Mac Pro 2019

Old December 24th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

Default Mac Pro 2019

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 9:14:58 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> We're at the point where SSDs are so much faster than rotating disk and yet
> not that much more expensive than rotating disk. You can now buy a 500T
> SSD from a major manufacturer (not server grade but entirely acceptable for
> routine use) for $100.
>
> There is no longer any reason not to have your boot disk and work disk be
> an SSD. Now, the truth is that it's not as big a deal at boot time with OSX
> than it is with Windows; the SSD will vastly speed up windows start time
> and the amount of time you sit around waiting for updates to get applied.
> With OSX the boot is relatively fast and efficient already so it's not as
> big a win. But it's still certainly a huge win in terms of starting up
> Pro Tools and loading a file in for a rapid change.
> --scott

I'm using SSD drives on two macs that I installed myself and have a third in a 2017 iMac Pro. On the iMac Pro. It's the only functional drive and I run Logic pro and Final Cut Pro from it. So far no worries except finding a way to secure the smaller drives into the older machine bays. Not really a problem, just a thing to deal with.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Old December 27th 19, 01:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil > wrote:
>On 23 Dec 2019, (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
>rec.audio.pro:
>
>> We're at the point where SSDs are so much faster than rotating
>> disk and yet not that much more expensive than rotating disk. You
>> can now buy a 500T SSD from a major manufacturer (not server grade
>> but entirely acceptable for routine use) for $100.

>Surely you must mean 500 GB, not T(erabyte)?!

Yes, because I can't type worth a damn. That was definitely a thinko.

>I'll stick to conventional hard disks for now. They're much cheaper
>than SS disks, and reasonably reliable, and I'm comfortable dealing
>with them. They're slower, of course, not that has not ever been a
>problem for me. I've been led to believe that SSDs are liable to fail
>prematurely without warning. That's enough to put me off them. HDD is a
>mature and proven technology.

Rotating hard drives are likely to fail without warning too. Drives
fail a lot, and neither HDDs nor SDDs should ever be considered to be
reliable. Always have backups. Always. If possible, have snapshots too.

>You can get 4 terabyte hard disks for well under $100 any day of the
>week. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

It is. Get two, and mirror them.
Old December 27th 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_]

On 2019-12-24 03:00:11 +0000, Trevor said:

> On 24/12/2019 6:18 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Phil W > wrote:
>>> The "problem" is, that Apple wants to apply crazy high prices for an SSD
>>> (just like all other upgradable hardware parts) compared to other
>>> manufacturers. If Apple could just get off their arrogant path of "our stuff
>>> ist bettererererer, because its so much more expensive!111111" and make
>>> more reasonable prices for hardware, it could be a little more fair for
>>> everyone involved.

>> Apple charges it because people pay it.

> Yep, they have always charged what they can get away with, and it seems
> Apple tragic's will happily pay whatever they ask.
>

> > And on the PC desktop end of things, you have expensive hardware
> > and junk hardware and there is no middle ground there either.

> Now that is just plain wrong. It's easy to buy a new generic PC from
> about $500 to over $8k with every conceivable price point in between
> well covered. Perhaps not from every single manufacturer, but you have
> SO many to choose from, unlike Apple.

Well, not happily. My desk top Mac get changed every 8 or 9 years, and
my laptop is 12 years old. The SSD makes the Mac Book Pro far less
annoying.
The only reason I bought a new iMac this year was for video editing.

I bought an iPhone SE for half price after it was discontinued. Don't
see a need for tan Apple Watch.