Jack3000

Default How to connect RCA Audio Plug to speaker wires?

This is a very simple electrical question, but the answer for which I
cannot locate because I know nothing about such matters.

I'd like to attach a speaker wire to a rca plug, but I am unsure
what's hot/positve and what's ground/negative.

1) The stereo wire I bought (at Lowe's) is a pair of wires attached to
each other: one wire postive, the other negative. Which is which? One
wire has writing on it which I've been told distingues one wire from
the other. Is that wire positive?

2) The rca plug has two places for the negative and postive wires to
be attached. One is in the center of the plug where it can be pinched
and soldered to the plug. And the other is a hole where the wire can
be threaded thru. Which is positive and which is negative: the center
pinch or the hole?

Much thanks!

John
Richard Crowley

"Jack3000" wrote in message
m...
This is a very simple electrical question, but the answer for which I
cannot locate because I know nothing about such matters.

I'd like to attach a speaker wire to a rca plug, but I am unsure
what's hot/positve and what's ground/negative.

1) The stereo wire I bought (at Lowe's) is a pair of wires attached to
each other: one wire postive, the other negative. Which is which? One
wire has writing on it which I've been told distingues one wire from
the other. Is that wire positive?

2) The rca plug has two places for the negative and postive wires to
be attached. One is in the center of the plug where it can be pinched
and soldered to the plug. And the other is a hole where the wire can
be threaded thru. Which is positive and which is negative: the center
pinch or the hole?

Generally, the center pin is positive, and the outer shell
of an RCA connector is negative.

HOWEVER! You have not provided enough information
to make any reliable suggestions regarding your question.

What equipment are you connecting to that uses an RCA
jack for speaker connections? Are you SURE that it is
a speaker-level output and not line-level?

You can use a 1.5v battery on the speaker wires to
establish which is positive and negative. OTOH, if
both sides are wired the same, it is unlikely to make
any discernable difference is the absolute polarity is
wrong.

Jack3000

What equipment are you connecting to that uses an RCA
jack for speaker connections? Are you SURE that it is
a speaker-level output and not line-level?

I know nothing about audio equipment so excuse my ignorance. I am
connecting the RCA plug into a subwoofer. The other end of the wire
connects to a wall speaker (part of the surround sound system). On the
speaker there are 2 connection levers for the wi black and red. I
assume black is negative and red is postive/hot.

In general which wire is usually positive? The wire that has the
writing on it? Honestly, the 1.5V battery idea to check for which one
is postive goes over my head. I wouldn't know what to do with the
battery to check for the polarity.

Much thanks for the help!

Arny Krueger

Jack3000 wrote:

In general which wire is usually positive? The wire that has the
writing on it?

A dirty little secret about wire is the fact that it is rarely if ever
marked with pluses and minuses.

Some cables are even composed of two absolutely identical wires. Nasty, eh?

Most wire has some distinguishing marks, such as the writing that you've
noticed. Or, there is a color difference. Or ,there is some texture or
ribbing molded into the insulation. Or, one conductor is plated and looks
silvery, while the other is unplated and is copper-colored.

In some cases the difference between the wires in a cable is gross, such as
shielded cable where one "wire" is the stranded shielding braided over the
other wire, which is more conventional.

The second dirty little secret is that in most cases it doesn't matter which
wire you consider to be plus and which wire you consider to be minus, as
long as you are consistent with your choices at both ends of the same piece
of wire.

Often with wire, nobody cares about your choices but you, but you should
care very much about your choices.

If your memory tends to fail you, cut up some pieces of say masking tape or
bandage tape, use an indelible pent to write positive and negative on them,
and apply them to both ends of the wire when you can easily see both ends
of the wire at the same time. Again, be consistent!

If you do this often, you can even get little books of adhesive markers at a
home improvement or electrical supply store. They tend to fall off as they
age, so real neatnicks hold them in place with clear shrinkable plastic
tubing.

One common exception to the "don't care" rule is the black, green, and
white wiring that the AC wiring in your house is probably made up with, if
you live in the US. Black is "hot" (call it plus), white is "cold" (call it
minus), and green is safety ground. For reasons of safety, everybody who
wires houses follows this standard for assigning function to the various
colors of AC wiring.

So, if one wire in a cable has printing on it, and the other doesn't have
printing on it, then make up your own mind about which is positive and which
is negative, but be consistent.

If you need more help, I say (flipping coin) make the wire with writing on
it be unhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "positive".

Richard Crowley

What equipment are you connecting to that uses an RCA
jack for speaker connections? Are you SURE that it is
a speaker-level output and not line-level?

"Jack3000" wrote ...
I know nothing about audio equipment so excuse my
ignorance. I am connecting the RCA plug into a
subwoofer.

If this subwoofer has an integrated amplifier then it is
most likely a LINE-level input. Does the subwoofer
have a power/mains cord? If so, it has its own amp
internally and the RCA connector should be assumed
to be LINE-level (and *NOT* SPEAKER-level)
input. DO NOT CONNECT SPEAKER WIRES TO
ANY LINE-LEVEL INPUT. There are ways of doing
this, but direct connection carries a very high risk of
damaging your equipment.

The other end of the wire connects to a wall speaker
(part of the surround sound system).

You have completely lost me at this point. How are
you attaching a subwoofer to an existing speaker?
Is this speaker also a subwoofer? If it is not, then
it likely does NOT have the proper signal for the
subwoofer. How did you come to the conclusion
that you could connect your system like this?

On the speaker there are 2 connection levers for the
wi black and red. I assume black is negative and
red is postive/hot.

In general which wire is usually positive? The wire
that has the writing on it?

Yes, generally, red indicates "positive" and black
indicates "negative". (Note that electricians who wire
buildings have a different concept, so beware!)

However, it would appear that polarity is the least
of your problems at this point. Here are my concerns:

1) I question how you have arrived at your plan of
how you are connecting your system. Are you trying
to mix-n-match various pieces? Did someone who
knows your equipment recommend this setup?

2) Your proposed source (tapping off the input of
another speaker) seems questionable on two counts:

a) It seems doubtful that it is the *correct* signal. It
sounds like it is a surround speaker and likely has
been stripped of any subwoofer low frequencies
in the amplifier.

b) It is not conventional to connect a speaker to the
input of another speaker (called "daisy-chaining")
for several reasons which I won't expand on here.
You almost certainly need a direct connection between
the source/amplifier and your subwoofer. Does the
source have an output identified as dedicated to the
subwoofer?

3) You don't know whether the input of your subwoofer
is a line-level or a speaker-level input. If you feed
speaker level into a line-level input, there is a very
significant possibility of damaging the subwoofer.

Please identify specifically what the source is
(receiver, etc.) and describe all the outputs.

Also identify what the subwoofer is, whether it has
an integrated amplifer, and describe ALL the inputs.
There is almost certainly a correct match between
your source and your subwoofer, but I think you
haven't found the right combination yet.

Honestly, the 1.5V battery idea to check for which
one is postive goes over my head. I wouldn't know
what to do with the battery to check for the polarity.

You didnt mention before (and I incorrectly assumed)
that the RCA connector was on the *source*. But if it
is on the *speaker* that would imply that it is a line-
level input and you SHOULD NOT perform this
experiment on it!

Richard Crowley

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Jack3000 wrote:

In general which wire is usually positive? The wire that has the
writing on it?

A dirty little secret about wire is the fact that it is rarely if ever
marked with pluses and minuses.

Everything that Mr. Krueger wrote is correct. However
until "Jack3000" determines the nature of his input, and
source, he should NOT attempt to make this connection
in either polarity.

Jack3000

The 6.1 surround sound system I have is one from Creative Labs that
connects to the computer. The subwoofer for this system has jacks in
the back of it where all the the speakers connect from. There's no
mismatch of equipment here, I simply followed the directions that came
with the speakers. I only came across a problem when I needed to use
different wire because the wire that came with the system wasn't long
enough. Hopefully, with the advice that you all provided, I can
successfully complete the installation of my rear speakers.

thanks!

Richard Crowley

"Jack3000" wrote in message ...
The 6.1 surround sound system I have is one from Creative Labs that
connects to the computer. The subwoofer for this system has jacks in
the back of it where all the the speakers connect from. There's no
mismatch of equipment here, I simply followed the directions that came
with the speakers. I only came across a problem when I needed to use
different wire because the wire that came with the system wasn't long
enough. Hopefully, with the advice that you all provided, I can
successfully complete the installation of my rear speakers.

Are you CERTAIN that the RCA jack input on your subwoofer
is SPEAKER level and not LINE level? It is highly unusual
for a subwoofer to have an RCA jack for speaker level input
(unless is it is a little plastic "toy" computer speaker or something)

Arny Krueger

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jack3000" wrote in message ...
The 6.1 surround sound system I have is one from Creative Labs that
connects to the computer. The subwoofer for this system has jacks in
the back of it where all the the speakers connect from. There's no
mismatch of equipment here, I simply followed the directions that
came with the speakers. I only came across a problem when I needed
to use different wire because the wire that came with the system
wasn't long enough. Hopefully, with the advice that you all
provided, I can successfully complete the installation of my rear
speakers.

Are you CERTAIN that the RCA jack input on your subwoofer
is SPEAKER level and not LINE level? It is highly unusual
for a subwoofer to have an RCA jack for speaker level input
(unless is it is a little plastic "toy" computer speaker or something)

Actually, RCA speaker jacks are not unusual with low-cost systems. My church
has a low-powered integrated amp from Radio Shack that is built this way.

Richard Crowley

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jack3000" wrote in message ...
[...]

It looks like "Jack3000" is indeed talking about a plastic
"computer speaker" surround kit. I made the mistake of
assuming he was talking about a "real" (12" or larger)
home theatre type subwoofer.