Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default Are they using real-time pitch fix?

Song from a Lady Antebellum concert. Three-part harmony in places and they're album tight.

I'd like to think they're just really well-rehearsed and have their stuff together but I know real-time pitch correction exists.

Whaddya think? Harmonies come in at about 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Brassplyer wrote:
Song from a Lady Antebellum concert. Three-part harmony in places and they're album tight.

I'd like to think they're just really well-rehearsed and have their stuff together but I know real-time pitch correction exists.

It does, but it doesn't work worth a damn. I have seen people try to use it
in concert and the effects are obvious.

Whaddya think? Harmonies come in at about 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

They might just be good. It used to be a lot of performers were that good,
because they had to be. On the other hand, maybe they are lipsynching in
concert, which is a very, very common thing today.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 27/12/2018 01:25, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Brassplyer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

They might just be good. It used to be a lot of performers were that good,
because they had to be. On the other hand, maybe they are lipsynching in
concert, which is a very, very common thing today.
--scott

Just looking at the video, there's no mic, pickup or connection visible
from here for that perfectly balanced acoustic guitar, so that makes sense.

Though it may be that there is a bridge pickup and a hidden radio pack.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 15:18:13 -0800 (PST), Brassplyer
wrote:

Song from a Lady Antebellum concert. Three-part harmony in places and they're album tight.

I'd like to think they're just really well-rehearsed and have their stuff together but I know real-time pitch correction exists.

Whaddya think? Harmonies come in at about 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

Sounds natural to me.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote:

Song from a Lady Antebellum concert. Three-part harmony in places and they're album tight.

I'd like to think they're just really well-rehearsed and have their stuff together but I know real-time pitch correction exists.

Whaddya think? Harmonies come in at about 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

Sounds natural to me.

There is some slide guitar (and keys ?) amongst the harmonies as well.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
robans robans is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Brassplyer wrote:
Song from a Lady Antebellum concert. Three-part harmony in places and they're album tight.

I'd like to think they're just really well-rehearsed and have their stuff together but I know real-time pitch correction exists.

It does, but it doesn't work worth a damn. I have seen people try to use it
in concert and the effects are obvious.

Whaddya think? Harmonies come in at about 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

They might just be good. It used to be a lot of performers were that good,
because they had to be. On the other hand, maybe they are lipsynching in
concert, which is a very, very common thing today.
--scott

Good call; fun to guess if a performance is real or not! Watching this
it looks like it's a lip synch, they are not breathing properly to sing
this... if not, apologies to the artists!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

My METS and YANKS need to start using pitch fix!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 29/12/2018 9:54 PM, robans wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Brassplyer* wrote:
[...]

Most modern singers are technically barely 'singing' at all. So
breathing likely not an issue.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
robans robans is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Brassplyer wrote:
[...]

You may be right there, they're doing it quite effortlessly. Plus in ear
monitoring so they can hear well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Brassplyer wrote:
Song from a Lady Antebellum concert. Three-part harmony in places and they're album tight.

I'd like to think they're just really well-rehearsed and have their stuff together but I know real-time pitch correction exists.

Whaddya think? Harmonies come in at about 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

Those harmonies aren't so perfect as to be not live. They sound
Autotuney in that there's a bit of triangle wave to 'em but people
sing like that now.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Brassplyer* wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dp4GLm7sgo

They might just be good.* It used to be a lot of performers were that
good,
because they had to be.* On the other hand, maybe they are lipsynching in
concert, which is a very, very common thing today.
--scott

Just looking at the video, there's no mic, pickup or connection visible
from here for that perfectly balanced acoustic guitar, so that makes sense.

Though it may be that there is a bridge pickup and a hidden radio pack.

The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw a very
small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the guitar strap.
It went by very quickly and could have just been a reflection or the
guitar strap itself.

You can hide a wireless transmitter with a guitar strap.

Gad, that intro is horrible.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 30 Dec 2018, Les Cargill wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw
a very small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the
guitar strap. It went by very quickly and could have just been a
reflection or the guitar strap itself.

There is a red cable plugged into the end pin, visible at 2:27 and
4:22. The cable wraps around behind the guy, presumably to a wireless
pack on his belt or guitar strap.

I don't hear any obvious vocal pitch correction, which doesn't mean
there isn't any, of course. If there is, it's tastefully done. The
whole thing sound very well-mixed and balanced... almost too good to be
true. I think this group has a lot of money behind it, so I suppose
they have the best, most expensive electronic and human resources
available.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Nil said...news:XnsA9C89F82EF6B8nilch1
@wheedledeedle.moc:

On 30 Dec 2018, Les Cargill wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

The camera avoids angles that show it clearly,but I thought I saw
a very small, discreet cable running from the endpin to under the
guitar strap. It went by very quickly and could have just been a
reflection or the guitar strap itself.

There is a red cable plugged into the end pin, visible at 2:27 and
4:22. The cable wraps around behind the guy, presumably to a wireless
pack on his belt or guitar strap.

I don't hear any obvious vocal pitch correction, which doesn't mean
there isn't any, of course. If there is, it's tastefully done. The
whole thing sound very well-mixed and balanced... almost too good to be
true. I think this group has a lot of money behind it, so I suppose
they have the best, most expensive electronic and human resources
available.

My vote is for "they are THAT good."

I have to wonder how many times they've performed this song since it was
first released. They've had plenty of time to get beyond any electronic
tuning if there ever was any IMHO. It did sound like they had a click
track, though.

david

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

david gourley wrote:
[...]

Probably.

Somebody would have to explain the concept behind that kik part in the
intro. It just sounds poorly played but it's that way throughout.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr2 Dr2 is offline

On 12/30/2018 9:57 AM, Les Cargill wrote:

Those harmonies aren't so perfect as to be not live. They sound
Autotuney in that there's a bit of triangle wave to 'em but people
sing like that now.

Ain't that the truth! I can certainly vouch for that...
My neighbor kid grew up listening to the early (bad) auto-tuned vocals.
He was so constantly exposed to the dreaded artifacts that he actually
learned to sing that way. To listen to him sing live with no
electronics....it was eerie. I keep checking his neck to see if he had
a USB port on there.

The good news was, it was fairly easy for him to just drop the
"undesirable artifact" part of his style and keep the "locked on pitch"
so he is actually a really good singer now.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 9/01/2019 9:23 PM, Dr2 wrote:
On 12/30/2018 9:57 AM, Les Cargill wrote:

Those harmonies aren't so perfect as to be not live. They sound
AutotuneyÂ* in that there's a bit of triangle wave to 'em but people
sing like that now.

Ain't that the truth!Â* I can certainly vouch for that...
My neighbor kid grew up listening to the early (bad) auto-tuned vocals.
Â*He was so constantly exposed to the dreaded artifacts that he actually
learned to sing that way.Â*Â* To listen to him sing live with no
electronics....it was eerie.Â*Â* I keep checking his neck to see if he had
a USB port on there.Â*

The good news was, it was fairly easy for him to just drop the
"undesirable artifact" part of his style and keep the "locked on pitch"
so he is actually a really good singer now.

The nasal effect.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Olhsson[_2_] Bob Olhsson[_2_] is offline

A LOT of todays artists perform to pre-recorded tracks.

My experience has also been that people sing more out of tune using Out-A-Tuna than without.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bob Olhsson wrote:
A LOT of todays artists perform to pre-recorded tracks.

My experience has also been that people sing more out of tune using Out-A-Tuna than without.

"In tune" is kind of a myth. It's possible to be a eighth tone flat and
sound better than you would right on top of the pitch. It's the
strangest thing.

Pianos might be ET but our ears are still Pythagorean.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Les Cargill" wrote in message ...

Bob Olhsson wrote:
A LOT of todays artists perform to pre-recorded tracks.

My experience has also been that people sing more out of tune using
Out-A-Tuna than without.

"In tune" is kind of a myth. It's possible to be a eighth tone flat and
sound better than you would right on top of the pitch. It's the
strangest thing.

Pianos might be ET but our ears are still Pythagorean.

+1

Poly the piano tuner ;-)

---