Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Default BBE - opinions?

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE%5FHDS/

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:
http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE%5FHDS/

It's a box, just like the Aphex, that creates high order even harmonic
distortion. This can be very handy for salvaging material that is rolled
off on the top end. For the most part, though, it's really a salvage tool
for when you can't get a decent signal source in the first place.

Yes, I know the brochure for the box touts how what it does is add and
subtract group delay. And it does do that, but that's not where the sound
comes from.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

It's a bandaid that had some occasional usefulness for bringing back a
bit of presence from poorly recorded analog tracks, in a way that was
different from merely boosting high end EQ. In this era of digital
recording & mics with hugely boosted top end, I fail to see the need
for this kind of device. Generally, a good mic into a good preamp will
naturally achieve all the presence these sort of exciters were meant to
recreate via signal manipulation.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Scott Fraser wrote:

It's a bandaid that had some occasional usefulness for bringing back a
bit of presence from poorly recorded analog tracks, in a way that was
different from merely boosting high end EQ. In this era of digital
recording & mics with hugely boosted top end, I fail to see the need
for this kind of device. Generally, a good mic into a good preamp will
naturally achieve all the presence these sort of exciters were meant to
recreate via signal manipulation.

Scott Fraser

I was really thinking of its use in 'enhancing' previously recorded material on CD.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

I was really thinking of its use in 'enhancing'
previously recorded material on CD.

Well, if you can get it cheap...

My experience with such devices is that they are effective only when playing
back on mediocre equipment. On good equipment, their effects are audible as
effects -- not as any sort of "enhancement".

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I was really thinking of its use in 'enhancing'
previously recorded material on CD.

Well, if you can get it cheap...

My experience with such devices is that they are effective only when playing
back on mediocre equipment. On good equipment, their effects are audible as
effects -- not as any sort of "enhancement".

I suppose it really depends on whether the customer thinks their CDs sound
better when BBE is used.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:
http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE%5FHDS/

It's a box, just like the Aphex, that creates high order even harmonic
distortion. This can be very handy for salvaging material that is rolled
off on the top end. For the most part, though, it's really a salvage tool
for when you can't get a decent signal source in the first place.

Yes, I've found the BBE unit useful for salvaging old cassette tapes.

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"I suppose it really depends on whether the customer thinks their CDs
sound
better when BBE is used."

For around $100 you can find out. Ten years ago was the last time I
checked it against released material. For CD's from the 90's it was no
help. It did help some older albums that had been dumped to CD with
little care. It substantially helped cassette tapes. This was on my
late 70's $400 stereo. If the CD you want to treat is dull, maybe you
will get a little punch.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

I was really thinking of its use in 'enhancing' previously recorded
material on CD.

OK. It's still a bandaid. In the case of commercially available CDs
they are as 'enhanced' as the presumably professional mastering
engineers saw fit to make them, which is to say there is probably
plenty of high frequency content as is, unless these are reissues of
historic recordings, in which case a so called enhancer won't help &
will certainly hurt overall.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:

Scott Fraser wrote:

It's a bandaid that had some occasional usefulness for bringing back a
bit of presence from poorly recorded analog tracks, in a way that was
different from merely boosting high end EQ. In this era of digital
recording & mics with hugely boosted top end, I fail to see the need
for this kind of device. Generally, a good mic into a good preamp will
naturally achieve all the presence these sort of exciters were meant to
recreate via signal manipulation.

I was really thinking of its use in 'enhancing' previously recorded
material on CD.

Not likely. But if you'd like to buy a BBE 862, I have one I no longer
use. My email works.

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Well, if you can get it cheap...

I guarantee that part. g

--
ha

Opinions Needed on New DIY Radio Site DIYer Tech 2 January 11th 05 02:15 AM
Opinions on Sub fr335tyl3r Car Audio 2 January 3rd 04 02:25 AM
Opinions on a digital audio workstation? Jimmy Lee Pro Audio 3 November 28th 03 06:04 PM
sub $2000 rackmount mixer for project studio -- mic pre opinions Straatocastoer Pro Audio 7 November 26th 03 03:31 PM
Opinions on M&K 5.1 monitors Daryn Barry Pro Audio 0 August 8th 03 06:39 AM