Mondoslug1

Default When ripping an MP3...looks way clipped?

So sometimes when I rip an mp3 from a commercial CD that I've bought.
I'll import into Nuendo or whatever & not do anything to it ... just look at it
& there's nowhere to go...the region is flat on some and of course when I check
the audio statistics peaks are at 0.00. What does this mean? That they've
compressed the sh*t out of it. Just asking, it doesn't sound clipped but
definitely looks it.

some chick singer stuff at:
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_mix.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_talk_mix.mp3

Scott Dorsey

Mondoslug1 wrote:
So sometimes when I rip an mp3 from a commercial CD that I've bought.
I'll import into Nuendo or whatever & not do anything to it ... just look at it
& there's nowhere to go...the region is flat on some and of course when I check
the audio statistics peaks are at 0.00. What does this mean? That they've
compressed the sh*t out of it. Just asking, it doesn't sound clipped but
definitely looks it.

You need better monitors.
That stuff is clipped. And clipping has become very common on commercial
pop releases. On a good monitor system it _will_ sound clipped.

I just got a folk music album from a friend that is slammed to the wall.
Acoustic groups jamming along with the meters pegged. Someone should be
shot. Big name mastering engineer who shall remain nameless.
Mondoslug1

Scott D. wrote:

Mondoslug1 wrote:
So sometimes when I rip an mp3 from a commercial CD that I've bought.
I'll import into Nuendo or whatever & not do anything to it ... just look at

it
& there's nowhere to go...the region is flat on some and of course when I

check
the audio statistics peaks are at 0.00. What does this mean? That they've
compressed the sh*t out of it. Just asking, it doesn't sound clipped but
definitely looks it.

You need better monitors.

Well this is very true.

That stuff is clipped. And clipping has become very common on commercial
pop releases. On a good monitor system it _will_ sound clipped.

I guess so.

I just got a folk music album from a friend that is slammed to the wall.
Acoustic groups jamming along with the meters pegged.

Guilty.

Someone should be
shot. Big name mastering engineer who shall remain nameless.

Some Chick singer mixes at:
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_trouble_mix.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_talk_mix.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_mix.mp3

james

In article ,
Mondoslug1 wrote:
I just got a folk music album from a friend that is slammed to the wall.
Acoustic groups jamming along with the meters pegged.

Guilty.

Are there still old-school folks out there who get their hands on
digital gear but haven't been told there's no +3dB ?
Ricky W. Hunt

"Mondoslug1" wrote in message
So sometimes when I rip an mp3 from a commercial CD that I've bought.
I'll import into Nuendo or whatever & not do anything to it ... just look

at it
& there's nowhere to go...the region is flat on some and of course when I

check
the audio statistics peaks are at 0.00. What does this mean? That they've
compressed the sh*t out of it. Just asking, it doesn't sound clipped but
definitely looks it.

I ripped the Sony "100 years of Pop" (or something like that) and that was
VERY interesting to watch the levels increase over the years. By the time of
the last song (that "Jiggy" song by Will Smith) the waveform (zoomed all the
way out) was literally a solid rectangle. I thought something was wrong with
the graphic at first.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"james" wrote in message news:Gar8c.1587$Q45.1138@fed1read02...
In article ,
Mondoslug1 wrote:
I just got a folk music album from a friend that is slammed to the wall.
Acoustic groups jamming along with the meters pegged.

Guilty.

Are there still old-school folks out there who get their hands on
digital gear but haven't been told there's no +3dB ?

Not a chance. ;-)

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Sander

Mondoslug1 wrote:
commercial CD...
...look at it & there's nowhere to go...
they've compressed the sh*t out of it...
sound clipped...
definitely looks it.

http://prorec.com/prorec/articles.ns...256C2E005DAF1C

Sander

Tony

We're all generally used to equating "clipping" to power amp clipping, which
sounds a whole lot worse than the precise clipping on a modern CD (due to
overall feedback, "windup", etc). Plus, while some CDs are clipped badly, most
use the much less audible "predictive limiting". Which all amounts to the
clipping being a lot less audible than you'd expect. But it's usually still
detectable if you listen closely with good monitors.

Since you're ripping to MP3 anyway, you may be interested that there's usually
an option to normalize the audio (to, say, 70% or so). If you do that, you may
see the envelope (in Nuendo) pull right back to the 70% you set, or it might
(often does for me) still peak up to near 100%. That's because MP3 isn't
lossless, and can discard those elements that the encoder considers to be the
least audible, which might include clipping events - yes, MP3 can (to a very
limited extent) UNCLIP some audio.

On 25 Mar 2004 00:16:22 GMT, aht (Mondoslug1) wrote:

So sometimes when I rip an mp3 from a commercial CD that I've bought.
I'll import into Nuendo or whatever & not do anything to it ... just look at it
& there's nowhere to go...the region is flat on some and of course when I check
the audio statistics peaks are at 0.00. What does this mean? That they've
compressed the sh*t out of it. Just asking, it doesn't sound clipped but
definitely looks it.

some chick singer stuff at:
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_mix.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~amostagain/sw_talk_mix.mp3

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)
Mondoslug1

Sander wrote:

Mondoslug1 wrote:
commercial CD...
...look at it & there's nowhere to go...
they've compressed the sh*t out of it...
sound clipped...
definitely looks it.

http://prorec.com/prorec/articles.ns...71AB86256C2E00

5DAF1C

Sander

Thanks, that was good reading. No, I couldn't finish the paragraph.

Me at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/andymostmusic.htm

Mondoslug1

Tony Roe wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I just was comparing a few & some seemed beyond slammed though.