A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

converting WAV file to MP3



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old January 4th 20, 12:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,579
Default converting WAV file to MP3

On 4/01/2020 1:59 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> I need help from the specialists on this group.
>>
>>
>> Please download and examine the following WAV file;
>>
>> http://www.c-compiler.com/myfiles/stgeorges-201219.WAV
>>
>> I want to convert this to an MP3 file.
>>
>> Please tell me what settings I should use for the MP3 file, eg; MP3
>> Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional), attributes eg 128
>> kbit/sec, 48.000 Hz, Mono
>>
>> Please try to give specfic advice, because my understanding of audio
>> formats is poor, and I need guidance as to the best MP3 parameters for
>> this conversion.

>
> This is basically what a mastering engineer does. The mastering engineer
> will listen to different codecs and make encoding adjustments (each of the
> codecs has several hundred settings) in order to get the encoding as
> transparent as possible.
>
> It sounds to me like you are asking someone to do the job of a mastering
> engineer for you, without paying them. This is not likely to happen.
>
> My suggestion is that if you don't care about streaming that you just
> use the highest bit rate available, use the LAME encoder, and it won't
> be horrible. If you care about streaming and want compromises to be made
> in a reasonable fashion, you will get what you pay for.
> --scott
>



To hell with MP3s.

Nowadays storage memory is cheap and huge. I just rip CDs to ALAC on an
iPod via the worst ever audio program (iTunes), and convert to FLAC for
my phone which has far bigger SD card capacity than my 64GB iPod.

The mono thing can be achieved at the ALC-FLAC (or whatever target
format) stage with whichever software (in my case Sound Forge).

geoff
Ads
  #13  
Old January 4th 20, 01:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Phil W
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 139
Default converting WAV file to MP3

2020-01-04 10:49 lid:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 08:56:08 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
> > wrote:
>
>> I've just looked at the file. Its very short and sounds like somebody trying
>> to record something with the microphone inside a backpack next to some noisy
>> machinery. What on earth is the point in making it into an mp3, its very
>> short already and unless its some alien communication it seems a trifle
>> useless.
>> Brian

>
> Can you embed a WAV file in an HTML web page? Obviously you can embed
> an MP3 file in a web page, but I think you can't with a WAV.
>
> According to;
>
>
https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_audio.asp
>
> you cannot use an AUDIO element for a WAV for IE/Edge.
>
> This is adquate reason for converting to MP3.


So, you do not really need a file encoded with the original Fraunhofer
MP3 codec, which is not available for free, but just a file, that looks
like an MP3 encoded by whatever codec.
In such cases a LAME (=Lame Ain´t an MP3 Encoder, because of copyright
stuff) encoder with whatever program and the generated file with a .mp3
ending will be good enough for any browser.

If you´re using Windows, try https://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lamedrop.php
- of course the latest version, not the original one from 2001.
No installation required, just unpack the .exe and start it.
A *small* window will open, right click this for encoding options.

Suggested settings - probably more than required, but the safest bet
possible:
- (x) Bitrate, "Enter Target Bitrate: 320", check "Restrict to Constant
Bitrate (CBR)
- Encoding Engine Quality: HIGH, if applicable check "Mono Encoding"
- leave *all* other settings UNchecked
- Accept

Next, right click the window again for "Tagging setup" and UNcheck
everything.

By default, output directory = input directory.

Now, drag and drop your source file onto the LameDropXPd window to start
encoding - the target file will be the same file name as the input .WAV
but with .MP3 ending

hint: all those settings will be written to a .ini file in the same
directory and the .exe and used every time for new encoding sessions.

Sounds like a lot of parameters? In my experience still the least effort
compared to any other MP3/LAME encoder I´ve tried during the last 20
years and much easier than using Audacity or Goldwave just for the LAME
encoder.

Good luck with your quest!
  #14  
Old January 4th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,103
Default converting WAV file to MP3

On 1/4/2020 3:56 AM, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
> sounds like somebody trying
> to record something with the microphone inside a backpack next to some noisy
> machinery. What on earth is the point in making it into an mp3, its very
> short already and unless its some alien communication it seems a trifle
> useless.


Maybe to share. While MP3 doesn't offer the highest fidelity, it's the
most common audio file format and just about everyone can play it. Some
people might balk at downloading or trying to play a WAV file because
they don't know what it is.


--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #15  
Old January 4th 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,706
Default converting WAV file to MP3

Mike Rivers wrote:

>Maybe to share. While MP3 doesn't offer the highest fidelity,
>it's the most common audio file format and just about everyone
>can play it. Some people might balk at downloading or trying
>to play a WAV file because they don't know what it is.


WAV sure would make things a lot easier!

What I'd like to know is why, when I double click MP3 files of songs in Windows
Vista to play them in Windows Media Player, it takes 3-5min. to start playing?

A WAV, no problem. Double click the file, Media Player opens, starts playing the
song within two seconds.
  #17  
Old January 4th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,676
Default converting WAV file to MP3

On 04/01/2020 16:35, Mike Rivers wrote:
> Maybe it's going out to a few web sites to see if the music is stolen? I
> use WinAmp (yes, it's old) and it plays just about anything, real
> snappy. And the best feature for me - and I've looked for this in other
> media players and haven't found it - is the Bookmarks. I save the URL of
> streaming radio stations that I like to listen to and can get to them
> straight from WinAmp without having to open a real web browser.
>

It was a real shame when support for Winamp was discontinued after the
original team were bought out.

Luckily, versions for Windows and Android are still available if you search.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
  #18  
Old January 4th 20, 07:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
MikeS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default converting WAV file to MP3

On 04/01/2020 09:49, lid wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 08:56:08 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
> > wrote:
>
>> I've just looked at the file. Its very short and sounds like somebody trying
>> to record something with the microphone inside a backpack next to some noisy
>> machinery. What on earth is the point in making it into an mp3, its very
>> short already and unless its some alien communication it seems a trifle
>> useless.
>> Brian

>
> Can you embed a WAV file in an HTML web page? Obviously you can embed
> an MP3 file in a web page, but I think you can't with a WAV.
>
> According to;
>
>
https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_audio.asp
>
> you cannot use an AUDIO element for a WAV for IE/Edge.
>
> This is adquate reason for converting to MP3.
>

Your questions/concerns are overkill for what you want.

As others already said there are plenty of free programs with which the
conversion to a perfectly adequate mp3 file is a trivial task. If you
prefer you can even do it online:
https://online-audio-converter.com/

  #19  
Old January 4th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default converting WAV file to MP3

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 07:56:39 -0500, Mike Rivers >
wrote:

>On 1/4/2020 3:56 AM, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
>> sounds like somebody trying
>> to record something with the microphone inside a backpack next to some noisy
>> machinery. What on earth is the point in making it into an mp3, its very
>> short already and unless its some alien communication it seems a trifle
>> useless.

>
>Maybe to share. While MP3 doesn't offer the highest fidelity, it's the
>most common audio file format and just about everyone can play it. Some
>people might balk at downloading or trying to play a WAV file because
>they don't know what it is.


Absolutely. I think HTML5's AUDIO element doesn't allow WAV for MS
Internet Explorer and Edge. I'm not sure about this and will follow up
when I have some information.
  #20  
Old January 5th 20, 01:39 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,693
Default converting WAV file to MP3

Phil W > wrote:
>
>So, you do not really need a file encoded with the original Fraunhofer
>MP3 codec, which is not available for free, but just a file, that looks
>like an MP3 encoded by whatever codec.
>In such cases a LAME (=Lame Ain´t an MP3 Encoder, because of copyright
>stuff) encoder with whatever program and the generated file with a .mp3
>ending will be good enough for any browser.


The LAME encoder today is actually likely to sound better than the
Fraunhofer encoder on any particular material.

There was a time when the Fraunhofer encoder was a clear win with material
that had wider dynamic range and limited high frequency content, while the
LAME encoder was usually a win for material with limited dynamic range but
more high end. But things have changed and although there are still some
tracks that do better with the Fraunhofer encoder, most are likely to do
better with LAME if properly set.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
111 converting file formats Dewitt Tech 0 March 27th 06 12:31 PM
111 converting file formats Dewitt Pro Audio 0 March 27th 06 12:29 PM
Converting Korg 5 file format brownh Pro Audio 1 February 23rd 05 02:47 AM
Audacity created .mp3 file bigger than original .wav file wylbur37 Tech 5 August 22nd 04 02:56 PM
Converting file types - Slightly OT Paul in Redland Car Audio 4 September 16th 03 03:27 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.