Scott Gardner

Default Can most alternators be rewound for higher output?

I have a 1972 Dodge Charger with a 440 big-block. I recently
purchased a new PowerMaster chrome alternator that puts out 83 amps at
highway speed. Here's the URL for the alternator, if you're curious.

http://tinyurl.com/wrc6

I've since decided to go much bigger on my stereo, and would
like more output from my alternator. I can't return the one I have,
and besides, I really like the way it looks and fits in the car.

Can I take it to an alternator shop and have it re-wound for
more output? If so, how much can I reasonably expect to get out of
it, and how does this cost compare with just buying a new alternator
outright?

Thanks,
Scott Gardner

Paul Vina

To some degree, ye, they can be rewound. The size of your case will
determine if it can be done and to what amperage you can go. Consult a
local alternator rebuid shop.

Paul Vina