rickymix

Default "Hey Joe" ad libs?

Hey y'all,
Aloha from Hawaii! I'm here visiting my brother, and as brothers
tend to do, we're arguing about silly stuff to pass the time between
surf sessions. Currently we're debating an ad lib in the outro of
Hendrix's "Hey Joe", and I was hoping y'all would lend us you're expert
ears and settle this for us. It's where Hendrix sings;

"I'm goin' way down south
Way down where i can be free
Ain't no one gonna find me".

That's what the lyric websites say it is, but they can also be
notoriously wrong at times. My brother swears he hears, "Ain't but one
little ride", instead of "Ain't no one gonna find me". Which one of us
is right?
Thanks, Rick.

Ben Bradley

On 10 Apr 2005 14:47:02 -0700, "rickymix"
wrote:

Hey y'all,
Aloha from Hawaii!

Howdy yall from redneck country, er, The South.

I'm here visiting my brother, and as brothers
tend to do, we're arguing about silly stuff to pass the time between
surf sessions. Currently we're debating an ad lib in the outro of
Hendrix's "Hey Joe", and I was hoping y'all would lend us you're expert
ears and settle this for us. It's where Hendrix sings;

"I'm goin' way down south
Way down where i can be free
Ain't no one gonna find me".

That's what the lyric websites say it is, but they can also be
notoriously wrong at times. My brother swears he hears, "Ain't but one
little ride", instead of "Ain't no one gonna find me". Which one of us
is right?

I remember the song well, but haven't heard it in a while and I
can't be sure about the lyrics.
Have your brother google for the lyrics, to see what he can find
anything to support his position. And make sure he hasn't sneaked
around and set up a Geocities Hendrix lyrics page in the meantime.
That would be SO easy to do

That song was an earlier hit by someone else (who was it? Probably
a one hit wonder), and was on something like a "Best of '65[?]" LP
that I recall listening to in the early '70's. It was a much faster
tempo than Hendrix' version, and seemed to go by fast.
Jimi did a lot of covers, but he really made many of them his own.

Thanks, Rick.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Ben Bradley

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:27:59 GMT, LJM wrote:

Ben Bradley wrote:

That song was an earlier hit by someone else (who was it? Probably
a one hit wonder), and was on something like a "Best of '65[?]" LP
that I recall listening to in the early '70's. It was a much faster
tempo than Hendrix' version, and seemed to go by fast.

I think the band you are referring to would be The Leaves.

I googled and found more than anyone would want to know, all on a
single site. I thought Louie, Louie had a long history:

http://www.heyjoe.org/

I thought of making a joke about Harvey asking Jimi what the lyrics
are, but after reading some of the history, Harvey may have played the
song also. It appears a lot of people did that song.

Jim
--
it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your
mouth and remove all doubt....

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
rickymix

Ben wrote:
I thought of making a joke about Harvey asking Jimi what the lyrics

are, but after reading some of the history, Harvey may have played the
song also.

Is Harvey OK? I hope so. Losing one Pope in a week is enough.
Nothing bad showed up when I googled, so hopefully you're doing well,
Harvey.
Cheers, Rick.

Ray Thomas

There's a plethora of "miss-heard Hendrix lyrics" around, so much so that
one site even takes a nod toward Purple Haze ...."excuse me while I kiss
this guy"
www.kissthisguy.com The site has a lengthy explication of the origins of
this lyric.

Endless fun for those with limitless time........
Ray
wrote:

[...]

Don Pearce

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:59:21 +0930, "Ray Thomas"
wrote:

There's a plethora of "miss-heard Hendrix lyrics" around, so much so that
one site even takes a nod toward Purple Haze ...."excuse me while I kiss
this guy"
www.kissthisguy.com The site has a lengthy explication of the origins of
this lyric.

Endless fun for those with limitless time........
Ray

There is even an official word for the phenomenon - Mondegreen.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
georgeh

LJM writes:

Ben Bradley wrote:
That song was an earlier hit by someone else (who was it? Probably
a one hit wonder), and was on something like a "Best of '65[?]" LP
that I recall listening to in the early '70's. It was a much faster
tempo than Hendrix' version, and seemed to go by fast.
Jimi did a lot of covers, but he really made many of them his own.

http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

I think the band you are referring to would be The Leaves.
Jim
--

.... and Tim Rose was the 1st to slow it down IIRC. Never got AM play,
but it got played a lot on local underground radio in the day.
Jay Kadis

georgeh wrote:

LJM writes:

Ben Bradley wrote:
That song was an earlier hit by someone else (who was it? Probably
a one hit wonder), and was on something like a "Best of '65[?]" LP
that I recall listening to in the early '70's. It was a much faster
tempo than Hendrix' version, and seemed to go by fast.
Jimi did a lot of covers, but he really made many of them his own.

http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

I think the band you are referring to would be The Leaves.
Jim
--

... and Tim Rose was the 1st to slow it down IIRC. Never got AM play,
but it got played a lot on local underground radio in the day.

Yup. We (Misanthropes) played a Sunday matinee with Tim Rose at the Fillmore in
'65 or '66.

-Jay
Harvey Gerst

Ben Bradley wrote:

[...]

The earliest version I remember hearing was David Crosby's version. He
sang it when he was in the Les Baxter Balladeers. I think he got it
directly from Billy Roberts. That's my earliest recollection of the
song. I never played it or sang it myself, IIRC.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Harvey Gerst

"rickymix" wrote:

Ben wrote:
I thought of making a joke about Harvey asking Jimi what the lyrics

are, but after reading some of the history, Harvey may have played the
song also.

Is Harvey OK? I hope so. Losing one Pope in a week is enough.
Nothing bad showed up when I googled, so hopefully you're doing well,
Harvey.

Rick,

I have no immediate plans for shuffling off this mortal coil.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

georgeh

Harvey Gerst writes:
The earliest version I remember hearing was David Crosby's version. He
sang it when he was in the Les Baxter Balladeers. I think he got it
directly from Billy Roberts. That's my earliest recollection of the
song. I never played it or sang it myself, IIRC.

I saw Billy Roberts perform it at the Stone (SF) in the late 80s.
He sat in as a guest at a Gene Clark show IIRC ... to date his was
the most rousing version I've ever heard.
J_West

Ray Thomas wrote:
There's a plethora of "miss-heard Hendrix lyrics" around, so much so

that
one site even takes a nod toward Purple Haze ...."excuse me while I

kiss
this guy"
www.kissthisguy.com The site has a lengthy explication of the

origins of
this lyric.

Endless fun for those with limitless time........
Ray

I saw a sketchy punk band on a TV Documentary doing a Purple Haze
version with the line... "'scuse me while I kick this guy" .... and of
course they closed their show with "These Boots Were Made for Stompin"
, so their sentiment was clear.

I liked Johnny Rivers version of "Hey Joe" from his "Realization"
album..... "Hey Joe, where you going with your eyes closed".

A very nice album as a whole, with a beautiful version of "Summer
Rain".

J_West

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I googled and found more than anyone would want to know, all on a
single site. I thought Louie, Louie had a long history:

http://www.heyjoe.org/

Oh, that's not such a long story. Bill Roberts was living in
Washington DC in the early '60s and hung around the coffee houses
there (as did I) singing Hey Joe as well as many other original and
traditional songs. I believe it was in 1962 when I gave him a lift
over to the Library of Congress so that he could register his
copyright to the song.

He claimed it was original, I had no reason to doubt it. People who
make up songs, particularly in the folk idiom, often "steal" songs,
changing words and melodies. He said, she said, but he registered a
copyright before any of the popular versions were recorded, and years
before Hendrix' version.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
rickymix

Is Harvey OK? I hope so. Losing one Pope in a week is enough.

Rick,
I have no immediate plans for shuffling off this mortal coil.
Harvey Gerst.

Well that's good to hear Harvey! Just promise me that whenever you do
decide to go, many, many years from now, that you won't let them
televise the dang funeral! :)
I mean, I liked John Paul, but that was way too much, IMO.
Back on topic, will the next Catholic Pope be named "George Ringo"?
Cheers, Rick.

meandeanmachine

one site even takes a nod toward Purple Haze ...."excuse me while I

kiss
this guy"

Oh I thought it was Scuze me while i KICK this guy!

Even though everyone knows Jimi was on the wild side, I don't think he
was gay. lol

hank alrich

Harvey Gerst wrote:

I have no immediate plans for shuffling off this mortal coil.

Poeticly presented, Popester!

--
ha