Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Advantage of tape over MD?

Oh, by the way, have you seen the screenshot?

Yup, and it's utterly meaningless. Now, *you* might prefer all music
to be reduced to 'normalised' pop-culture crap at maximum loudness,
but the *artists* likely thought that not all music is *supposed* to
peak at 0dB FS. For you to even *dream* that you have a fraction of
the mastering ability of MFSL, is truly breathtaking arrogance. I
guess your volume control goes up to 12..................

But surely you can see that just by looking at the screenshot that I
have done nothing to the music. It's the same both ways. It only
*looks* different when really it is not. If you think my version is
"too loud" then turn down the volume. It's that easy.

BTW, I have seven versions of DSotM on vinyl and CD, and the MFSL CD
is my preferred version. Of course, I haven't yet heard the
surround-sound SACD, and it's well-known that DS was *intended* for
multi-channel performance.

Yes, I've never heard the original quad but clearly it was not intended
for stereo. The SACD version will be a welcome and long-overdue correction.

You seem to be totally unaware that the dynamic range of the *music*
is only some 70-75dB at most, hence it's utterly pointless for some
clown like you to come along and insist that the last half-dozen dB of
the 93dB of a CDs natural range *has* to be employed.

You're failing to understand my purpose for the normalization.

For some bozo to attempt to 'normalise' all his music to some
notional -10dB average while avoiding peak clipping is an utterly
disgusting barbarity.

For my purpose in having done so, it actually makes perfect sense really.

I hate to think what you'd do with Beethoven's 'Moonlight' Sonata....

Oh, well, naturally, I'm pump that up even more.

Myke

--

-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!

Geoff Wood

"Lord Hasenpfeffer" wrote in message

But surely you can see that just by looking at the screenshot that I
have done nothing to the music. It's the same both ways. It only
*looks* different when really it is not. If you think my version is
"too loud" then turn down the volume. It's that easy.

So equally, is there that little meaningful in your life that you are
wasting your time treating 2100 CDs (or even one, for that matter) in this
manner instead of *turning UP the volume a little* ?!!!

You're failing to understand my purpose for the normalization.

No, you are.

geoff

Lord Hasenpfeffer

Geoff Wood wrote:

So equally, is there that little meaningful in your life that you are
wasting your time treating 2100 CDs (or even one, for that matter) in this
manner instead of *turning UP the volume a little* ?!!!

Geoff, please...

In terms of WAV only, I'm willing to accept that "normalizing to
-10dBFS" is for all practical intents and purposes nothing more than the
equivalent of "turning it up a little"...

In terms of MP3, however, I strongly suspect that not "normalizing" the
WAVs from older, quieter pop/rock CDs to -10dBFS will result in lost
frequencies during the encoding process that can otherwise be preserved
if only their amplitudes are increased at the WAV level.

When I play an older, quieter CD with my CD player and my home theater
surround sound setup, yes, merely turning up the volume is perfectly
fine with me. But my concerns, unlike yours apparently, don't *end* there.

Myke

--

-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-

Martin Tillman

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:01:32 -0500, Lord Hasenpfeffer wrote:

In terms of MP3, however, I strongly suspect that not "normalizing" the
WAVs from older, quieter pop/rock CDs to -10dBFS will result in lost
frequencies during the encoding process that can otherwise be preserved
if only their amplitudes are increased at the WAV level.

Oh my god, noooooooooooo.

Here we go again with another complete and utter misunderstanding of
*another* process.

Somebody save me from this idiocy, please.