news.verizon.net

Default Why r u running from Reel?

I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Could the main reason be as follows:

They are not making any money anymore, and those tapes & machines-heads are
too expensive to buy and maintain respectively???

Yet I have seen a number of studios that only have dummy-computers on thier
desk; just to say that they have computers, but they are NOT using them.
Perhaps the only thing install on them is windows 95 & Mac 9.0. lol

Analogeezer

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message ...
I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Could the main reason be as follows:

They are not making any money anymore, and those tapes & machines-heads are
too expensive to buy and maintain respectively???

Yet I have seen a number of studios that only have dummy-computers on thier
desk; just to say that they have computers, but they are NOT using them.
Perhaps the only thing install on them is windows 95 & Mac 9.0. lol

One big reason is the fact that tape is expensive, 1" costs about $65
a reel, two inch $150ish. At 30 IPS that means $50 per song just for
two inch tape costs, no actual studio time. On a large project for
many hours, this might not be significant to the artist (e.g. Steely
Dan reputedly burned through 400 reels for AJA) but for the band
trying to do their $500 demo it is.

I think people used to charge for hard disc space, but I doubt they do
anymore, it's gotten so cheap it would be like charging for a stick of
gum.

Editing is another thing, these days a lot of bands want to play
****ty and then fix it in the computer....there's even a song about
it, "Rockin the Suburbs" by Ben Folds.

"I cash the checks and face the facts, that producers with computers
fix all my ****ty tracks".

There are a lot of other really good reasons to record with computers,
the main reasons for still using analog a

1. You've got the gear and know it well, might as well use it

2. You are after that sound, and are pretty specific about it (many
analog holdouts are digging Radar these days I hear)

3. It's a workflow thing, working with analog tape for some people
(e.g. that would be me) is just way easier, no trying to remember what
that key command for doing something is, or scrolling through a bunch
of tracks to track enable them.

I think people that were raised with computers don't have this problem
as much, whereas people that weren't have to translate from "brain
command" to finger command to computer command. Punching in a tape
deck is a lot more like playing an instrument, you don't even have to
think about it.

One last thing is visual vs. audiotory.....when you use a computer you
tend to LOOK at the screen and what's going on too much, and use your
ears less. IMHO working with analog makes you listen more, no
distractions from looking at waveforms.

Keep in mind that a large number of Rock, Country and other formats
still mix to analog...especially at the highly professional level.

Analogeezer
Scott Dorsey

news.verizon.net wrote:
I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Could the main reason be as follows:

They are not making any money anymore, and those tapes & machines-heads are
too expensive to buy and maintain respectively???

Of course. Clients don't want to pay the tape costs, mainly. On top of
this, clients don't want to pay for the time for hand-editing and actually
performing things right, when with the digital systems they can just it
mostly right and fix it on the workstation.

Yet I have seen a number of studios that only have dummy-computers on thier
desk; just to say that they have computers, but they are NOT using them.
Perhaps the only thing install on them is windows 95 & Mac 9.0. lol

They probably have a different client base. I have a computer here too,
which I use for keeping track sheets and logs and reading Usenet while
waiting for these safety dubs to finish. But I'm also in a very small
market since I'm mostly doing live to 2-track anyway.

Robert Philbeck

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message ...
I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Maybe the majority of bands and musicians truly suck, so there is a
substantial amount of editing that needs to be done to make their
performances passable. Obviously, editing is far easier on a
computer.
Kenny

Oh Yeah!

I agree completely.
Sadly, I have a hot rod MS16 1 inch that I love the sound of.
Unfortunately is has sat for the last year - unused.
Two reasons. People don't like to pay for the tape.
and I have to edit the begeebers out of most peoples tracks...
in the digital domain of course.

Once I take something to digital, I make it a rule to stay there.
no more trips to the analog world. It's a one way street for me.

Kenny

"Robert Philbeck" wrote in message
om...
"news.verizon.net" wrote in message

I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are

giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Maybe the majority of bands and musicians truly suck, so there is a
substantial amount of editing that needs to be done to make their
performances passable. Obviously, editing is far easier on a
computer.

Rick Powell

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message ...
I was wondering what is the main reason why quite a few studios are giving
up on their 1" or 2" reel machine and going over to digital?

Could the main reason be as follows:

They are not making any money anymore, and those tapes & machines-heads are
too expensive to buy and maintain respectively???

Yet I have seen a number of studios that only have dummy-computers on thier
desk; just to say that they have computers, but they are NOT using them.
Perhaps the only thing install on them is windows 95 & Mac 9.0. lol

One good side benefit of the abandonment of analog gear is that one
can pick up a really nice analog recording deck for not a lot of $
these days.

Of course, the maintenance & tape costs might still be a concern, as
well as the future of analog tape manufacture in general. The
maintenance factor in analog is a given that needs to be dealt with
continually (cleaning heads, de-magging, alignment, etc.). Digital
gear needs almost no "routine" maintenance as with analog, but when it
goes wrong, it is often not as "user-friendly" as analog to fix, and
back to the factory or service center it goes.

RP