Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

Default Speaker Question: Sub can help main speakers?

In article , xxx wrote:
Setting up a 5.1 home theatre system. The A/V receiver, using the
"large' settings can send everything (ignoring LFE) to l&r and lows,
specified by the crossover parameter, to the sub. Or "small" send
everything above the crossover to l&r and below crossover to sub.

I guess there are many theories associated with this issue. I'm
leaning to the "main speakers, relieved of deep bass duties, will
offer improved dynamics and reduced intermodulation and harmonic
distortion".

There will also be less chance the wooffers will burn out or bottom.
They can be small.

greg