Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron

Default Foam or replacement speaker?

I have two ancient Baby Advents in my office on which the woofer foam
is deteriorating. I am not a terribly technical person, nor are these
speakers used for critical listening, and right now they really don't
sound bad (now and then a tiny bit of fuzziness from one). I would
therefore appreciate some comments on my options:

(1) Try to find woofers as close in quality to the Advents as possible
(ideas welcome)

(2) Install inexpensive woofers from Radio Shack or some other dealer
(recommendations welcome)

(3) Try to refoam or install surrounds

(4) Do nothing or simply buy other speakers

Thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Robert Gault

Ron wrote:

I have two ancient Baby Advents in my office on which the woofer foam
is deteriorating. I am not a terribly technical person, nor are these
speakers used for critical listening, and right now they really don't
sound bad (now and then a tiny bit of fuzziness from one). I would
therefore appreciate some comments on my options:

(1) Try to find woofers as close in quality to the Advents as possible
(ideas welcome)

(2) Install inexpensive woofers from Radio Shack or some other dealer
(recommendations welcome)

(3) Try to refoam or install surrounds

(4) Do nothing or simply buy other speakers

Thank you.

Sooner or later -and probably sooner - enough surround will deteriorate
that the cone will wobble when moving. At that time, the voice coil will
rub causing massive audio distortion and damage to the coil. At the very
least, your speakers no longer are acting as acoustic suspension units
which drastically changes their sound.

You really should replace the surrounds or replace the speakers. I was
able to replace the foam surrounds myself on two Large Advents and am
very happy with the results. You can find suppliers of surround kits
through Google. Plumbers putty can be used to reseal the frames to the
cabinets.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

You really should replace the surrounds or replace the speakers. I was
able to replace the foam surrounds myself on two Large Advents and am
very happy with the results. You can find suppliers of surround kits
through Google. Plumbers putty can be used to reseal the frames to the
cabinets.

As I recall, those Advents had unusual surrounds that allowed them to make a
longer excursion than competing speakers from Marantz, McIntosh, etc.
Replacing the foams could be problematic if an exact replacement for that
particular odd-shaped foam surround cannot be located.

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote:
You really should replace the surrounds or replace the speakers. I was
able to replace the foam surrounds myself on two Large Advents and am
very happy with the results. You can find suppliers of surround kits
through Google. Plumbers putty can be used to reseal the frames to the
cabinets.

As I recall, those Advents had unusual surrounds that allowed them to make a
longer excursion than competing speakers from Marantz, McIntosh, etc.
Replacing the foams could be problematic if an exact replacement for that
particular odd-shaped foam surround cannot be located.

Readily available....

jak

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron

Thanks all. I've ordered surrounds advertised to fit the speakers. Is
there anything else I need? Special adhesive, etc.?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Ron wrote:

Thanks all. I've ordered surrounds advertised to fit the speakers. Is
there anything else I need? Special adhesive, etc.?

If you ordered the surrounds from Parts Express, all that good stuff
comes with them, along with complete instructions, to be followed closely.

Francois.