sophie_il

Default Internet Radio not from computer

Hi,.

I have kind of an unusual question:

I want to hear Internet Radio channels in my living room. My internet
connected computer is in a different room. The current way I am doing
it, is to connect the speakers in the living room to the headsets
computer jack. It is not very handy because first I need a long, long
cable, I block my computer from being used for other audio purposes and
every computer bip can be heard in the living room. Also I want to use
the internet radio as a wake up call in the morning.

Can someone recommend me a way to do it, without involving my computer
in the middle? Some sort of radio that also connected to the internet
and knows also to play internet radio channels?

Your help is highly appreciated

Sophie

Robert Morein

I don't think so, but http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C4052/ may be
available soon.

Here are some other developments, but I don't think they panned out:
http://www.penguinradio.com/penguin.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...62453?v=glance
http://www.techonline.com/community/..._article/12263

"sophie_il" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,.

I have kind of an unusual question:

I want to hear Internet Radio channels in my living room. My internet
connected computer is in a different room. The current way I am doing
it, is to connect the speakers in the living room to the headsets
computer jack. It is not very handy because first I need a long, long
cable, I block my computer from being used for other audio purposes and
every computer bip can be heard in the living room. Also I want to use
the internet radio as a wake up call in the morning.

Can someone recommend me a way to do it, without involving my computer
in the middle? Some sort of radio that also connected to the internet
and knows also to play internet radio channels?

Your help is highly appreciated

Sophie

Gelf

Xbox with the usual tweaks

Gelf

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:47:23 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

I don't think so, but http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/337/C4052/ may be
available soon.

Here are some other developments, but I don't think they panned out:
http://www.penguinradio.com/penguin.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...62453?v=glance
http://www.techonline.com/community/..._article/12263

"sophie_il" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi,.

I have kind of an unusual question:

I want to hear Internet Radio channels in my living room. My internet
connected computer is in a different room. The current way I am doing
it, is to connect the speakers in the living room to the headsets
computer jack. It is not very handy because first I need a long, long
cable, I block my computer from being used for other audio purposes and
every computer bip can be heard in the living room. Also I want to use
the internet radio as a wake up call in the morning.

Can someone recommend me a way to do it, without involving my computer
in the middle? Some sort of radio that also connected to the internet
and knows also to play internet radio channels?

Your help is highly appreciated

Sophie

pland

"sophie_il" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,.

I have kind of an unusual question:

I want to hear Internet Radio channels in my living room. My internet
connected computer is in a different room. The current way I am doing
it, is to connect the speakers in the living room to the headsets
computer jack. It is not very handy because first I need a long, long
cable, I block my computer from being used for other audio purposes and
every computer bip can be heard in the living room. Also I want to use
the internet radio as a wake up call in the morning.

Can someone recommend me a way to do it, without involving my computer
in the middle? Some sort of radio that also connected to the internet
and knows also to play internet radio channels?

This isn't exactly what you think you were asking for, but it works well for
me:

We are in an area that gets very poor radio reception. We pull our Internet
radio stations and transmit them anywhere in the house (actually, in the
neighborhood) via FM.

I use a regular Windows XP based PC and a M-Audio Delta 410 audio card,
along with a PciMAX FM transmitter card.

The M-Audio card has 8 output channels (4 stereo pairs). I have it patched
as follows:
Channels 7 & 8 are patched to the input of the PciMAX transmitter, which is
set to an unused local station.
Channels 1 & 2 are patched to the input of my PC speaker system.

So, the Internet radio station's audio is set to go out (via the PC default
sound card properties) to the FM transmitter. Local sounds (like the
computer bips) are routed to the PC speakers and don't go out over FM.

The PciMAX has very good range with its standard little wire antenna, and is
adjustable for any station on the band. I tried several of the cheaper
signal transmitters, but they were (a) weak and (b) only worked on one or
two frequencies.

It's not a cheap solution but it works well for me. The PciMAX card runs
about $150.