Posted to rec.audio.tech
mr_alex

Default PCM Wav to I2S?

Hi there,

Im working with the AD1859 variable sample rate DAC. It needs the audio
being fed in to be serial data in either I2S or Left Justified format.

For my initial experiments I want to send audio data from a PC's serial
port to this serial input port on the DAC and generate the clock
separately.

Can I use a PCM wav file for the audio data? Does the data need to be
altered in anyway to fit either the I2S format or Left-Justified
format?

I've been struggling to find detailed information on these formats as
google only comes up with the IC's that support them...

Any references on the net that anyone knows of? Any help greatly
appreciated! Thanks, Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"mr_alex" wrote in message
oups.com...

Im working with the AD1859 variable sample rate DAC. It needs the audio
being fed in to be serial data in either I2S or Left Justified format.

For my initial experiments I want to send audio data from a PC's serial
port to this serial input port on the DAC and generate the clock
separately.

PC serial ports are way slow for transmitting audio.

Can I use a PCM wav file for the audio data? Does the data need to be
altered in anyway to fit either the I2S format or Left-Justified
format?

Good questions for the comp.dsp group.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"mr_alex" in...
Im working with the AD1859 variable sample rate DAC. It needs the
audio
being fed in to be serial data in either I2S or Left Justified format.

For my initial experiments I want to send audio data from a PC's
serial
port to this serial input port on the DAC and generate the clock
separately.

Can I use a PCM wav file for the audio data? Does the data need to be
altered in anyway to fit either the I2S format or Left-Justified
format?

I've been struggling to find detailed information on these formats as
google only comes up with the IC's that support them...

Any references on the net that anyone knows of? Any help greatly
appreciated! Thanks, Alex

There are ways of generating I2S via the parallel
(printer) port. This isn't really an audio question,
so you are more likely to find an answer somewhere
where I2S is discussed.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

Hi there,

Im working with the AD1859 variable sample rate DAC. It needs the audio
being fed in to be serial data in either I2S or Left Justified format.

For my initial experiments I want to send audio data from a PC's serial
port to this serial input port on the DAC and generate the clock
separately.

Can I use a PCM wav file for the audio data? Does the data need to be
altered in anyway to fit either the I2S format or Left-Justified
format?

I've been struggling to find detailed information on these formats as
google only comes up with the IC's that support them...

A PC's UART-based serial ports aren't designed to send data in those
formats, or at the necessary speed. I don't think that there's going
to be any reliable way to get the data you want from a UART, or from a
PC parallel port.

Your best bet is probably to start with a PC sound card that has an
S/PDIF digital output capability. Connect the S/PDIF output (via
either coaxial cable, or a TOSLINK optical cable) to an S/PDIF
receiver IC's input. Run the output of the S/PDIF receiver IC into
the AD1859.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
mr_alex

Thanks for all the info chaps.

Dave - your idea sounds very interesting - can you recommend any S/PDIF
receivers? I need to buffer a certain amount of audio data and this
needs to be done in I2S format ready for it to be clocked into the
AD1859

Any recommendations appreciated! Cheers, Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article .com,
mr_alex wrote:

Dave - your idea sounds very interesting - can you recommend any S/PDIF
receivers? I need to buffer a certain amount of audio data and this
needs to be done in I2S format ready for it to be clocked into the
AD1859

Check out the CS8416 from Cirrus Logic (from their former Crystal
Semiconductor division). It's a very flexible part. Its full
functionality requires using a microcontroller to configure it via an
SPI or I2C port. For simpler applications, you can put it into a
"hardware configure" mode by strapping a few pins high or low through
resistors.

From what I can see in the data sheet, it looks as if you can put the
chip's serial-output port into I2S 24-bit format, or left- or
right-justified 24-bit formats, through appropriate pullups/pulldowns.

Cirrus/Crystal has always been good about making evaluation boards for
their digital-audio chips available. There's an eval board for the
CS8416 (receiver) and CS8406 (transmitter), which might be just what
you need for testing and development. It allows full control of the
receiver/transmitter settings via a PC parallel port, also allows for
"hardware mode" operation without a PC (via jumper configuration), and
gives access to S/PDIF input and output ports as well as the
three-wire serial-digital bus between the receiver and transmitter.

Go to http://www.cirrus.com, click on "Interface Products", then on
the CS8416 link. From their you can download data sheets on the
receiver IC itself, and on the CDB8416 development/eval board.

Some years ago, I wanted to put together a high-quality ADC to use
when digitizing out-of-print LPs for transfer to CD-R format. The
best method I could find, was to buy an eval board for one of the
Crystal Semi ADC chips, and modify it as necessary to incorporate it
in my system (new crystal for 44,100 sample rate, input circuit gain
change, external LED level display, power supply). A fun project, and
a lot less hassle than trying to create my own PC board.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO