Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

Default San Diego record haul

From the brief trip to Stereo Unlimited, all new vinyl:

1. Elgar: Enigma Variations and Brahmms: Haydn Variations
Monteux/LSO Classic Records reissue of RCA LSC-2418

Great playing and conducting, but not one of Classic's best releases. I
don't have the RCA for comparison. OK sonics, just not "great". But
the music is obviously the most important consideration, and it is
wonderfully done.

2. Chicago Pro Musica, music of Walton, others
Reference Recordings RR-16

I had this record when it was new and sold it in the purge of '97. It's
a great, great record musically and sonically. 45 rpm. Among the very
best RRs, I believe. I have the CD, also excellent. GREAT performance
of Walton: Facade.

3-5. Three records by Opus 3:
Testrecord 4
Showcase
30th Anniversary Celebration

I LOVE the records that this Swedish company puts out. I have the older
classic ones, such as "Testrecords": Depth of Image, Timbre, etc.
These newer ones are just as great. Taken as a body of work, I think
that Opus 3 are the best sounding records that I have. The current crop
is quite eclectic musically, being samples (whole works) of their
releases. So the music includes folk, world, small classical ensembles,
old jazz. Just amazing sound, IMO. Perfect surfaces. The best
recorded drum kit sound I've yet heard, bar none. WELL worth picking up
to see how good your gear can sound, and the music is quite worthwhile
as well.

As an aside, I've updated my collection database, and it is available
for download at
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...9fa335ca0305e8
fc6d956e82

It's only my main collections (classical and Broadway), as the other
stuff (folk, rock, solo guitar) aren't large enough to need a list. I
make it available only as a point of interest for those might be
interested in how one might catalogue their collection, etc. For the
truly musically nerdy, my conducting score catalogue is also available at

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...9fa335cab10a90
d638cf732f