Attenuate -10db output

Old August 12th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Attenuate -10db output

I'm looking for a low cost way to slightly attenuate a -10db stereo
RCA output from an FM tuner.

This is a small cable studio's playout system. There is no mixer:
Several devices (4 streams from a video server, several tape and DVD
decks) feed into a routing switcher, then a compressor/limiter, then
into modulators and out into the cable system. It is important to have
all devices at the same approximate level; While they are all -10db,
the only significant difference is the tuner. It is noticeably louder
than all the other sources. The tuner is a Rolls RS80, and it has no
adjustment for output level (except the front-panel headphone jack,
which I am currently using. The protruding cable looks bad, and I want
to use the rear stereo RCA jacks.

I could use a cheap Behringer mini-mixer, but I'd rather find one of
those little "audio solutions" boxes that will give me control of the
level, definitely down, but perhaps up also. Any ideas?
Old August 12th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

wrote:
> I'm looking for a low cost way to slightly attenuate a -10db stereo
> RCA output from an FM tuner.
>
> This is a small cable studio's playout system. There is no mixer:
> Several devices (4 streams from a video server, several tape and DVD
> decks) feed into a routing switcher, then a compressor/limiter, then
> into modulators and out into the cable system. It is important to have
> all devices at the same approximate level; While they are all -10db,
> the only significant difference is the tuner. It is noticeably louder
> than all the other sources. The tuner is a Rolls RS80, and it has no
> adjustment for output level (except the front-panel headphone jack,
> which I am currently using. The protruding cable looks bad, and I want
> to use the rear stereo RCA jacks.
>
> I could use a cheap Behringer mini-mixer, but I'd rather find one of
> those little "audio solutions" boxes that will give me control of the
> level, definitely down, but perhaps up also. Any ideas?

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=26

Vastly overpriced IMHO. If it were me, I would make my own
with a pot in a box, but if you have to buy something off the shelf,
the RDL people make all kinds of these little convienent gadgets.

Old August 12th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
blackburst

On Aug 12, 10:15*am, "Richard Crowley" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I'm looking for a low cost way to slightly attenuate a -10db stereo
> > RCA output from an FM tuner.

> > This is a small cable studio's playout system. There is no mixer:
> > Several devices (4 streams from a video server, several tape and DVD
> > decks) feed into a routing switcher, then a compressor/limiter, then
> > into modulators and out into the cable system. It is important to have
> > all devices at the same approximate level; While they are all -10db,
> > the only significant difference is the tuner. It is noticeably louder
> > than all the other sources. The tuner is a Rolls RS80, and it has no
> > adjustment for output level (except the front-panel headphone jack,
> > which I am currently using. The protruding cable looks bad, and I want
> > to use the rear stereo RCA jacks.

> > I could use a cheap Behringer mini-mixer, but I'd rather find one of
> > those little "audio solutions" boxes that will give me control of the
> > level, definitely down, but perhaps up also. Any ideas?

> http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=26
>
> Vastly overpriced IMHO.

Interesting, and passive, too.

Old August 12th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
blackburst

On Aug 12, 10:16*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> > wrote:
> >I'm looking for a low cost way to slightly attenuate a -10db stereo
> >RCA output from an FM tuner.

> >This is a small cable studio's playout system. There is no mixer:
> >Several devices (4 streams from a video server, several tape and DVD
> >decks) feed into a routing switcher, then a compressor/limiter, then
> >into modulators and out into the cable system. It is important to have
> >all devices at the same approximate level; While they are all -10db,
> >the only significant difference is the tuner. It is noticeably louder
> >than all the other sources. The tuner is a Rolls RS80, and it has no
> >adjustment for output level (except the front-panel headphone jack,
> >which I am currently using. The protruding cable looks bad, and I want
> >to use the rear stereo RCA jacks.

> >I could use a cheap Behringer mini-mixer, but I'd rather find one of
> >those little "audio solutions" boxes that will give me control of the
> >level, definitely down, but perhaps up also. Any ideas?

> Solder two resistors inside the plug?
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."- Hide quoted text -

I just don't know exactly how much attenuation I need, or how that
translates to resistance values. An adjustable unit would let
me...well, adjust.
Old August 12th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Wecan do it

"blackburst" > wrote in message
On Aug 12, 10:16 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> > wrote:
> >I'm looking for a low cost way to slightly attenuate
> >a -10db stereo
> >RCA output from an FM tuner.

> >This is a small cable studio's playout system. There is no
> >mixer:
> >Several devices (4 streams from a video server, several
> >tape and DVD
> >decks) feed into a routing switcher, then a
> >compressor/limiter, then
> >into modulators and out into the cable system. It is
> >important to have
> >all devices at the same approximate level; While they are
> >all -10db,
> >the only significant difference is the tuner. It is
> >noticeably louder
> >than all the other sources. The tuner is a Rolls RS80, and
> >it has no
> >adjustment for output level (except the front-panel
> >headphone jack,
> >which I am currently using. The protruding cable looks bad,
> >and I want
> >to use the rear stereo RCA jacks.

> >I could use a cheap Behringer mini-mixer, but I'd rather
> >find one of
> >those little "audio solutions" boxes that will give me
> >control of the
> >level, definitely down, but perhaps up also. Any ideas?

> Solder two resistors inside the plug?
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."- Hide
> quoted text -

I just don't know exactly how much attenuation I need, or how
that
translates to resistance values. An adjustable unit would let
me...well, adjust.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
You could try one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
with the right adaptor cables.

peace
dawg

Old August 12th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

blackburst > wrote:

>I just don't know exactly how much attenuation I need, or how that
>translates to resistance values. An adjustable unit would let
>me...well, adjust.

Measure it, then.

Or cut a cheap RCA-RCA cable, solder a pot in the middle, adjust it until
the level is right, and then you know what value resistors you need.

You should not spend more than ten minutes on the whole procedure.
Old August 12th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Marko L. Spilberg

http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/CleanBox/

Old August 12th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Marko L. Spilberg

ART CleanBOX
2-Way Stereo RCA Unbalanced / XLR Balanced Convertor Box with individual
Level Controls