Mac Pro 2019

Old December 21st 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mac Pro 2019

I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a great machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly reached the highest level of greed.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who this is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like internal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled with Lavry Blue converters.

Gary V
Old December 21st 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22/12/2019 10:41 am, wrote:
> I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a great machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly reached the highest level of greed.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

> With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who this is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like internal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled with Lavry Blue converters.
>
> Gary V

If you weren't locked into Mac-based software you could pick up a very
high-spec generic PC where pretty much all expansion options are
plentiful and inexpensive.

Old December 22nd 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 3:28:31 PM UTC-8, geoff wrote:
> On 22/12/2019 10:41 am, wrote:
> > I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a great machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly reached the highest level of greed.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

> > With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who this is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like internal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled with Lavry Blue converters.
> >
> > Gary V
> >

> If you weren't locked into Mac-based software you could pick up a very
> high-spec generic PC where pretty much all expansion options are
> plentiful and inexpensive.
>
> geoff

I use Cubase so I could get a Windows PC. I don't need a new computer right now but I will one day, so indeed I have been looking at Windows based PC's.

I confess though, I like that under the hood the Mac has a Unix operating system with a bash shell where I can write scripts and do other chores. I'm just ranting because Apple has made a marketing decision to charge a very premium price for this new Mac Pro - because they can. I know it's assembled in the U.S.A. but mostly from overseas parts I would guess.

Gary V
Old December 23rd 19, 02:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a grea=
>t machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the =
>top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly r=
>eached the highest level of greed.
>
>https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/
>
>With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who thi=
>s is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like in=
>ternal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled =
>with Lavry Blue converters.

We're at the point where SSDs are so much faster than rotating disk and yet
not that much more expensive than rotating disk. You can now buy a 500T
SSD from a major manufacturer (not server grade but entirely acceptable for
routine use) for $100.

There is no longer any reason not to have your boot disk and work disk be
an SSD. Now, the truth is that it's not as big a deal at boot time with OSX
than it is with Windows; the SSD will vastly speed up windows start time
and the amount of time you sit around waiting for updates to get applied.
With OSX the boot is relatively fast and efficient already so it's not as
big a win. But it's still certainly a huge win in terms of starting up
Pro Tools and loading a file in for a rapid change.

Old December 23rd 19, 02:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>I use Cubase so I could get a Windows PC. I don't need a new computer right=
> now but I will one day, so indeed I have been looking at Windows based PC'=
>s.=20
>
>I confess though, I like that under the hood the Mac has a Unix operating s=
>ystem with a bash shell where I can write scripts and do other chores. I'm =
>just ranting because Apple has made a marketing decision to charge a very p=
>remium price for this new Mac Pro - because they can. I know it's assembled=
> in the U.S.A. but mostly from overseas parts I would guess.

You might look into Windows Subsystem for Linux. It gives you a Software
Tools environment under Windows, and it's not as crufty as Cygwin is. It's
still got some bugs but changes made between XP and Win7 to make for faster
fork() makes a big difference. You still have you twist your head around
because paths have \ in them in one context and / in them in another. But
it's not horrible.

I still would recommend the Mac because it's a more closed environment, but
it's true that you pay for that. And the newer Mac machines are becoming
very difficult to repair.

Old December 23rd 19, 06:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W

Scott Dorsey:
> > wrote:
>>I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a
>>grea=
>>t machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the
>>=
>>top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly
>>r=
>>eached the highest level of greed.
>>
>>https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/
>>
>>With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who
>>thi=
>>s is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like
>>in=
>>ternal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled
>>=
>>with Lavry Blue converters.

> We're at the point where SSDs are so much faster than rotating disk and
> yet
> not that much more expensive than rotating disk. You can now buy a 500T
> SSD from a major manufacturer (not server grade but entirely acceptable
> for
> routine use) for $100.
>
> There is no longer any reason not to have your boot disk and work disk be
> an SSD.

The "problem" is, that Apple wants to apply crazy high prices for an SSD
(just like all other upgradable hardware parts) compared to other
manufacturers. If Apple could just get off their arrogant path of "our stuff
ist bettererererer, because its so much more expensive!111111" and make
more reasonable prices for hardware, it could be a little more fair for
everyone involved.

Phil

Old December 23rd 19, 07:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil W > wrote:
>The "problem" is, that Apple wants to apply crazy high prices for an SSD
>(just like all other upgradable hardware parts) compared to other
>manufacturers. If Apple could just get off their arrogant path of "our stuff
>ist bettererererer, because its so much more expensive!111111" and make
>more reasonable prices for hardware, it could be a little more fair for
>everyone involved.

Apple charges it because people pay it.

And on the PC desktop end of things, you have expensive hardware and junk
hardware and there is no middle ground there either.

Old December 23rd 19, 07:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Stevens

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 3:41:50 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> I've been using Mac Pro desktops with PCI slots for many years. It's a great machine, very well built and quiet. But this new model seems so over the top in terms of base price and expensive add-ons it seems Apple has truly reached the highest level of greed.
>
> https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/
>
> With only SSD storage options adding immensely to the cost I wonder who this is geared towards. It's out of my price range these days but I do like internal PCI slots since I favor AES audio via the Lynx AES PCI card coupled with Lavry Blue converters.
>
> Gary V

An option I chose: The iMac Pro. ~$5Gs for 32 gig of RAM, super-fast processor, large SSD, good graphics card and great screen. I can run very large sessions with tons of plug-ins, VIs, my UAD system running more plugs and the Cue Mix with no sluggishness or hesitation. I sometimes have a vocalist or acoustic bass player in the booth with me . . . no issue of fan noise. Love it!
Old December 24th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 24/12/2019 6:18 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Phil W > wrote:
>> The "problem" is, that Apple wants to apply crazy high prices for an SSD
>> (just like all other upgradable hardware parts) compared to other
>> manufacturers. If Apple could just get off their arrogant path of "our stuff
>> ist bettererererer, because it´s so much more expensive!111111" and make
>> more reasonable prices for hardware, it could be a little more fair for
>> everyone involved.

> Apple charges it because people pay it.

Yep, they have always charged what they can get away with, and it seems
Apple tragic's will happily pay whatever they ask.

> And on the PC desktop end of things, you have expensive hardware
> and junk hardware and there is no middle ground there either.

Now that is just plain wrong. It's easy to buy a new generic PC from
about $500 to over $8k with every conceivable price point in between
well covered. Perhaps not from every single manufacturer, but you have
SO many to choose from, unlike Apple.

Old December 24th 19, 04:40 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24/12/2019 4:00 pm, Trevor wrote:
> On 24/12/2019 6:18 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Phil W > wrote:
>>> The "problem" is, that Apple wants to apply crazy high prices for an SSD
>>> (just like all other upgradable hardware parts) compared to other
>>> manufacturers. If Apple could just get off their arrogant path of
>>> "our stuff
>>> ist bettererererer, because it´s so much more expensive!111111" and make
>>> more reasonable prices for hardware, it could be a little more fair for
>>> everyone involved.

>> Apple charges it because people pay it.

> Yep, they have always charged what they can get away with, and it seems
> Apple tragic's will happily pay whatever they ask.

Once hooked into the religion by the deliberate tactics.