MikeMandaville

Some acts actually do gigs which are 'enhanced' versions of music
they've recorded. Elton John, and the numerous shows he's done with
full symphonic backing, comes to mind. Sequencing (some) keyboard
parts and playing along with...is that considered
'cheating' by purists?

jak

Hello, Jak.

I think that your observation about Elton John is well put. I would
also like to mention, though, that when Elton John toured the Soviet
Union, the only other musician he brought with him was his
percussionist at that time, Ray Cooper. For additional support,
though, he also worked with the help of some live sequencing on a
musical organ. After he returned from the Soviet Union, my
recollection is that he then went on to tour the U.S. using essentially
the same format. Elton had prepared himself very well for these tours,
and I can only believe that Van Cliburn himself must have been pleased.

Boom

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:42:55 -0600, "Lee D"
wrote:

I don't have a problem with studio technology, but I think that bands
should record as bands and not a public figure backed by studio
musicians singing songs selected by producers from a cadre of
commercial songwriters.

Good luck getting that to stop. When you see an act like that, it's
usually because someone bought their way into the business and is
paying a lot of money to have their public figure backed by studio
musicians singing songs selected by producers from a cadre of
commercial songwriters. So as long as mommies and daddies have
disposable millions to throw at their semi-talented offspring, it's
going to be that way.

Your posts on this thread are cracking me up. Reality can be that way
sometimes.

Yeah, reality is a funny bitch, ain't it?
Boom

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:20:23 GMT, (Vin) wrote:

I have always ascribed to the same philosophy the Allman Brothers Band
allways had and that is "Do only in the studio what you can do live."

I used to ascribe to that philosohy as well.

why though? i say make the album version the best you can make it because
thats the version people are going to hear a thousand times, most people
will never hear the live version or might hear it once or twice, at best a
handful of times if you're around for a while. i say if the song sounds better
with a full orchestra then put one in, if it sounds better with two overlapping
lead vocal tracks, go for it. who cares if you can't reproduce it live,
maybe you can do one of the vocal melodies on guitar live. wanna overdub
drum tracks? do it if its going to make the song better.

My opinion is that I'm totally for whatever approach a band wants to
take. If they want to not play anything they can't duplicate live,
that's great. If they want to add a million overdubs like Queen,
that's fine, too. Neither approach is wrong. Me, I like the best of
both worlds...I'm not above adding extra harmonies or overdubbing a
lead for a 3-piece band, but I don't go nuts adding overdubs for hours
and hours. I don't have the patience.

if your songs sound a little different live, a little rawer there's nothing
wrong with that, it makes it interesting. i like it when bands rework their
arrangements, or change melodies, or jam things out, etc.. it keeps things
fresh and it gives me a reason to buy the live album. if i want to hear
the album version well, i'll just put on the album.

I don't mind if a band adds a little or jams a little or doesn't
exactly duplicate the album version, but I don't like to hear radical
reworkings of songs. I once saw Devo and they opened with an acoustic
version of "Jocko Homo" that sounded nothing like the original, and
while it was good for a laugh, I was bummed they didn't do the
original herky-jerky version.
Boom

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:50:32 GMT, (Vin) wrote:

that was awesome.

Thank you

Gee whiz, some of you really need to get over yourselves if you want
to play music for a living. Here's the deal...the person whose is
offering you the gig reigns supreme. If you have the leeway to play
what you want to play, it's only because of their benevolence. If
they're not so giving, then you shut up, play what they want to hear,
collect your paycheck, and do your own side project if you have a big
musical jones you need to let loose. Alison Krauss is not hurting for
musicians who would love to play in her band.

You can say what you want to about musical integrity and how
non-creative it is, but no amount of whining is going to change the
fact that the person signing your checks calls the shots and if they
want it done a certain way, they will hire and fire as many musicians
as it takes to get it done. I lead bands sometimes, and I do sideman
work as well. When I lead the band, I don't want to hear someone
whining about what I'm asking them to play. Just play the damn gig,
get your money, and go home. Likewise, I give the bandleaders I work
with the same respect.

I saw one comment about "I'd rather empty garbage cans than do a gig
like Alison Krauss." Well, my advice to you is get some heavy work
gloves, some steel-toed boots, and work on your upper body strength,
because the likelihood is that you WILL be toting garbage cans instead
of playing music for a living. Unless of course you have your own
project that's really good and gets picked up by a record company.
And then instead of a bandleader who knows her **** telling you what
to do, you'll have a bunch of stupid accountants and lawyers who don't
know dick about music telling you what to do, as well as a producer
who has his own agenda for what he wants your music to sound like.
And if you don't do it, you'll get forgotten and they will either
delay your projects until you do what they want or they'll just let
your contract run out and prevent you from going elsewhere without
paying a hefty price.

Of course, you can go the Ani DiFranco route and start your own label
and do exactly what you want when you want to do it. But how many Ani
DiFrancos are there who have done that and been successful and made
money? So for most of us, the best thing to do is just make the best
of the situation we're in, and go home with some decent cash at the
end of the night. Or go get another job and play music on the side,
and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I'm just telling you how
it is if you want to play music for a living. And that's exactly how
it is. Just remember the Golden Rule: "The one with the gold rules."

DeserTBoB

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 04:26:52 GMT, JMK wrote:

"Don Evans" wrote in

I'm not one for crystal clear female voices, preferring
the dark timbres of a Chrissie Hynde snip

Hynde sings? She's almost as bad as Linda McCartney!

dB

DeserTBoB

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:22:10 -0600, Tracy Wintermute
wrote:

On 7 Jan 2005 09:32:54 -0500, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

a public figure backed by studio
musicians singing songs selected by producers from a cadre of
commercial songwriters.

Isn't this, really, what has been going on with most of the 'popular'
music since at least the 30s?

It was maybe the 60s when it became a 'badge of honor' for _some_
performers to actually perform what they themselves actually composed
(while the other method continued for others.) But that badge is
largely only recognized by other performers, 'purists', and those who
have deified themselves for having the knowledge of 'how things should
really be'.... not by the majority of the listening public. snip

That's exactly the criticism levelled at 3 Dog Night in their
heyday...they didn't write any of their own songs. They didn't have
to. Their success was picking the right songs and arranging them to
make hits...which they did quite well, earning them 12 golds. Rock
"purists" (if there are really such things) moaned and groaned, and
their heroes limped off with maybe 50K units per album. As far as
commercial success went, 3 Dog Night was king for about 5 years.
Heroin messed that up for them, like it did for most rockers/poppers
at that time.

You look back into the swing/big band era, almost NONE of the
heavyweights of that era "wrote their own songs." I think it's a
bunch of horse ****. Writers write songs, performers perform
them...division of labor that works.

dB
Richard Edmondson

"Matt" wrote in message
news
In defense of Billy Joel, he admitted in an interview (I've lost which
one) that he had to take "The Stranger" out of his set for a few years
because the band (especially Liberty) kept making faces and doing funny
things in an effort to make him laugh and screw up the whistling. He was
not pre-recording that part of the show. As to the rest, I cannot say
since I have never seen him live. The video taped live performances I
have seen, suggest to me that he and the band are really playing. He just
has amazing piano and vocal (and whistling) chops. Some folks do.

Matt Porter

I saw Billy Joel during the Storm Front tour in about 1990 or so. A storm
knocked out the power to the arena for a minute. You could hear Liberty
playing a few beats before he stopped. When the power came back on they
picked up where they had left off in the song. Very cool. 99.7634% sure
there was no lip syncing that night. :-)

Vin

My opinion is that I'm totally for whatever approach a band wants to
take. If they want to not play anything they can't duplicate live,
that's great. If they want to add a million overdubs like Queen,
that's fine, too. Neither approach is wrong. Me, I like the best of
both worlds...I'm not above adding extra harmonies or overdubbing a
lead for a 3-piece band, but I don't go nuts adding overdubs for hours
and hours. I don't have the patience.

i would do whatever it takes to make the song as perfect as possible and
the thought of how i would reproduce it live would never enter my mind.

if your songs sound a little different live, a little rawer there's nothing
wrong with that, it makes it interesting. i like it when bands rework their
arrangements, or change melodies, or jam things out, etc.. it keeps things
fresh and it gives me a reason to buy the live album. if i want to hear
the album version well, i'll just put on the album.

I don't mind if a band adds a little or jams a little or doesn't
exactly duplicate the album version, but I don't like to hear radical
reworkings of songs. I once saw Devo and they opened with an acoustic
version of "Jocko Homo" that sounded nothing like the original, and
while it was good for a laugh, I was bummed they didn't do the
original herky-jerky version.

well that sounds more like reworking a song just for the sake of doing it,
it has to be as good or better than the original arrangement, otherwise
whats the point.

Mark Marsh

Tony Ennis wrote:
FZ and the MoI were doing a show similar to American Bandstand. They were
told to lipsync and that they didn't need to play their instruments. Since
they weren't making real music, they decided they didn't need real
instruments, raided a janitor's closet, and 'played' brooms and mops.

Funny. A buddy of mine was in the Vegetables and they got a slot on
American Bandstand. He plugged one end of an instrument cable into
his guitar, and another player plugged the other end of the cable into
his instrument. The thing was dangling a couple of feet off the ground.
Look ma, no amps!
-Mark
Sam Savoca

"Boom" wrote in message

Gee whiz, some of you really need to get over yourselves if you want
to play music for a living.

It isn't like that at all Boom. What if your income isn't dependent on
music and only play for the sake of playing? Finding a great group of
museos and taking it where it will go is my goal. When I was in your
situation and trying to make a living playing music, I felt the same as you
and would do whatever it took. However, I'm a weekend warrior now and do it
for my jollies. I only do about 6-8 gigs a month. Different situation.

I saw one comment about "I'd rather empty garbage cans than do a gig
like Alison Krauss." Well, my advice to you is get some heavy work
gloves, some steel-toed boots, and work on your upper body strength,
because the likelihood is that you WILL be toting garbage cans instead
of playing music for a living.

I'm not in your situation and hold a different opinion. There's nothing
wrong with that. See my comment above. I learned a long time ago that I
didn't like playing music when my income depended on it. I was much better
off finding another way to make money that allowed me to play what I wanted.
It was a personal decision and just my opinion.

Sam S.

Agent 86

Boom wrote:

I don't mind if a band adds a little or jams a little or doesn't
exactly duplicate the album version, but I don't like to hear radical
reworkings of songs.

You would have really hated Todd Rundgren's Witt a Twist tour.

Personally, I thought it was great.

MikeMandaville

I don't want to hear vocal backing tracks of any kind, myself...but
that's just me. If you need additional voices, hire 'em.

jak

This is from the same post which I have already commented upon, but
concerns a related issue, which I wanted to comment upon seperately.
Joni Mitchell, The Carpenters, and Queen are three examples of
musicians who use vocal tracks which fit into a unique category: they
are produced live, though electronically - evidently, through a
phase-locked loop. Sing into the input, and take as many vocals as you
want out at the output. I think that the antithesis of this approach
would be something like Sly Stone's "Love And Haight", where each
individual vocal appears to have optimum independence. I love those
independent "voodoo" background vocals!

mf2112NOSPAM*@yahoo.com

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:00:52 -0800, DeserTBoB
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 04:26:52 GMT, JMK wrote:

"Don Evans" wrote in

I'm not one for crystal clear female voices, preferring
the dark timbres of a Chrissie Hynde snip

Hynde sings? She's almost as bad as Linda McCartney!

dB

You want to hear a female singer check out Mavis Staples from the
Staple singers. My this women has got soul up the yin yang (Whatever
the heck that means). IMHO She has more soul than Aretha and Gladys
combined and these two ladies are awesome as well. Everytime I hear
Mavis I get goosebumps. She is phenominal and a forgotten talent. Its
a shame really.
Regards
Mike
mf2112NOSPAM*@yahoo.com

On 8 Jan 2005 07:17:00 -0800, "MikeMandaville"
wrote:

want out at the output. I think that the antithesis of this approach
would be something like Sly Stone's "Love And Haight",

I thought I was the only one who knew that tune. I am impressed Mike.
I have the album now but, as a kid that tune was the flip side to the
"Family affair" 45. Sly was pretty innovative in those days. First
drum machine I ever heard was from Sly and he uses it often on
the"There's a riot goin on" album. Actually they called this drum
machine "the rhythm ace". Sounded cheesy like an old Lowery organ drum
sequence but worked well with Sly.

Regards
Mike

KevinHalpin57

i worked with purdie a bunch of times - kinda an asshole ... EXTREMELY full of
himself
Skip Elliott Bowman

Boom, once again you are right on the money. This is something that any
successful musician has to learn: do your job. If you don't like the job,
then don't take the job. Get your own band, but then you'd better hope that
the musicians you hire won't give you lip about what you want them to play.

Q: How you get a musician to complain?
A: Give him a gig.

"Boom" wrote in message
[...]

Skip Elliott Bowman

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

I remember seeing the Beatles in '64.

Yeah, Bernard Purdie did a great job, that night. :-)

Couple years ago, BP sat in with a band in which I played bass at the
time--he was old friends with the bandleader. BP didn't know the tune or
the arrangement or punches (a John Scofield song, slow-medium double-time
feel--don't recall the title), so I cued him when they came up. Only needed
to do it one time, then he had them. It was one of the most enjoyable times
I have ever had performing. This 60-something year-old drummer was
sweating like a newbie up there, which was encouraging--if he can sweat
sitting in and still play his arse off, then I've no excuse to do otherwise.
A total sweetheart of a guy, too. He hung out until they closed up for the
night, chatting with anyone who wanted to meet him. What a pro. What a
joy.

I also saw him play with Madonna's band on SNL one show. She sang "Fever"
and Madonna put him on a riser right behind her. Seeing him play with her
(and kicking the band dead square in the arse while he was at it) gave me a
whole new respect for both him and her.

hank alrich

Richard Edmondson wrote:

I saw Billy Joel during the Storm Front tour in about 1990 or so. A storm
knocked out the power to the arena for a minute. You could hear Liberty
playing a few beats before he stopped. When the power came back on they
picked up where they had left off in the song. Very cool. 99.7634% sure
there was no lip syncing that night. :-)

In the '70's at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin TX Frank Zappa
and the Mothers were mid-song when Frank was informed a bomb threat had
been called in to the club. He stopped the band mid-measure, calmly
delivered the need for an exit plan to an audience that quickly and
carefully left the building. The cops and the fire guys went through the
place and gave the all-clear. Frank and team took the stage and started
right where they'd left off.

--
ha

Alan Tignanelli

hank alrich wrote:
Richard Edmondson wrote:

I saw Billy Joel during the Storm Front tour in about 1990 or so. A storm
knocked out the power to the arena for a minute. You could hear Liberty
playing a few beats before he stopped. When the power came back on they
picked up where they had left off in the song. Very cool. 99.7634% sure
there was no lip syncing that night. :-)

In the '70's at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin TX Frank Zappa
and the Mothers were mid-song when Frank was informed a bomb threat had
been called in to the club. He stopped the band mid-measure, calmly
delivered the need for an exit plan to an audience that quickly and
carefully left the building. The cops and the fire guys went through the
place and gave the all-clear. Frank and team took the stage and started
right where they'd left off.

1996 at the Bottom Line, Michael Hedges broke a string in the middle of "Silent Anticipations". Put
the new string on, tuned up as the audience clapped along, then picked up the song right where the
string had broken.

Then again, these guys *are* slightly talented.

Alan
james of tucson

On 2005-01-08, DeserTBoB wrote:

Carole King...face that'll stop an 8 day clock, voice like Brillo,

Different strokes I guess. Maybe you just don't find Jewish dames
attractive?
Sean Dolan

AMEN!

I play as a three-piece (bass, drums, guitar) all the time and I, the
drummer, sing every tune. 3 one hour sets worth of rock.

It's quite demanding, but we love it for that!

I will admit, that I run a few sequences here and there but only for
keyboard parts. But that's mainly for my own benefit. I figure, I made the
sequences from scratch, I should show that off.

For instance: We do some Rush and I run sequences for Tom Sawyer and Show
Don't Tell. Both made from scratch on my Mac, Roland JV-2080, Ensoniq
EPS-16+, and played on my iPod with click on one side and keys on the other.
I even sampled my voice and lowered it on Show Don't Tell for the "I WILL BE
THE JUDGE" and "GIVE THE JURY DIRECTION" parts! hehehehe

I also have a sequence for U2's "Beautiful Day" that I'm quite proud of.

-S

On 1/7/05 6:23 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

"Vin" wrote in message

if your songs sound a little different live, a little rawer there's

nothing
wrong with that, it makes it interesting. i like it when bands rework

their
arrangements, or change melodies, or jam things out, etc.. it keeps things
fresh and it gives me a reason to buy the live album. if i want to hear
the album version well, i'll just put on the album.

Well said. I find it interesting to see how the guitarist makes the
comprimises necessary to play a live show. This is particularly interesting
when there's only one guitarist, and he has to try to cover both rhythm and
lead . There's few things more demanding than playing live as a
three-piece.

--
"Timpani! Take your drums to Brooklyn, play the same volume, you'll be
fine." -Otto Werner Mueller on my "Piannissimo" entrance in a Juilliard

Remove: Spamoff from email address to reply.

DeserTBoB

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:14:32 GMT, james of tucson
wrote:

Different strokes I guess. Maybe you just don't find Jewish dames
attractive? snip

Her talent for writing sure was. The rest? Wellllll....

dB
Boom

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:52:09 GMT, (Vin) wrote:

My opinion is that I'm totally for whatever approach a band wants to
take. If they want to not play anything they can't duplicate live,
that's great. If they want to add a million overdubs like Queen,
that's fine, too. Neither approach is wrong. Me, I like the best of
both worlds...I'm not above adding extra harmonies or overdubbing a
lead for a 3-piece band, but I don't go nuts adding overdubs for hours
and hours. I don't have the patience.

i would do whatever it takes to make the song as perfect as possible and
the thought of how i would reproduce it live would never enter my mind.

Well like I said it's as valid an approach as any.

[...]

That's just my whole point...it's never as good as the original. I
can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

Boom

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:57:41 -0500, "Sam Savoca"
wrote:

"Boom" wrote in message
.. .

Gee whiz, some of you really need to get over yourselves if you want
to play music for a living.

It isn't like that at all Boom. What if your income isn't dependent on
music and only play for the sake of playing?

Um, I believe the phrase "if you want to play music for a living"
covers that.

Finding a great group of
museos and taking it where it will go is my goal. When I was in your
situation and trying to make a living playing music, I felt the same as you
and would do whatever it took. However, I'm a weekend warrior now and do it
for my jollies. I only do about 6-8 gigs a month. Different situation.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that approach. My whole thing was
directed at people who want to make a living playing music and attach
all these qualifications about how they make that living like they
have any power to change things.

Boom

wrote:

I don't want to hear vocal backing tracks of any kind, myself...but
that's just me. If you need additional voices, hire 'em.

**** that! I'd rather cut my own voice and the voices of the guys in
my band several times and save the money. In the end, nobody cares.

This is from the same post which I have already commented upon, but
concerns a related issue, which I wanted to comment upon seperately.
Joni Mitchell, The Carpenters, and Queen are three examples of
musicians who use vocal tracks which fit into a unique category: they
are produced live, though electronically - evidently, through a
phase-locked loop. Sing into the input, and take as many vocals as you
want out at the output. I think that the antithesis of this approach
would be something like Sly Stone's "Love And Haight", where each
individual vocal appears to have optimum independence. I love those
independent "voodoo" background vocals!

A phase locked loop? I don't think so...they overdubbed themselves
several times.
Boom

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 19:10:48 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Couple years ago, BP sat in with a band in which I played bass at the
time--he was old friends with the bandleader. BP didn't know the tune or
the arrangement or punches (a John Scofield song, slow-medium double-time
feel--don't recall the title), so I cued him when they came up. Only needed
to do it one time, then he had them. It was one of the most enjoyable times
I have ever had performing. This 60-something year-old drummer was
sweating like a newbie up there, which was encouraging--if he can sweat
sitting in and still play his arse off, then I've no excuse to do otherwise.
A total sweetheart of a guy, too. He hung out until they closed up for the
night, chatting with anyone who wanted to meet him. What a pro. What a
joy.

I only met the guy once but I felt the same way you did. I was
working in a photography store in Miami about 20 years ago and Bernard
did all his photo shoots there. I went in and helped him set up this
electronic drumkit he was endorsing at the time, and talked and talked
about music the whole time. Just an absolutely wonderful guy.

I also saw him play with Madonna's band on SNL one show. She sang "Fever"
and Madonna put him on a riser right behind her. Seeing him play with her
(and kicking the band dead square in the arse while he was at it) gave me a
whole new respect for both him and her.

Madonna can sing when she wants. She's not totally without talent.
Vin

That's just my whole point...it's never as good as the original. I
can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

heh what? i guess it depends what you mean by rearranged. there are
thousands of examples of songs that sound better live than they do
on the record. there are plenty of examples of songs that sound
completely different acoustic but yet are just as good as the original
version. some bands tweak their songs live, add jams.. if you mean a
total reworking i'd suggesting listening to tools pu**** from Ænema
and then the slow, live version from salival. they're very different
and as good as the original version is, the live version is even better.
or radiohead - like spinning plates. since you're probably not familiar
with those songs, here's one you should know, eric clapton - layla.
or what about covers? hendrix - all along the watchtower (dylan),
gary jules - mad world (tears for fears), rage against the machine -
tom joad (springsteen), etc..

Vin

Certainly it's a valid approach, but whether everyone, or anyone, else
would think it's perfect as possible is another matter.

um thats kinda the case no matter what you do.

If it's so perfect that it's boring and nobody buys it, is it perfect?

that doesn't even make sense.

Perhaps so, if making money from the music isn't a goal, but perfection
according to the artist's definition is.

exactly, so the -artist- should do everything they want to make -their-
song as good as it can be, i don't see the value in making compromises
just so that it'll be easier to pull off live.

Joe Sensor

I've been watching this and you you seem more like a fizzle, honestly.

Boom wrote:

That's just my whole point...it's never as good as the original. I
can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

Are you f*ing kidding?

I bet you there are THOUSANDS of songs that you love that are total
remakes of originals that were so poorly implemented that you never even
heard them. And plenty that you HAVE heard, and forgotten.
Joe Sensor

Ashlee's biggest fumble

On MTV, she bored us. On 'SNL,' she conned us.
Tuesday night, football fans struck back. 'Bout time.

By ISAAC GUZMAN

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-229875c.html

Joe Sensor

Holy **** is she bad!!

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2662083?htv=12

John P

"Jack A. Zucker" wrote in a message

I believe if you're over 40 you just can't understand this phenomenon.
Kids today just don't care. It's not music, it's a show and a show is
choreographed and it doesn't matter if anyone is improvising, playing,
etc. The only important value is whether it's entertaining. In that
regard, much of today's concerts and performances are more like Nintendo
than music to me. Of course there are many exceptions but I think the vast
majority of music today is strictly about the show and PR.

Yeah. Us over 40 people remember when GOOD bands played live and didn't do
that lip sync crap - like on American Bandstand. ... OK... well, so they lip
synced on Bandstand, but, so what? ... they COULD have played and sang live
if they wanted!

I don't understand why anyone cares.

Boom

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:21:28 GMT, (Vin) wrote:

That's just my whole point...it's never as good as the original. I
can't think of one song that any band rearranged and made it as good
as the original.

heh what? i guess it depends what you mean by rearranged. there are
thousands of examples of songs that sound better live than they do
on the record.

I agree, but live is usually just a tweaking out of the songs after
years of playing them, not necessarily a full-on rearrangement.

there are plenty of examples of songs that sound
completely different acoustic but yet are just as good as the original
version.

There are? I hate that whole acoustic unplugged thing.

some bands tweak their songs live, add jams.. if you mean a
total reworking i'd suggesting listening to tools pu**** from Ænema
and then the slow, live version from salival. they're very different
and as good as the original version is, the live version is even better.
or radiohead - like spinning plates.

I was talking more about bands rearranging their own stuff.

since you're probably not familiar
with those songs, here's one you should know, eric clapton - layla.

Hated it. The original arrangement is a million times better.

or what about covers? hendrix - all along the watchtower (dylan),
gary jules - mad world (tears for fears), rage against the machine -
tom joad (springsteen), etc..

Cover versions are fine. I wasn't talking about other bands
rearranging other people's songs. Should have made myself a little
clearer.
Don Evans

"John P" wrote in message
"Jack A. Zucker" wrote in a message

I believe if you're over 40 you just can't understand this phenomenon.
Kids today just don't care. It's not music, it's a show and a show is
choreographed and it doesn't matter if anyone is improvising, playing,
etc. The only important value is whether it's entertaining. In that
regard, much of today's concerts and performances are more like Nintendo
than music to me. Of course there are many exceptions but I think the
vast majority of music today is strictly about the show and PR.

Yeah. Us over 40 people remember when GOOD bands played live and didn't do
that lip sync crap - like on American Bandstand. ... OK... well, so they
lip synced on Bandstand, but, so what? ... they COULD have played and sang
live if they wanted!

I don't understand why anyone cares.

Back in those days, the bands didn't lip sync because they couldn't perform,
it was because TV sound capabilities fairly well sucked for featured music.
There was no time allotted to "get sounds", forget about monitors, and mixes
were rudimentary and dry at best. Ed Sullivan and a few other higher budget
shows weren't terrible, but most of the kid oriented shows had far less
audio facilities than the average home studio these days. Bands WANTED to
play live, and were embarrassed when they had to lip sync.

Don

www.don-evans.com