Posted to rec.audio.car
steer steer is offline

Default Small amp big power?

Hey gang.

My beloved ESX Q1204 needs replacing as I am needing my trunk space back
and want to move to a smaller, simpler system design.

Plan is for an 8" SQ in a sealed box under one front seat and a four
channel amp under the other.

Would like to have as much power (clean, for SQ) as possible out of a
minimum size. I know it doesn't really work that way. Given a footprint
no larger than 11"x11", do any powerful four-channel amps spring to mind?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.car
steer steer is offline

steer writes:
: Hey gang.

: My beloved ESX Q1204 needs replacing as I am needing my trunk space back
: and want to move to a smaller, simpler system design.

Decided on the Alpine PDX 4.150 to run CDT HD 6.5" deperates and a CDT
EF-8.

Read a few reviews that the amp gets hot when run for long period of time
(my commute time is long).

Anyone see a problem with me running the amp with the cover off and a fan
on it?
Posted to rec.audio.car
DJ NoMore DJ NoMore is offline

steer wrote:
steer writes:
: Hey gang.

: My beloved ESX Q1204 needs replacing as I am needing my trunk space back
: and want to move to a smaller, simpler system design.

Decided on the Alpine PDX 4.150 to run CDT HD 6.5" deperates and a CDT
EF-8.

Read a few reviews that the amp gets hot when run for long period of time
(my commute time is long).

Anyone see a problem with me running the amp with the cover off and a fan
on it?

I would be real weary about removing any covers to install a fan because
the cover you remove may actually be a functional heat transfer cover
(i.e. heatsink) and you do not want to do that.

One thing I did back in the good old days when I had an original Punch
150 that overheated was to make a shroud with 2 120mm 12 volt fans to
push and pull air over the amp. The shroud was made out of aluminum and
it worked rather well.

Then again, in your situation, you probably are not looking to ADD
additional stuff that takes up space. If you find your amp is getting
too hot and shutting off, you could always try adding a fan that blows
air across the top of it. Anything that helps to circulate that
dissipated heat is better than nothing at all!
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , DJ NoMore wrote:
steer wrote:
steer writes:
[...]

If the shroud is too much, what i do some time is just mount a fan on the
case. It can be glued or velcroed so the fan blows down on the case or sink,
just like a CPU fan. Just need some spacers.

greg

How small can you get ? Rudy Vacuum Tubes 1 November 8th 07 10:59 AM
Small power amp hum. [email protected] Pro Audio 2 April 1st 07 08:04 PM
Advice: Physically small power amplifier for use with Ipod dock. Cliff Curry Tech 3 November 15th 06 12:55 PM
Small Amp Rick Car Audio 1 July 5th 05 10:48 PM
Power transformers for small tube projects Robert Casey Vacuum Tubes 11 October 9th 03 04:05 PM