Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Preamp for my U195

I just acquired a Soundelux U195. It will be used to mainly record
voices. Do I really need to get a preamp for it? Would that really make
a difference - what kind of difference? If so, what is the cheapest one
that I could get that would give me good results? Or can the U195 give
outstanding results without a preamp?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

wrote:
I just acquired a Soundelux U195. It will be used to mainly record
voices. Do I really need to get a preamp for it?

No, it will make an excellent paperweight withouit a preamp. You don't
even need to get a cable. But keep it in the box. Otherwise it's prone
to rolling off the table.

Seriously, what do you plan to do with it? That's a pretty expensive
mic to not have a clue. If you have some other gear that you intended
to use it with, fess up. Otherwise we'll just keep poking fun at you.
Of coure you need some kind of a preamp in order to get useful sound
out of it, and phantom power, too. But you might already have one and
not be telling us about it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
wrote:
I just acquired a Soundelux U195. It will be used to mainly record
voices. Do I really need to get a preamp for it?

No, it will make an excellent paperweight withouit a preamp. You don't
even need to get a cable. But keep it in the box. Otherwise it's prone
to rolling off the table.

Seriously, what do you plan to do with it? That's a pretty expensive
mic to not have a clue. If you have some other gear that you intended
to use it with, fess up. Otherwise we'll just keep poking fun at you.
Of coure you need some kind of a preamp in order to get useful sound
out of it, and phantom power, too. But you might already have one and
not be telling us about it.

lol lol. funny.

Yes, I do have phantom power but it is coming from my audio interface.
Basically, my setup was to connect the U195 to my M-Audio Firewire 410
audio interface that would be connected to my computer. But I am not
sure if that will give good results for the voices that I will be
recording (R&B to Hip Hop type of stuff). I am on a tight budget, so I
wouldn't want anything too expensive; but I definitely want something
that will do the job.

Please let me know.
Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
I just acquired a Soundelux U195. It will be used to mainly record
voices. Do I really need to get a preamp for it? Would that really make
a difference - what kind of difference? If so, what is the cheapest one
that I could get that would give me good results? Or can the U195 give
outstanding results without a preamp?

If you have a line input that you want to plug it into, you need a preamp.

If you have a mike input that you want to plug it into, you already have
a preamp. Whether you have a good one or not depends on what it is that
you're plugging it into. Needless to say the preamps built into a Midas
are somewhat better than those built into a Mackie.