Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Henig Jeff Henig is offline

Default A Chuck Hicks Post

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might
enjoy the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of
signal-to-noise ratio I've ever read.

Enjoy:

"With me, it all began with music.

I am a musician, born into a family of musicians. I love music. Music
moves me. Music shapes my life. My world is full of music. Sadly the
world is also full of noise.

To me, music affirms, calms, challenges, encourages, heals, lifts and
nurtures. To me, noise irritates, incites, annoys, diminishes and
destroys. I guess the challenging part is determining the difference
between the two.

What puzzles me is that much noise is called music and many cannot seem
to see the destructive properties which they are embracing. It seems
that it would be wise to be attentive to that which we listen... that
which subtly effects our moods, our health, our attitudes and our actions.

There is power in music. It should be respected. Today is a fine time to
give consideration to that which goes into us... and perhaps in due
course we might be so fortunate as to realize how it wonderfully effects
that which comes from within us."

--
---Jeff

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jeff Henig" skrev i en meddelelse

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might enjoy
the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of signal-to-noise ratio
I've ever read.

And you of course asked him and repost with permission?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:

"Jeff Henig" skrev i en meddelelse

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might enjoy
the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of signal-to-noise ratio
I've ever read.

And you of course asked him and repost with permission?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

He may have settings such that only those who are friends of friends may
share, or he may be happy to leave it wide open for anyone who finds it
and so wishes to share it, too.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter, to me what you are saying is that if I see a poster on a public
notice board I have to ask the creator's permission to alert you to that
poster.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02/01/2015 15:30, hank alrich wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter, to me what you are saying is that if I see a poster on a public
notice board I have to ask the creator's permission to alert you to that
poster.

I'd say there's a difference between posting a URL and quoting large
sections verbatim. Kind of the same difference as posting a link to a
Soundcloud file and copying it and attaching the audio to your post.

Then again, I assume that anyone who wants to will copy and paste
anything I post on a public forum without asking.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:

"hank alrich" skrev i en meddelelse

Chuck's privacy settings are such that I was able to find that post and
share it on Facebook. That is his own perogative, no asking required.

Even if it is public droit morale still requires you to ask because it is
another context.

Chuck's timeline is open to viewing by anyone, AFAICT.

Makes no difference.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter, to me what you are saying is that if I see a poster on a public
notice board I have to ask the creator's permission to alert you to that
poster.

No Hank, I am saying that if you repost it in another context you have to
ask, on FB you could share within the already given permission defined by
the original poster, but there is no pre-existing permission for this usenet
newsgroup. Linking to it would be a different issue because a link - except
perhaps an iframe - maintains the context.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote:
"Jeff Henig" skrev i en meddelelse

I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might enjoy
the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of signal-to-noise ratio
I've ever read.

And you of course asked him and repost with permission?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Nope.

shame

I'll rectify that shortly.

See my reply to Peter.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Jeff Henig writes:

[...]

Brilliantly stated. Touches on all the points I've tried to express at various
times, but he does it perfectly with such economy.

Thanks for sharing this sunlight and fresh air, Jeff.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig wrote:
I've a friend named Chuck Hicks, who is a music professor at my alma
mater, and an outstanding guitarist.

Chuck posted this on his FaceBook timeline, and I thought you might
enjoy the share. IMO, it's one of the best explanations of
signal-to-noise ratio I've ever read.

Enjoy:

"With me, it all began with music.

I am a musician, born into a family of musicians. I love music. Music
moves me. Music shapes my life. My world is full of music. Sadly the
world is also full of noise.

To me, music affirms, calms, challenges, encourages, heals, lifts and
nurtures. To me, noise irritates, incites, annoys, diminishes and
destroys. I guess the challenging part is determining the difference
between the two.

But Stravinsky...

What puzzles me is that much noise is called music and many cannot seem
to see the destructive properties which they are embracing. It seems
that it would be wise to be attentive to that which we listen... that
which subtly effects our moods, our health, our attitudes and our actions.

There is power in music. It should be respected. Today is a fine time to
give consideration to that which goes into us... and perhaps in due
course we might be so fortunate as to realize how it wonderfully effects
that which comes from within us."

There's only power in music because we agree to give it power. Others
will choose differently.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

There's only power in music because we agree to give it power. Others
will choose differently.

Sometimes music moves me powerfully regardless of what I might choose,
short of inserting perfect earplugs.