Mitchell Gossman

Default No stereo separation in Suburbans 2003-2004, plus other GM vehicles! Check for yourself.

Please post here or send a private message to me at
about this:

My ears detect no stereo separation whatsoever on any radio station,
except very occasionally on one local station, in my 2003 Suburban
with factory 6-CD/AM/FM with Bose speakers system. I own two FM
modulators that when playing a stereo separation test CD track confirm
no stereo separation, i.e. L channel test comes out equally from both
L & R. One other FM modulator reproduces stereo in the car for some
reason. All other vehicles tested, including a 2002 Suburban, produce
proper separation with real FM stations and all 3 FM modulators. (For
those who don't know, an FM modulator takes any audio signal and
broadcasts on FM band on the frequency of your choice in order to hear
CD players, MP3 players and the like on your car stereo.)

So what we have here is a flaky FM section that does not play in
stereo. Note well: this problem came to light because my ears hear no
stereo separation and hence less FM enjoyment leading to the testing,
so this is not an isolated quirk of FM modulators. The 2003-2004
Suburban factory radios are brand-new units completely different from
the normal-working 2002 radio, therefore there is cause to expect a
difference in the 2002 to 2003 changeover.

This phenomenon occurs in other vehicles such as the Cadillac
Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Chevy Tahoe, and GMC Yukons.

Please check your own system, confirm what I say, and complain. And
please send me an email or post here on the topic. I am being
stonewalled by GM management and engineers who flatly declare that the
radio is "working to factory standards". My next step is to convince a
radio station to play a test track for me in the presence of a lawyer
and/or my local Chevy dealer, and go from there.

Mitchell Gossman