Carey Carlan

Default Middle School is Fun!

Recorded the end-of-year concert for the symphony orchestra at the middle
school today. Recording 11-13 year olds in a hundred piece orchestra is
alway interesting, but the timing made this most unusual.

They performed in the cafeteria immediately (as in 5 minutes) after lunch.
So I recorded them over the noise of tables being folded, an indoor-size
street sweeper scrubbing floors at the other end of the room, dishwashers
(machines) running, dishwashers (people) shouting to be heard over that
damn orchestra playing so close to the kitchen, freezers freezing and
refrigerators refrigerating.

It was a blast.
Scott Chapin

"Carey Carlan" wrote in message
. 201...
Recorded the end-of-year concert for the symphony orchestra at the middle
school today. Recording 11-13 year olds in a hundred piece orchestra is
alway interesting, but the timing made this most unusual.

They performed in the cafeteria immediately (as in 5 minutes) after lunch.
So I recorded them over the noise of tables being folded, an indoor-size
street sweeper scrubbing floors at the other end of the room, dishwashers
(machines) running, dishwashers (people) shouting to be heard over that
damn orchestra playing so close to the kitchen, freezers freezing and
refrigerators refrigerating.

It was a blast.

Must be your first year...........yeah.

Been doing it for 6 years now. No more without money! :-)

Scott Chapin

Carey Carlan

"Scott Chapin" wrote in
:

It was a blast.

Must be your first year...........yeah.

Been doing it for 6 years now. No more without money! :-)

I've been doing it for about the same time, and, yes, I'm paid for the
effort. It's just the "cognitive dissonance" of listening to what would be
serious music (diluted versions of Finlandia and the New World Symphony)
played by middle schoolers in a place slightly less noisy than an Irish bar
on Saturday night.

Logan Shaw

Carey Carlan wrote:

Recorded the end-of-year concert for the symphony orchestra at the middle
school today. Recording 11-13 year olds in a hundred piece orchestra is
alway interesting, but the timing made this most unusual.

Yeah, that's about how middle school orchestra works: the timing is
most unusual. Not to mention the tuning; that's usually unusual too.

- Logan

ThePaulThomas

Carey Carlan wrote in message .201...

They performed in the cafeteria immediately (as in 5 minutes) after lunch.
So I recorded them over the noise of tables being folded, an indoor-size
street sweeper scrubbing floors at the other end of the room, dishwashers
(machines) running, dishwashers (people) shouting to be heard over that
damn orchestra playing so close to the kitchen, freezers freezing and
refrigerators refrigerating.

It was a blast.

Are you bald now? I know I would be after pulling all of my hair out. ;-)

Dave Miller

Carey Carlan wrote in message .202...
"Scott Chapin" wrote in
:

It was a blast.

Must be your first year...........yeah.

Been doing it for 6 years now. No more without money! :-)

I've been doing it for about the same time, and, yes, I'm paid for the
effort. It's just the "cognitive dissonance" of listening to what would be
serious music (diluted versions of Finlandia and the New World Symphony)
played by middle schoolers in a place slightly less noisy than an Irish bar
on Saturday night.

Carey et al:

I've also been doing this sort of thing for about 5 years, but in very
nice performing arts centers (every suburbian high school in our area
has one of these now). Over an 8 day period every spring I and a
couple associates (more than one school going at once) sit for 8-9
hours per day and listen (record) to a total of around 260 groups
(over 10,000 kids) parading by in their best bib and tuckers, and in
many cases playing some pretty fine music.

Included are both Middle School and High School groups ranging from
Symphonic and Concert Bands to Wind Ensembles and all the varieties of
String Orchestras. They play three selections within 20 minutes for
an audience of 3 judges and usually only a few intrepid parents and
some of the other band kids. We record in two track stereo and
immediately burn a CD which is literally almost handed to the director
as he leaves the stage. Not quite - he gets it in a package which
also includes the judges' reports and ratings and it takes them a few
minutes after each performance to do this work.

The pay is our standard on-location $60 per hour rate and well worth
the effort although on about the 6th day one's attention span begins
to get a bit shorter and the eyes start to droop after lunch. Of
course any glitches in the gear can get your attention in a hurry
since there are obviously no second chances.

The other income producer is offering copies of the CD's for sale
after the events are over. We do this for $4 each with no label in a
paper sleeve. The better directors sometimes use booster funds to buy
one for each kid in the band. Others just take orders from the
kids/parents. Some (most) do nothing.

The wonder of the whole thing is where all these musicians (and many
are quite good) go after their school days are over. Guess they
become "audience" but certainly with some knowledge of the music.
This can't be all bad.

Dave Miller
Miller Analog Studios

Jay Kadis

Carey Carlan wrote:

Recorded the end-of-year concert for the symphony orchestra at the middle
school today. Recording 11-13 year olds in a hundred piece orchestra is
alway interesting, but the timing made this most unusual.

They performed in the cafeteria immediately (as in 5 minutes) after lunch.
So I recorded them over the noise of tables being folded, an indoor-size
street sweeper scrubbing floors at the other end of the room, dishwashers
(machines) running, dishwashers (people) shouting to be heard over that
damn orchestra playing so close to the kitchen, freezers freezing and
refrigerators refrigerating.

It was a blast.

I just recorded Les Miserables for the high school at which my wife teaches. I
think I have about 50 hours into the project: recorded multitrack to DA-38
through a Soundcraft 200 Delta. Then mixed via D8B and Protools for
editing/repairing. etc. Of course they need the 2-CD set replicated before the
end of the school year. Some of it is surprisingly good, especially since the
actual productions used 10 wireless mics they rented and they never got a full
performance without losing several solos to malfunctions. The gunshots were
fun: I now have impulse responses for a lousy-sounding "theater".

-Jay
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

Carey Carlan wrote in message .201...

They performed in the cafeteria immediately (as in 5 minutes) after lunch.
So I recorded them over the noise of tables being folded, an indoor-size
street sweeper scrubbing floors at the other end of the room, dishwashers
(machines) running, dishwashers (people) shouting to be heard over that
damn orchestra playing so close to the kitchen, freezers freezing and
refrigerators refrigerating.

It was a blast.

Seems the ideal venue for P.D.Q. Bach's "Concerto for Horn and
Hardart."
Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Les Cargill

Logan Shaw wrote:

Carey Carlan wrote:

Recorded the end-of-year concert for the symphony orchestra at the
middle school today. Recording 11-13 year olds in a hundred piece
orchestra is alway interesting, but the timing made this most unusual.

Yeah, that's about how middle school orchestra works: the timing is
most unusual. Not to mention the tuning; that's usually unusual too.

- Logan

Middle schoolers do not have stratum one clocks. The hormones
affect their perception of time something awful.

--
Les Cargill

Bob Cain

Les Cargill wrote:

Middle schoolers do not have stratum one clocks. The hormones
affect their perception of time something awful.

What on earth is a stratum one clock?

Thanks,

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Tommy B

NO.
Horn and Hardart! I used to eat there in NYC when I lived there in the
70's. Are they still around?

Carlos

Dave Miller

Carey Carlan wrote in message .202...
(Dave Miller) wrote in
om:

snip

We record in two track stereo and
immediately burn a CD which is literally almost handed to the director
as he leaves the stage. Not quite - he gets it in a package which
also includes the judges' reports and ratings and it takes them a few
minutes after each performance to do this work.

The pay is our standard on-location $60 per hour rate and well worth
the effort although on about the 6th day one's attention span begins
to get a bit shorter and the eyes start to droop after lunch. Of
course any glitches in the gear can get your attention in a hurry
since there are obviously no second chances.

The other income producer is offering copies of the CD's for sale
after the events are over.

It would seem to me that the best way to do this would be to record 2 CD's
simultaneously, deliver one, and keep the other for dupes. That way you
have a backup if the first one fails.

How do you handle it?

Carey:

We handle it thusly: Bring our standard computers with burners, Cool
Edit or whatever, Nero or whatever, record each of the three tunes,
and save them using a code name for each group. Then burn the CD with
the three tunes on separate tracks. Hand the CD to the site
supervisor. Keep the files on the computers. Take them home and wait
for orders for copies. When orders arrive, locate the necessary files
using the code, burn the copies, mail to school director. Works like
a charm (except on occasion, we get a code mixed up and send the
director somebody else's band which they just love - particularly if
the group is better than their's).

We have never had a burn failure. Have had a few recording problems
over the years when a computer glitch of some sort might occur just as
the downbeat is being given. But this has been rare over the 5 year
period we've been doing this sort of work.

That's about it. There is one incongruity, though. I bring my U-47's
to use as a spaced pair, but run them through one of those little tiny
$69 Behringer mixers! Sound quality is very good, however, and orders
of magnitude better than they used to get when the schools did the
work themselves on cassette machines with whatever beat-up dynamic
mics they had laying around.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Miller

Chris/Power Salad wrote in message . ..
On 21 May 2004 07:04:33 -0700, (Dave Miller) wrote:

The other income producer is offering copies of the CD's for sale
after the events are over. We do this for $4 each with no label in a
paper sleeve. The better directors sometimes use booster funds to buy
one for each kid in the band. Others just take orders from the
kids/parents. Some (most) do nothing.

Getting a little away from topic, sorry, do you get the licenses/pay
the royalties on the copyrighted stuff you record? I'm relatively new
at this as a business, and the established firm in this part of my
state seems to harp on the fact that even tho these recordings are in
effect "private"/vanity recordings and not in general release, they
are still liable for the royalties and subject to penalties etc. if
not paid...so I have adopted this and worked it into my pricing - and
it is one PIA...has anyone ever mentioned this or made it an issue?
This other firm actually lied to a prospective client about me saying
that I didn't pay the royalties (when I did) - I got the job anyway.

Do any of you who do this sort of work ever deal with this?
Technically we are indeed required to pay royalties if CDs are
duplicated, I just wonder how much "real world" it is done.....Thanks.

Chris:

We don't pay royalties on this sort of thing because the quantities
are so low. We're only talking a few copies for a few groups here.
It is not a big money maker for anyone. Primarily for the benefit of
the kids and parents (to put in the pile along with the bronzed baby
shoes!). Technically, of course, we should pay somebody something,
but this whole process creates interest and many of the guys who write
or arrange the charts used certainly want to keep the action going in
that regard. Much more lucrative than collecting $.37 from a few CD's
made of the performance.

Dave

Les Cargill

Bob Cain wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

Middle schoolers do not have stratum one clocks. The hormones
affect their perception of time something awful.

What on earth is a stratum one clock?

http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm

Thanks,

Bob

--
Les Cargill

Bob Cain

Les Cargill wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

Middle schoolers do not have stratum one clocks. The hormones
affect their perception of time something awful.

What on earth is a stratum one clock?

http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm

Oh. :-)

Thanks,

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Peter Larsen

Carey Carlan wrote:

Recorded the end-of-year concert for the symphony orchestra at the middle
school today. Recording 11-13 year olds in a hundred piece orchestra is
alway interesting, but the timing made this most unusual.

They performed in the cafeteria immediately (as in 5 minutes) after lunch.
So I recorded them over the noise of tables being folded, an indoor-size
street sweeper scrubbing floors at the other end of the room, dishwashers
(machines) running, dishwashers (people) shouting to be heard over that
damn orchestra playing so close to the kitchen, freezers freezing and
refrigerators refrigerating.

Ah, well there is at least one major Oeuvre that contains a part for a
vacuum cleaner.

It was a blast.

I believe you. It must be great motivation for the musicians with that
degree of respect from the school establishment.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

O.T. Poll Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 41 September 25th 04 02:46 PM
Old School Audio Mic Pre Package Rick Ruskin Marketplace 0 September 20th 04 05:07 AM
FA: Old School Huge Magnavox Boombox on Ebay Frank B. Marketplace 0 March 22nd 04 03:48 PM
Recording High School Band - horns question Michael W. Ellis Pro Audio 5 October 21st 03 01:37 PM