ELC

Default Digital Tape Crackle Mystery

I'm compiling some music from a DAT to a CD, using digital IO.
Sounded fine going in. When I finished the CD and checked, though, on
about half of the tracks I can hear what sounds like cracks and pops
from an old record. It's not the typical pop you hear when you overdo
the signal, either. It's just a straight transfer. The machines I'm
using are a Tascam DA-20 and a Philips CD-R. I haven't had trouble
with either machine before this. I'm recording on Memorex music CD-R
discs.
Any ideas what is causing this, or how to fix it?
Thanks.
Bert Kraaijpoel

ELC wrote:
I'm compiling some music from a DAT to a CD, using digital IO.
Sounded fine going in. When I finished the CD and checked, though, on
about half of the tracks I can hear what sounds like cracks and pops
from an old record. It's not the typical pop you hear when you overdo
the signal, either. It's just a straight transfer. The machines I'm
using are a Tascam DA-20 and a Philips CD-R. I haven't had trouble
with either machine before this. I'm recording on Memorex music CD-R
discs.
Any ideas what is causing this, or how to fix it?
Thanks.

It looks like a sync problem. Maybe the cable or connectors need
replacement??
Is the DA-20 set to internal sync? The CD-R should get its sync from the
interface signal.

Bert Kraaijpoel

Richard Kuschel

In article
writes:

I'm compiling some music from a DAT to a CD, using digital IO.
Sounded fine going in. When I finished the CD and checked, though, on
about half of the tracks I can hear what sounds like cracks and pops
from an old record.

Probably a temporary loss of sync. It could be a funky cable between
the DAT and the CD recorder, or it could be a small dropout on the DAT
tape.

Are you monitoring the audio output of the CD recorder full time and
not hearing any clicks there? If it was a transfer problem, you'd hear
it. If you're ABSOLUTELY SURE there are no clicks audible in the
transfer, then it's a problem with the recorder.

Generally when doing "archive resuscitation" like this, the best
process is to record directly to a computer, fix the pops, and then
burn a CD. Sometimes you can locate them by eye and that saves some
time, but it's still a multi-pass non-automated process.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

You shouldn't have pops & clicks that need to be fixed if you don't have them
on playback.

If all else fails, just transfer using analog.

Tascam machines have some pretty funky interfacing when dealing with the rest
of the world.
Richard H. Kuschel
M. Im

Another possibility, is that your laser in the CD recorder is shot and
is not getting the data on the CD or there is too much loss. Then on
playback, the error correction cannot handle the amount of lost data
and you may hear the error correction circuitry losing the battle. The
fix: try a different CD recorder.

Mike

(ELC) wrote in message . com...
I'm compiling some music from a DAT to a CD, using digital IO.
Sounded fine going in. When I finished the CD and checked, though, on
about half of the tracks I can hear what sounds like cracks and pops
from an old record. It's not the typical pop you hear when you overdo
the signal, either. It's just a straight transfer. The machines I'm
using are a Tascam DA-20 and a Philips CD-R. I haven't had trouble
with either machine before this. I'm recording on Memorex music CD-R
discs.
Any ideas what is causing this, or how to fix it?
Thanks.

hevron blacktick

"ELC" wrote in message
om...
I'm compiling some music from a DAT to a CD, using digital IO.
Sounded fine going in. When I finished the CD and checked, though, on
about half of the tracks I can hear what sounds like cracks and pops
from an old record. It's not the typical pop you hear when you overdo
the signal, either. It's just a straight transfer. The machines I'm
using are a Tascam DA-20 and a Philips CD-R. I haven't had trouble
with either machine before this. I'm recording on Memorex music CD-R
discs.
Any ideas what is causing this, or how to fix it?
Thanks.

I've had a very similar problem with using analog RCA cables with SPDIF
transfer...could that be it?