A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter.com

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter.com forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 27th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 644
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

I went to play a piano piece tonight, and the sustain pedal wasn't
working. Yamaha So8 -> USB MIDI -> Windows 10 -> any program I try.

So I knew it was the pedal, because I've had it for around 20 years
and I've repaired it many times. After some work at the bench, I
decided that the pedal was fine. I rebooted everything and checked
again. None of my software would react to the pedal. I loaded a
piano sound into a popular software synth product, and I could see
its MIDI reception indicator blinking with each press and release
of the pedal, so I knew the signal was getting there, but no product
I have seems to react to the sustain pedal.

Voice of Vincent: Heeeelp Meeee.


Tobiah
Ads
  #2  
Old December 27th 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,135
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/26/2019 8:41 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I went to play a piano piece tonight, and the sustain pedal wasn't
> working.* Yamaha So8 -> USB MIDI -> Windows 10 -> any program I try.


This is a long shot since I don't know your hardware, but have you tried
to see if your sustain pedal is working backwards? Some pedals are
normally off, some are normally on, and some have a switch. Same for
some keyboards. If your pedal is normally off and the keyboard thinks
that normal is with the switch on, it will act like it's not working.
Could be that something got switched the wrong way.

Check the manual for the keyboard to see if there's a setting that will
swap the response to the pedal. I know of one keyboard, though I'm not
sure what model it is, that if you hold the pedal down when powering up
the keyboard, it will set itself so that it responds to the pedal down
whether it's normally off or normally on.


--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #3  
Old December 27th 19, 11:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 557
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.



"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

On 12/26/2019 8:41 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I went to play a piano piece tonight, and the sustain pedal wasn't
> working. Yamaha So8 -> USB MIDI -> Windows 10 -> any program I try.


This is a long shot since I don't know your hardware, but have you tried
to see if your sustain pedal is working backwards? Some pedals are
normally off, some are normally on, and some have a switch. Same for
some keyboards. If your pedal is normally off and the keyboard thinks
that normal is with the switch on, it will act like it's not working.
Could be that something got switched the wrong way.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Good thought, but if that were the case wouldn't all the notes be sustaining
when not pressing the pedal and the sustaining stop when pressing?

Poly

  #4  
Old December 27th 19, 12:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,135
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/2019 6:27 AM, polymod wrote:
> if that were the case wouldn't all the notes be sustaining when not
> pressing the pedal and the sustaining stop when pressing?


Yes, but depending on what instrument you were hearing, you might not
notice if you were focused on why nothing's changing when pressing the
pedal. That's why I said it was a long shot. But, true, there should be
a change when pressing the pedal, and Tobiah probably could have noticed
that.

Could be a hardware problem with the keyboard - a faulty or too-dirty
jack, a broken wire, or a poor solder joint.

--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #5  
Old December 27th 19, 07:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 644
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/19 4:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

Switch is normally open, but notes don't sustain either way.

I'm not playing sounds through the keyboard, but going into
a sofware synth via usb MIDI out. I see the midi light in the synth
flick when I press or release the pedal, but hear no change in
the piano sounds.

I know there is not enough info to trouble shoot, just thought
I'd give it a shot.

> On 12/27/2019 6:27 AM, polymod wrote:
>> if that were the case wouldn't all the notes be sustaining when not
>> pressing the pedal and the sustaining stop when pressing?

>
> Yes, but depending on what instrument you were hearing, you might not
> notice if you were focused on why nothing's changing when pressing
> the pedal. That's why I said it was a long shot. But, true, there
> should be a change when pressing the pedal, and Tobiah probably could
> have noticed that.
>
> Could be a hardware problem with the keyboard - a faulty or too-dirty
> jack, a broken wire, or a poor solder joint.
>


  #6  
Old December 27th 19, 08:05 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,135
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/2019 2:41 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I'm not playing sounds through the keyboard, but going into
> a sofware synth via usb MIDI out.* I see the midi light in the synth
> flick when I press or release the pedal, but hear no change in
> the piano sounds.


Try a MIDI running a monitor on your computer to see what MIDI message
is actually coming out of the keyboard when you press the sustain pedal.
The pedal may be mapping to something that your software synth doesn't
understand.

If you're using Windows, MIDI-Ox is good, provides understandable
results, and it's free:

http://www.midiox.com/

--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #7  
Old December 27th 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,673
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 28/12/2019 1:03 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 12/27/2019 6:27 AM, polymod wrote:
>> if that were the case wouldn't all the notes be sustaining when not
>> pressing the pedal and the sustaining stop when pressing?

>
> Yes, but depending on what instrument you were hearing, you might not
> notice if you were focused on why nothing's changing when pressing the
> pedal. That's why I said it was a long shot. But, true, there should be
> a change when pressing the pedal, and Tobiah probably could have noticed
> that.
>
> Could be a hardware problem with the keyboard - a faulty or too-dirty
> jack, a broken wire, or a poor solder joint.
>



More likely a combination of inadvertent key-presses on the keyboard
that has disabled the sustain pedal.

geoff
  #8  
Old December 28th 19, 01:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 644
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/2019 11:41 AM, Tobiah wrote:
> On 12/27/19 4:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> Switch is normally open, but notes don't sustain either way.


Not that it matters for the discussion, but I chose the
wrong terminology here. The switch is normally closed,
meaning that it conducts with no foot on the pedal.
  #9  
Old December 28th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 644
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

> More likely a combination of inadvertent key-presses on the keyboard
> that has disabled the sustain pedal.
>
> geoff


Good guess, but MIDI-OX (Thanks Mike) wasn't showing expected
data for a sustain press, so I did a factory reset on the So8.
I'm back to normal now. MIDI-OX shows CC: Pedal (Sustain) and
my pianos work as expected.

It's odd, because I only ever use the synth for controlling
things on my computer. I don't have much occasion to consult
the synth's menus. I don't know why something might have changed.


Thanks all, for the guidance.


Tobiah

  #10  
Old December 28th 19, 03:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,135
Default Hail Mary for my sustain pedal.

On 12/27/2019 9:15 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> Good guess, but MIDI-OX (Thanks Mike) wasn't showing expected
> data for a sustain press, so I did a factory reset on the So8.
> I'm back to normal now.* MIDI-OX shows CC: Pedal (Sustain) and
> my pianos work as expected.


Good. Glad to point you in the right direction. Sometimes it helps to
actually test what's going on, if you have the means to do it.

> It's odd, because I only ever use the synth for controlling
> things on my computer.* I don't have much occasion to consult
> the synth's menus.* I don't know why something might have changed.


A wise friend once told me, back when we were first seeing digital audio
hardware and instruments, "If it has a processor in it, some time it's
going to bite you in the ass."

When the expected doesn't make sense, expect something unexpected has
happened.


--
For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some way to sustain the tone of a glockenspiel Earlee Pro Audio 38 February 23rd 11 05:14 PM
All hail to the ultrafidelista for what they got right Andre Jute[_2_] Vacuum Tubes 8 December 3rd 08 03:20 AM
All hail to the ultrafidelista for what they got right Andre Jute[_2_] Vacuum Tubes 4 December 2nd 08 02:27 PM
these days, go sustain a conduct Aneyd Mhammed AL-Makhoul Car Audio 0 December 29th 07 07:54 PM
Sustain pedal during tracking ?? Daniel Pro Audio 10 January 31st 05 10:37 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AudioBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.