Posted to rec.audio.tech
dawg1998

Default Purchasing a 7.1 Receiver for a 6.1 Surround Set-up?

I am on the market for a new audio receiver (not a home theater) and I
have a question regarding 6.1 and 7.1 surround formats.

My small condo has 6.1 speaker connections built into the Living Room
walls. I do not want to add another center-back speaker due to cost and
the lack of space in the room. Will a 7.1 receiver "downgrade" to a 6.1
format or will some of the sound be lost on a firm 7.1 broadcastdue to
my having only one center-back speaker?

If some receivers do downgrade by design, is there a particular term
I'm looking for to find this feature?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson

On 11 Feb 2006 20:10:37 -0800, "dawg1998" wrote:

I am on the market for a new audio receiver (not a home theater) and I
have a question regarding 6.1 and 7.1 surround formats.

My small condo has 6.1 speaker connections built into the Living Room
walls. I do not want to add another center-back speaker due to cost and
the lack of space in the room. Will a 7.1 receiver "downgrade" to a 6.1
format or will some of the sound be lost on a firm 7.1 broadcastdue to
my having only one center-back speaker?

If some receivers do downgrade by design, is there a particular term
I'm looking for to find this feature?

They all do it. Just part of the installation/setup.

Kal