Bill Wilson

Default Monster Pro 3500

Has anyone ever used a Monster Pro 3500? If so, what do you think of
it? Would you recommend it for a small home studio?

Bill Wilson
Scott Dorsey

Bill Wilson wrote:
Has anyone ever used a Monster Pro 3500? If so, what do you think of
it? Would you recommend it for a small home studio?

It is a fairly low-grade set of line filters, with some surge protection.
It also has a sequencer, which I suppose could be useful if you are turning
things on and off all the time.

What problem are you trying to solve with this? If you are dealing with
line noise issues, an industrial-grade filter will probably be more effective
and cost less, but it won't have the sequencer on it and will have only one
isolated output.

The nice thing about it is that it has a lot of line filters in a single box,
so if you have something in the studio that is a known source of line noise,
you can put it on one filter and you can put everything else on other filters.
With an increasing number of computers showing up in studios, this can be
a big deal.

Bill Wilson

What problem are you trying to solve with this?

A couple of things. First, I'd like to protect my gear from surges.
Second I'd like to have my gear plugged into power that did not have a
lot of noise in it. What lead me to try and achieve this is when a
hair dryer goes on in the next room I can hear it in my system. It's a
buzz that goes right from my P3000 into my monitors. The hair dryer
goes off and so does the noise. The power into my studio is on a
separate circuit from the one the hair dryer is plugged into. I know
the panel box is grounded and so are both of these circuits. So, if I
can obviously hear the hair dryer I'm wondering what other noise is
getting in that is not so obvious. The freezer goes on periodically,
fans, clothes washers, dryers, etc. I don't notice these but the hair
dryer I do.

Bill Wilson

Scott Dorsey

Bill Wilson wrote:
What problem are you trying to solve with this?

A couple of things. First, I'd like to protect my gear from surges.

If that is the case, get an arrestor installed on the main panel and
make sure your building ground is solid and clean. THEN, and only then,
put some sort of surge protector on the individual circuit.

Second I'd like to have my gear plugged into power that did not have a
lot of noise in it. What lead me to try and achieve this is when a
hair dryer goes on in the next room I can hear it in my system. It's a
buzz that goes right from my P3000 into my monitors. The hair dryer
goes off and so does the noise. The power into my studio is on a
separate circuit from the one the hair dryer is plugged into. I know
the panel box is grounded and so are both of these circuits. So, if I
can obviously hear the hair dryer I'm wondering what other noise is
getting in that is not so obvious. The freezer goes on periodically,
fans, clothes washers, dryers, etc. I don't notice these but the hair
dryer I do.

This may well be RF trash and not related to the power line at all. Try
plugging the hair dryer into an outlet on the other side of the building.
If it's a power line issue, it will still be just as bad.

And if it is a power line issue, look into a big line filter for all the
gear. They show up surplus at reasonable prices. You don't need to
isolate the individual pieces of equipment in the studio from one another,
so you can drop them all on one filter. C&H Sales in Pasadena, CA often
has some nice ones at good prices. Because these things are basically a
big pi filter with a huge inductor in the middle, you can more or less
judge them by weight...