Steven Ford

Default Cleaning cassette head?

I have lost left-channel audio in my car cassette deck (the standard deck
supplied with the 1996 Buick Regal). I have cleaned the head manually with
Q-Tips and iso-alcohol. The left channel returns after cleaning--but
disappears again after about a day or so. If I clean it again, I get the
same result. Visual inspection shows the head to be clean (at least as far
as I can tell).

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Steve

Arny Krueger

"Steven Ford" wrote in message

I have lost left-channel audio in my car cassette deck (the standard
deck supplied with the 1996 Buick Regal). I have cleaned the head
manually with Q-Tips and iso-alcohol. The left channel returns after
cleaning--but disappears again after about a day or so. If I clean it
again, I get the same result. Visual inspection shows the head to be
clean (at least as far as I can tell).

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

\
bad head alignment and/or poor tape tension.

Robert Gault

Steven Ford wrote:

I have lost left-channel audio in my car cassette deck (the standard deck
supplied with the 1996 Buick Regal). I have cleaned the head manually with
Q-Tips and iso-alcohol. The left channel returns after cleaning--but
disappears again after about a day or so. If I clean it again, I get the
same result. Visual inspection shows the head to be clean (at least as far
as I can tell).

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Steve

More than the head needs cleaning (transport wheels, capstan) and gunk
is redistributing. Perhaps the head is damaged, no longer smooth, and it
is scraping oxide from your tapes. A favorite tape is coated with lose
oxide and it leaves gunk on the head during play.

The first is more likely.

Sofie

Stephen Ford:
It is likely that your favorite cassette tapes are old, worn, edge-damaged,
wrinkled, etc....... thus leaving behind loose oxide and crud. .... also
some older cassette tape shells will start binding and thus create extra
tension when spooling out or spooling up the tape which can be the cause of
muddy sound, damaged edges, etc....
This is much like washing your car..... and washing it again.... it may be
clean but it will immediate get dirty if you drive it through a mud
puddle.... no matter how well you cleaned it. If it sounds dull before you
clean it and then after a cleaning it sounds bright and normal, you got it
clean.... until it gets dirty or clogged again. Also if it sounds bright
and clean right after cleaning this indicates that the head alignment is
just fine.
You may want to experiment with some new, high quality tapes to see if the
problem persists, if so, then I would inspect the tapes for edge damage
which might indicate a problem with the pinch roller, capstan bearing, TU
tension, back tension, etc..... but first try new tapes. You can always
duplicate your favorite old tapes to a new, good quality recording tape for
continued use and listening pleasure.
Be certain to manually clean the entire tape path, everything the tape
touches in the machine..... heads, guides, rollers, capstan, etc. .....
alcohol and a q-tip are just fine for the purpose. Regular isopropyl
alcohol is just fine but it is only 70% strength (30% water and whatever
else) You can pay a little more at a drug store and obtain a small bottle
of 91%.... or even 99% if you can find it. No matter which one you use,
the manual cleaning should take care of the loose oxide and other
contaminants but will not compensate for bad tapes. Be certain to try some
new tape before you tear things apart and start replacing parts or
realigning the heads and guides.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Steven Ford" wrote in message
I have lost left-channel audio in my car cassette deck (the standard deck
supplied with the 1996 Buick Regal). I have cleaned the head manually

with
Q-Tips and iso-alcohol. The left channel returns after cleaning--but
disappears again after about a day or so. If I clean it again, I get the
same result. Visual inspection shows the head to be clean (at least as far
as I can tell).

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Steve

Tom Aurand

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Steven Ford" wrote in message

I have lost left-channel audio in my car cassette deck (the standard
deck supplied with the 1996 Buick Regal). I have cleaned the head
manually with Q-Tips and iso-alcohol. The left channel returns after
cleaning--but disappears again after about a day or so. If I clean it
again, I get the same result. Visual inspection shows the head to be
clean (at least as far as I can tell).

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

\
bad head alignment and/or poor tape tension.

Dirty tape/radio switch contacts.

Sofie

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
Or the tape head wiring could have a problem.
Mark Z.

"Steven Ford" wrote in message
Q-Tips and iso-alcohol. The left channel returns after cleaning--but
disappears again after about a day or so. If I clean it again, I get

the
same result. Visual inspection shows the head to be clean (at least as

------------------------------------
Mark:
This doesn't sound like a "tape head wiring problem" if the problem always
goes away after a cleaning and then reappears days later............. more
than likely the OP is using damaged, worn, old, tapes that are shedding
oxide and crud thus contaminating the head. The machine could also have a
mechanical alignment problem, worn pinch roller, bad capstan bearing, or
tension problem causing tape edge damage or tape skewing..... but more than
likely NOT a wiring problem that always goes away after cleanings--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair