Recording Bit and Sample Rates

Old September 14th 05, 02:45 PM
Eric Toline

For film sound I use 16/48 on DAT and 24/48 with a Sound Devices 744T.

Eric

Old September 14th 05, 03:25 PM
Fletch

Here in Oregon wrote On 09/13/05 14:37,:
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

48/16 tracking 44.1/16 for release to cd

--fletch
Old September 14th 05, 03:44 PM
Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

> "Here in Oregon" > wrote in
> message
> oups.com
>> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate
>> you are recording with?
>>
>> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup
>> are using with all of these converters coming out coupled
>> with the power of the new computers and speed of the new
>> hard drives.

> 16/44 for 24 track 30 minute live recording sessions. The
> space requirements got to me, even at the current low cost
> of hard drive space. If anything my recordings sound
> better, but probably because I cleaned up other parts of
> the process.

Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Old September 14th 05, 04:58 PM
Carey Carlan

"Here in Oregon" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

44.1/16 for tracking on site, converted to 44.1/32 (only option I have
above 16 bits) before editing and mixdown.
Old September 14th 05, 07:03 PM
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Here in Oregon" > wrote in message oups.com...
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Record to PT 6.9.1 on 32 channels of 192 I/O @ 24bit / 44.1K (analogue desk)
or
Record to Digital tape @ 16bit / 48K (analogue desk)

Mix to PC SoundForge 16bit / 44.1K (analogue desk)
or
Mix to 1/4" analogue tape (analogue desk)
or
Mix back to PT at 16 or 24 bit at 44.1K (analogue desk)

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Old September 14th 05, 07:40 PM
Bob Cain

Here in Oregon wrote:
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/44.1 for reproduction. 24/48 for test and measurement.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Old September 14th 05, 08:09 PM
Jonny Durango

Here in Oregon wrote:
> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/96 for anything that will see optical media...test and "proof of
concept" recordings are 16/44.1

Jonny Durango
Old September 14th 05, 10:43 PM
Carey Carlan

Jonny Durango > wrote in
:

> 24/96 for anything that will see optical media...test and "proof of
> concept" recordings are 16/44.1

Only the third person in this long list working regularly above 48K.
Old September 15th 05, 01:40 AM
RD Jones

Here in Oregon wrote:

> Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
> recording with?
>
> I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
> all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
> computers and speed of the new hard drives.
>
> 24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Depends on where the project is started.
A lot of stuff gets started on HD24 in other
rooms as 24/48 and that's OK. When the choice
is mine I start at 24/44. If I start something
on PC it's 32/44 and gets converted to 24/44
(the CEP/Audition file format issue).
Occasionally some ADAT based stuff shows up
and that's 20/48 or 16/48 of course.

rd

Old September 15th 05, 02:30 AM

"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message news:zumdndJHM_ZLqrXeRVn-
>> the process.

> Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Make up your mnid - 32Khz or 44KHz !!! ;-)