William Sommerwerck

Default "Forbidden Planet" score on Morning Edition

Tomorrow's Morning Edition on NPR will have a segment on the electronic score
for "Forbidden Planet" and the husband-and-wife team who created it.

Don Cooper

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Tomorrow's Morning Edition on NPR will have a segment on the electronic score
for "Forbidden Planet" and the husband-and-wife team who created it.

Love Louis and Bebe!
Carey Carlan

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

Tomorrow's Morning Edition on NPR will have a segment on the
electronic score for "Forbidden Planet" and the husband-and-wife team
who created it.

That would be Monday, Feb 7?

William Sommerwerck

Tomorrow's Morning Edition on NPR will have a segment on the electronic
score for "Forbidden Planet" and the husband-and-wife team who created it.

Love Louis and Bebe!

In one of its rare moments of good sense, AMPAS gave them a special award.

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Don Cooper

William Sommerwerck wrote:

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Believe it or not, I've got it.

Believe it or not, I even listen to it occasionally. : )

"Forbidden Planet" is in my top 5.
William Sommerwerck

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Believe it or not, I've got it.
Believe it or not, I even listen to it occasionally. : )
"Forbidden Planet" is in my top 5.

I dug my copy out and listened to most of it. It's remarkable music by any
standards, not even considering how difficult it was to create electronic music
in the mid-'50s.

hank alrich

William Sommerwerck wrote:

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Believe it or not, I've got it.
Believe it or not, I even listen to it occasionally. : )
"Forbidden Planet" is in my top 5.

I dug my copy out and listened to most of it. It's remarkable music by any
standards, not even considering how difficult it was to create electronic
music in the mid-'50s.

That was before the invention of electricty!

--
ha
Who lives where juice showed up in 1962. g
Steve Hehr

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:38:21 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Believe it or not, I've got it.
Believe it or not, I even listen to it occasionally. : )
"Forbidden Planet" is in my top 5.

I dug my copy out and listened to most of it. It's remarkable music by any
standards, not even considering how difficult it was to create electronic music
in the mid-'50s.

I've had the CD for some years -- I and my son both love it; wife
hates it.

Several years ago, in fooling around with some of the computer
programs which came with "The Sound Blaster Book", I found I was able
to use some math functions to produce some sounds which were somewhat
reminiscent of certain of the sounds from "Forbidden Planet". It
occurred to me at the time how really time-consuming and difficult it
must have been in the mid-50's to produce those sounds; I have a
great admiration for what the Barrons achieved.

Is anyone aware of sources of more detailed information on how they
accomplished their work?

I look forward to the Morning Edition segment, though I'll have to
pick it up from their audio archive pages after tomorrow.

--
Steve Hehr

To send me email, replace the "OUT" in my address with its opposite.
Mark Steven Brooks

Believe it or not, I've got it. BRBR

Me too. It's always been one of my favorite movies.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)

Mark Steven Brooks

Several years ago, in fooling around with some of the computer
programs which came with "The Sound Blaster Book", I found I was able
to use some math functions to produce some sounds which were somewhat
reminiscent of certain of the sounds from "Forbidden Planet". It
occurred to me at the time how really time-consuming and difficult it
must have been in the mid-50's to produce those sounds; I have a
great admiration for what the Barrons achieved.

Is anyone aware of sources of more detailed information on how they
accomplished their work?

Yes. Louis B. was interested in cybernetics and what he and Bebe did was to
create little electronic circuits that would feed back on themselves in various
ways and eventually burn out, producing interesting sounds in the process.
They recorded these sounds and then did standard tape manipulation with them
plus reverb.
(Mark Steven Brooks/Elaterium Music)
Glenn Dowdy

"hank alrich" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Believe it or not, I've got it.
Believe it or not, I even listen to it occasionally. : )
"Forbidden Planet" is in my top 5.

I dug my copy out and listened to most of it. It's remarkable music by

any
standards, not even considering how difficult it was to create

electronic
music in the mid-'50s.

That was before the invention of electricty!

What'd they do, rub sheep?

Glenn D.

John L Rice

William Sommerwerck wrote:

By the way, the soundtrack is available on GNP Crescendo.

Believe it or not, I've got it.
Believe it or not, I even listen to it occasionally. : )
"Forbidden Planet" is in my top 5.

I dug my copy out and listened to most of it. It's remarkable music by

any
standards, not even considering how difficult it was to create

electronic
music in the mid-'50s.

That was before the invention of electricty!

What'd they do, rub sheep?

Glenn D.

One of my favorite things to do for sure, but what's that got to do with
making music?

John L Rice