Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Garneau Tom Garneau is offline

Default Viking RP61?

Viking RP61

Anybody know anything about this unit?

Looks to be a record/playback amp.

It was made here in Minneapolis.

cheers,

tom
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Tom Garneau" wrote in message
t...
Viking RP61

Anybody know anything about this unit?

Looks to be a record/playback amp.

It was made here in Minneapolis.

Consumer tape recorder, almost certainly 7.5/3.75 ips, maybe 1.875 ips as
well, unbalanced mic preamps.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tom Garneau wrote:
Viking RP61

Anybody know anything about this unit?

Looks to be a record/playback amp.

It was made here in Minneapolis.

It's a tape recorder, arguably one of the worst tape recorders around.
I assume you got only the electronics package. High-Z unbalanced in,
High-Z unbalanced out, doubtful metering, noisy bias oscillator.
Schematic will be found under the bottom plate.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bryson Bryson is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Tom Garneau wrote:
Viking RP61

Anybody know anything about this unit?

Looks to be a record/playback amp.

It was made here in Minneapolis.

It's a tape recorder, arguably one of the worst tape recorders around.
I assume you got only the electronics package. High-Z unbalanced in,
High-Z unbalanced out, doubtful metering, noisy bias oscillator.
Schematic will be found under the bottom plate.
--scott

I remember seeing Viking decks in the Allied catalogs in the '60s.
Their printed specs were better than the Ampex 351 therein.
Of course I learned quickly that printed specs were to always be
questioned.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JNS JNS is offline

Bryson wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Tom Garneau wrote:
Viking RP61

Anybody know anything about this unit?

Looks to be a record/playback amp.

It was made here in Minneapolis.

It's a tape recorder, arguably one of the worst tape recorders around.
I assume you got only the electronics package. High-Z unbalanced in,
High-Z unbalanced out, doubtful metering, noisy bias oscillator.
Schematic will be found under the bottom plate.
--scott

I remember seeing Viking decks in the Allied catalogs in the '60s.
Their printed specs were better than the Ampex 351 therein.
Of course I learned quickly that printed specs were to always be
questioned.

I still have a Viking 85 deck and two RP-62 preamps. It actually wasn't
a bad recorder for the times (early to late 60's). Mine was last used
in the late 70's for tape delay. That recorder led me into my career
many years later. You guessed it..........recording engineer/studio
owner.

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

I still have a Viking 85 deck and two RP-62 preamps. It actually wasn't
a bad recorder for the times (early to late 60's). Mine was last used
in the late 70's for tape delay. That recorder led me into my career
many years later. You guessed it..........recording engineer/studio
owner.

Jeff

I still have a Viking 88.

It's not that great by pro standards but a very good consumer level
machine for the time.

Actually I am looking to sell it at this point.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bryson wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Tom Garneau wrote:
Viking RP61

Anybody know anything about this unit?

Looks to be a record/playback amp.

It was made here in Minneapolis.

It's a tape recorder, arguably one of the worst tape recorders around.
I assume you got only the electronics package. High-Z unbalanced in,
High-Z unbalanced out, doubtful metering, noisy bias oscillator.
Schematic will be found under the bottom plate.

I remember seeing Viking decks in the Allied catalogs in the '60s.
Their printed specs were better than the Ampex 351 therein.
Of course I learned quickly that printed specs were to always be
questioned.

You know, I have an RP61 unit sitting in the attic somewhere, if the original
poster wants a second one for stereo. I won't guarantee it works as well as
it did when it was new, and it didn't work very well when it was new.

I kept a couple of them around to scrap for the meters until I found out that
the meters had goofy ballistics and weren't real VU meters anyway. There is
one left that didn't make it to the dumpsters.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Bryson wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Tom Garneau wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the offer. I was just asking because I got offered one by a
guy who lives near here. As I guessed, based on your replies I'll be
passing. Thanks for everyones reply.

cheers,

tom

TelecasterTech TelecasterTech is offline
Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Viking FF75, and the RP62-C amp.

If anyone has these available or other Viking equipment, please PM me as I would be interested.

Thank you!
TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Garneau View Post

Thanks for the offer. I was just asking because I got offered one by a
guy who lives near here. As I guessed, based on your replies I'll be
passing. Thanks for everyones reply.

cheers,

tom
TelecasterTech TelecasterTech is offline
Junior Member

Okay, so I've bought a completely mint condition Viking FF75 tape deck, without the belt for the motor as it was deteriorated and disposed of by the previous owner. Anyone know exactly which belt I need?

As well, I'll find out in a few days if I also get the RP61 amp along with it. I will try to post photos & information once I get the gear.

-TT