any way to attenuate tweeters on coaxials?

Old August 30th 04, 12:28 AM
Don Joe

Default any way to attenuate tweeters on coaxials?

I currently have Kicker K65 coaxial speakers that sound fine, but I'd like
to get a bit more midbass out of them. When I turn the gain for them up
the midbass increases but the tweeters' output also increases to a level
that's too loud. Is there a way that I can attenuate the highest
frequencies so the tweeters' loudness doesn't limit the amount of power I
can give the speakers? Maybe a resistor or two?

Thanks very much,
Don
Old August 30th 04, 03:30 AM
MZ

> I currently have Kicker K65 coaxial speakers that sound fine, but I'd like
> to get a bit more midbass out of them. When I turn the gain for them up
> the midbass increases but the tweeters' output also increases to a level
> that's too loud. Is there a way that I can attenuate the highest
> frequencies so the tweeters' loudness doesn't limit the amount of power I
> can give the speakers? Maybe a resistor or two?

A resistor will attenuate broadband... unless you're somehow able to
install it on the tweeter itself, but not all coaxials will support this
very easily. You could always consider low-passing the speaker by placing
the appropriate size inductor in series with the speaker.

But an easier solution may be to look at the installation of the driver.
Are you sure that you're getting the optimal amount of midbass for the
driver? If it's not installed optimally, it can lead to a degradation in
midbass performance. Look for a solid mounting - no leaky panels, no gaps
between the mounting flange and the mounting surface, etc. If you're sure
that it's ok, then the next step may be to consider repositioning the
drivers so that they're angled more off-axis.

Another solution would be to try to attenuate the high frequencies by
putting a layer of foam on the underside of the speaker grilles, or a piece
of foam or tissue paper over the tweeter specifically.

Sometimes, speakers that aren't amplified also exhibit the kind of symptoms
you describe. Maybe an amplifier is in order if you don't have one already.

Then there's always the possibility that it's just not the right speaker for
you. IME, Kicker speakers in general have always seemed a bit bright and
lacking in midrange.

Old September 4th 04, 01:14 AM
Don Joe

Thanks, Mark. The speakers are not sealed off well and the doors could
use some additional Dynamat-like material so I will try that first.
Thanks for the other ideas.

Don