make a pretty good diode while soldering.

And I have still not made a transformer!
Dear John, I am interested to know about your profession. You have made capacitors, inductors, resistors and diodes but not transformer. I am much interested in Electrical engg. but man of IT.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tabby Tabby is offline

On Mar 13, 3:31*pm, John L Stewart John.L.Stewart.
wrote:
I have never made a transformer.

But I did make a few capacitors & inductors,
That made the circuit take off on its own.

And I did make the odd resistor,
So the juice could not get where it was needed.

And I never made a vacuum tube,
But I did make a pretty good diode while soldering.

And I have still not made a transformer!

You're not missing anything, its a tedious job

NT
John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance_Iam View Post
Dear John, I am interested to know about your profession. You have made capacitors, inductors, resistors and diodes but not transformer. I am much interested in Electrical engg. but man of IT.
All of these appeared as parasitics in the circuits I worked on at various times. John

Transfomer Temperature? Edward Morris Vacuum Tubes 11 October 19th 09 10:41 PM
just made a new record Nate Najar Pro Audio 0 June 14th 06 12:44 AM
EL84(6BQ5) Canadian-made Mullard tubes made for Rogers. Jim Landers Vacuum Tubes 11 November 25th 05 03:05 PM
JL W7 Made By ID? Tony F Car Audio 3 June 13th 05 09:56 AM
WANTED: Thordardson transfomer #22S39...or exact replacement firedome Vacuum Tubes 2 December 3rd 04 10:25 PM