Test Leads

Old January 2nd 20, 03:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

Default Test Leads

I really, really like Pomona test leads and mini-grabber jumper leads.
However, they are painfully expensive. Quality costs more, I get that,
but some of the prices just don't make much sense for a clip on a piece
of wire.

Is there another brand of test leads and jumpers you really like? I'm
getting ready to throw all of the crappy Chinese clip leads I've
accumulated into the trash can. To replace them all with Pomona would be
over $500, which is more than I wish to spend at the moment.
Old January 2nd 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 1/2/2020 9:13 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
> I'm getting ready to throw all of the crappy Chinese clip leads I've
> accumulated into the trash can. To replace them all with Pomona would be
> over $500, which is more than I wish to spend at the moment.

There's no good replacement for those little "grabber" clips, but for
routine test leads, why not buy a couple of rolls of test lead wire and
a bag of alligator clips from a reputable manufacturer and make your
own. And don't forget banana plugs.

Making your own will help you to pare down the number of test leads you
have. I must have a couple of hundred that I've accumulated over the
years, but I rarely use more than half a dozen at a time, particularly
if I don't count those that are almost permanently connected to meters.
Most of my meters live with one clip and one probe, but I have a few
extras if I want two clips or two probes on a meter. Every once in a
while I get the urge to clean up some portion of my shop and it always
makes me realize that I don't really need ALL of this stuff (just most
of it).

Old January 2nd 20, 07:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 > wrote:
>I really, really like Pomona test leads and mini-grabber jumper leads.
>However, they are painfully expensive. Quality costs more, I get that,
>but some of the prices just don't make much sense for a clip on a piece
>of wire.
>
>Is there another brand of test leads and jumpers you really like? I'm
>getting ready to throw all of the crappy Chinese clip leads I've
>accumulated into the trash can. To replace them all with Pomona would be
>over $500, which is more than I wish to spend at the moment.

The Fluke ones aren't bad, but they aren't that much cheaper than the
Pomonas.
Old January 2nd 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 02/01/2020 14:50, Mike Rivers wrote:

> Every once in a
> while I get the urge to clean up some portion of my shop and it always
> makes me realize that I don't really need ALL of this stuff (just most
> of it).

If you are anything like me, the stuff that you don't think you will
need, you will need for the first time in a decade the day *after* you
junk it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

hot scope leads? RchTop Vacuum Tubes 48 July 22nd 06 03:57 AM
Car audio mute leads ?? Jon Car Audio 2 August 23rd 05 04:45 PM
Soldering speaker leads??? sanitarium Car Audio 10 January 22nd 04 04:55 AM
Help with XLR leads needed John L Rice Pro Audio 12 August 29th 03 04:17 PM