12" passive radiator replacement?

Old January 29th 20, 09:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

> problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space) with destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

Or unless Manny set them up.
Old January 29th 20, 09:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>
>problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space) with destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

That's a feature, not a bug. The good part is that the changing phase
relationships give you low frequency imaging. The bad part is that in
poor rooms, the changing phase relationships give you bizarre imaging that
bears little relationship to what is on the original recording.

Old January 30th 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>>
>> problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space) with destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

> That's a feature, not a bug. The good part is that the changing phase
> relationships give you low frequency imaging. The bad part is that in
> poor rooms, the changing phase relationships give you bizarre imaging that
> bears little relationship to what is on the original recording.
> --scott

I looked at subs for ... years. They're all but unbuyable.

I finally gave up and we now have a Logitech 2.1 computer speaker setup
on the big TV. I bought it to fill the gap and never bothered upgrading.
One of my kids had the same model, and I thought they weren't too bad.
Her room has an expanse of hard floor that's not kind to them, but we're
on carpet.

Yeah, it's got a 2-4k bump but it's a TV setup and they hide the dialog
under the foleys these days. No, really - you watch a 1960s movie on
them and it's just fine.

I should get an impulse of that setup.

--
Les Cargill
Old January 30th 20, 02:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 30/01/2020 3:11 pm, Les Cargill wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> * > wrote:
>>>
>>> problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right
>>> next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space)* with
>>> destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

>> That's a feature, not a bug.* The good part is that the changing phase
>> relationships give you low frequency imaging.* The bad part is that in
>> poor rooms, the changing phase relationships give you bizarre imaging
>> that
>> bears little relationship to what is on the original recording.
>> --scott
>>

> I looked at subs for ... years. They're all but unbuyable.
>
> I finally gave up and we now have a Logitech 2.1 computer speaker setup
> on the big TV. I bought it to fill the gap and never bothered upgrading.
> One of my kids had the same model, and I thought they weren't too bad.
> Her room has an expanse of hard floor that's not kind to them, but we're
> on carpet.
>
> Yeah, it's got a 2-4k bump but it's a TV setup and they hide the dialog
> under the foleys these days. No, really - you watch a 1960s movie on
> them and it's just fine.
>
> I should get an impulse of that setup.

I ended up buying a 2.1 'sound-bar' for my lounge TV everyday use,
because the sound on the TV purchased to replace a dead one was so poor
I initially took it back thinking it faulty.

Seems that most TVs' native sound today is similar quality to a 3"
transistor radio of the 1970s - presumably in a cynical move to enforce
the purchase of extra gear, or a cop-out promoted by the apparent need
for TVs to have increasing shallow physical depth.

I stick TV/DVD/BR sound through my domestic stereo instead for any
'serious' watching/listening.

Old January 30th 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_4_]

Les Cargill > :

> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right

next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space) with
destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

>> That's a feature, not a bug. The good part is that the changing phase
>> relationships give you low frequency imaging. The bad part is that in
>> poor rooms, the changing phase relationships give you bizarre imaging

that
>> bears little relationship to what is on the original recording.
>> --scott
>>

> I looked at subs for ... years. They're all but unbuyable.
>
> I finally gave up and we now have a Logitech 2.1 computer speaker setup
> on the big TV. I bought it to fill the gap and never bothered upgrading.
> One of my kids had the same model, and I thought they weren't too bad.
> Her room has an expanse of hard floor that's not kind to them, but we're
> on carpet.
>
> Yeah, it's got a 2-4k bump but it's a TV setup and they hide the dialog
> under the foleys these days. No, really - you watch a 1960s movie on
> them and it's just fine.
>
> I should get an impulse of that setup.

That's funny. I use the same thing on our main TV too. It was better than
any sound bar I heard.

david
Old January 30th 20, 05:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz

>I ended up buying a 2.1 'sound-bar' for my lounge TV everyday use,
>because the sound on the TV purchased to replace a dead one was so poor

> geoff

Same here, only it's 3.0 (no sub but a center speaker).

I used extreme critical golden ears technique when evaluating it, aka I bought the one that was the same brand as our TV sight unseen so I wouldn't have to phaff with yet another remote.

It's perfect for what it is.

Les Cargill wrote:

"I looked at subs for ... years. They're all but unbuyable."

The one I have is part of my Blue Sky System One, which consists of sealed sats + the subwoofer. It's very well integrated, unlike almost every other sub system I've hears.

There is one system that impressed the hell out of me: an $80 sub from Costco added to a pair of NS-10s. I'm not kidding! It helps that the guy who owns this setup is an absolutely amazing engineer.
Old February 1st 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 30/01/2020 1:55 pm, geoff wrote:

> I ended up buying a 2.1 'sound-bar' for my lounge TV everyday use,
> because the sound on the TV purchased to replace a dead one was so poor
> I initially took it back thinking it faulty.
>

> Seems that most TVs' native sound today is similar quality to a 3"
> transistor radio of the 1970s - presumably in a cynical move to enforce
> the purchase of extra gear, or a cop-out promoted by the apparent need
> for TVs to have increasing shallow physical depth.

Bingo! They simply can't sell a flat screen TV with a big enough space
for proper speakers to locate. It is now well accepted that you will use
a separate speaker set up of some kind, and that's probably a good thing
IMO.

> I stick TV/DVD/BR sound through my domestic stereo instead for any
> 'serious' watching/listening.

As do many people who don't have or want a full 5.1 or 7.1 HT set up.