12" passive radiator replacement?

Old January 8th 20, 05:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_]

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

On 2020-01-06 17:50:57 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:

> In article >, Mike Rivers > wrote:
>> On 1/5/2020 9:43 PM, nickbatz wrote:
>>> I have to listen and to get an idea of how much energy these speakers
>>> warrant putting into repairing them. It's not like I don't already have
>>> a bunch of very good ones.

>> I really wish I could be more selective and brutal about what I keep. I
>> have a growing pile of non-working, semi-working, or
>> works-but-obsolete-and-has-already-been-functionally-replaced stuff -
>> useful, too nice to throw away, but questionable as to whether it's
>> worth the bother, time, and money to bring back to life.
>>
>> I guess they'll go to the landfill along with me after I check out.

> They will wind up at the Manassas Hamfest.
> --scott

When is the Manassas Hamfest?
Havn't been to one in too long.
Cheers
Mike

Old January 8th 20, 11:47 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 1/7/2020 11:33 PM, Michael Beacom wrote:
> When is the Manassas Hamfest?

https://w4ovh.net/welcome-to-manassas-hamfest/

June 13 this year. ARRL.org has a hamfest calendar on line

Old January 8th 20, 03:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Michael Beacom > wrote:

>When is the Manassas Hamfest?
>Havn't been to one in too long.

June 13.

The next regional one would be the Richmond Frostfest on Feb 1. I think it's
actually bigger than Manassas these days although the weather is much worse.

Old January 8th 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:

> A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
> you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
> the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
> a port.

That's beyond my ken.

I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.
Old January 8th 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 11:08:42 -0800 (PST), nickbatz
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:
>
>> A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
>> you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
>> the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
>> a port.

>That's beyond my ken.
>
>I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.

The software will do that for you.

Old January 8th 20, 08:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

> The software will do that for you.

Ah. Well, maybe if these speakers turn out to be worth it I'll think about that.
Old January 9th 20, 09:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gregz

nickbatz > wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:
>
>> A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
>> you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
>> the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
>> a port.

> That's beyond my ken.
>
> I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.

Port or passive start out measuring impedance. The passive or port will
reduce woofer excursion over most of the low bass range, to almost none.
Selecting a frequency say around 50 Hz, putting hand near port will make
woofer move more. Adding some sticky gum to passive will do same thing. I
would first measure passive resonant frequency to see if it's proper. You
can visual tune very close to same watching impedance plots. Converting to
port is not always possible. Some of the other aspects get complicated, as
I read a very nice write up on the subject, beyond what I wanted to see.

Greg
Old January 11th 20, 05:49 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

nickbatz wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 8:05:09 PM UTC-8, Trevor wrote:
>
>> A lot of passive radiators are tuned by adding mass to the cone. So if
>> you can measure the bass response, it will be cheaper to simply adjust
>> the cone mass. Cheaper still to throw away the PR and tune the box with
>> a port.

> That's beyond my ken.
>
> I mean, I can measure the bass response, but I have NFI how to tune the box with a port.

WinISD will allow you to play with this to your heart's content.

--
Les Cargill
Old January 11th 20, 07:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

> WinISD will allow you to play with this to your heart's content.
>
> --
> Les Cargill

Coolio. I don't have an audio interface on any of my Windows machines (I just use them as slaves to play samples), but if it's just entering specs that should work.

Thaniks!
Old January 11th 20, 08:50 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/01/2020 7:27 pm, nickbatz wrote:
>> WinISD will allow you to play with this to your heart's content.
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill

> Coolio. I don't have an audio interface on any of my Windows machines (I just use them as slaves to play samples), but if it's just entering specs that should work.
>
> Thaniks!

Surely you wouldn't have a PC that *hasn't* some sort of audio interface
on the mainboard, at least ?!!