Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] watchdogx29@gmail.com is offline

Default audio term that's parallel to "vivid" for video

I've been searching for a low-tech but accurate word for clean and clear audio. Comprehensible and intelligible seem to be the most common choices. But they are related to cognition more so than fidelity to me. After a few days and being disappointed with what I have come up with, I am soliciting suggestions. When describing video, "vivid" is a great word - it's simple and well-known. There should be a perfectly parallel word for audio, but it's eluding me. Thanks in advance for your verbal contributions!

- DK
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote: "I've been searching for a low-tech but accurate
word for clean and clear audio"

Uhm, that word, as pertaining to both
audio & video, is right in the middle of
your first sentence.

"Vivid" brings to my mind the factory
picture setting on most consumer
TVs: everything cranked. Sure way
to guarantee buying a replacement
TV every few years affer it
burns out. Also known as 'Dynamic'.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] dkinsey29@gmail.com is offline

I'm working with clients who have no familiarity with our jargon. I said "dynamics" once and they asked me what I was talking about. So yeah, we're trying to communicate regarding the quality of the audio WITHOUT using terms like "dynamics", "frequency range", "noise floor", etc. Figured somebody on here would have been in the same situation before. Maybe there is no great word for it specific to audio.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I'm working with clients who have no familiarity with our jargon. I said "d=
ynamics" once and they asked me what I was talking about. So yeah, we're tr=
ying to communicate regarding the quality of the audio WITHOUT using terms =
like "dynamics", "frequency range", "noise floor", etc. Figured somebody on=
here would have been in the same situation before. Maybe there is no great=
word for it specific to audio.

When I think of a "vivid" image, I think of something that looks like a
postcard with the contrast and saturation severely exaggerated.

This would seem to be the visual equivalent of the "hi-fi" sound, with the
bass and treble pumped up and all the instruments in your face.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 9:19:26 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been searching for a low-tech but accurate word for clean and clear audio.

There's Hi-definition.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 06/08/2018 16:44, wrote:
I'm working with clients who have no familiarity with our jargon. I said "dynamics" once and they asked me what I was talking about. So yeah, we're trying to communicate regarding the quality of the audio WITHOUT using terms like "dynamics", "frequency range", "noise floor", etc. Figured somebody on here would have been in the same situation before. Maybe there is no great word for it specific to audio.

In video, "vivid" to me says "colour gain set high for saturated colours
with contrast and edge enhancement (HF gain on analogue video) turned
way up". Frequent cuts from scene to scene help especially with bright
clashing colours.

The closest I'd come up with for audio would be to compress the dynamics
and put a boost in the "air" range until it was getting painful. A bit
like wotzisname and his 3kHz boost that was all that was needed to
"improve" a perfectly mastered track. That gives what the uninitiated
would call a "bright" track, which is as fatiguing to listen to as a
"vivid" video track is to watch.

In both cases, returning to a linear response greatly improves things.
"Vivid" or, in audio terms "bright" is not necessarily a Good Thing,
unless there is an artistic need for it.

In my opinion, others are no doubt available, possibly for a fee.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I've been searching for a low-tech but accurate word for clean and clear audio. Comprehensible and intelligible seem to be the most common choices. But they are related to cognition more so than fidelity to me. After a few days and being disappointed with what I have come up with, I am soliciting suggestions. When describing video, "vivid" is a great word - it's simple and well-known. There should be a perfectly parallel word for audio, but it's eluding me.

** " Transparent " might be your best single word for describing hi-fi sound.

..... Phil