Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dez-Rok

Default TC Finalizer Solid Red Power Light

hi -
my TC Finalizer has been in a rack in my studio and not powered up for
over a year.
worked fine last i used it.
just pressed the power switch and it's got a solid red light behind it
and nothing else happens.
unit wont "power up".
yes, the rear main power switch is on.

any ideas?

thanks -

Dez

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

hi -
my TC Finalizer has been in a rack in my studio and not powered up for
over a year.
worked fine last i used it.
just pressed the power switch and it's got a solid red light behind it
and nothing else happens.
unit wont "power up".
yes, the rear main power switch is on.

But there is no display backlight? Get out the meter and start looking
at power supply voltages.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

On 2006-02-24 20:06:02 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) said:

hi -
my TC Finalizer has been in a rack in my studio and not powered up for
over a year.
worked fine last i used it.
just pressed the power switch and it's got a solid red light behind it
and nothing else happens.
unit wont "power up".
yes, the rear main power switch is on.

But there is no display backlight? Get out the meter and start looking
at power supply voltages.
--scott

thanks Scott.
i would surely do that, but i am at someone elses studio and did not
bring the voltage meter.

thanks again-
Dez

A studio without a voltage meter?

Well without that voltage meter this is hard to fix.

Get one (neighbor?), open the finalizer, check the output of the supply
voltages according to Scott and:

1. if you have no output voltages
-- check fuses
-- if it is a switching power supply you have almost no chance, you could
check the PWM signal out of the timer LM555 or what ever.
-- if it is a linear one, check the AC output of the transformer, check
the voltage regulator 7805,7812,7815 or 7905,7912,7015 right pin is output,
left pin is input, middle is ground.
-- check rectifier
-- check is the mainboard of the finalizer has a shortcut
-- Try to get one or more power supply to supply the mainboard

2. if you have ouput voltages
-- check if they are in the range, if too low, check for shortcut
-- Try to reset the device by hardware (short uP or short EPROMS for a
short time)
-- shake to device (sorry for this)
-- check for bad solder points nearby the powersupply

Hope this helps,

Lukas
Posted to rec.audio.pro
dez-rok

On 2006-02-24 20:06:02 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) said:

hi -
[...]

Lukas -
thanks for taking your time and the very thorough instructions.

- Dez

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

Dez-Rok wrote:

my TC Finalizer has been in a rack in my studio and not powered up
for over a year.
worked fine last i used it.
just pressed the power switch and it's got a solid red light behind
it and nothing else happens.
unit wont "power up".
yes, the rear main power switch is on.

any ideas?

Buck-fiddy sez it's a cap in the power supply.

I base this on nothing other than every time I've left a piece of gear
sitting for a long time then had it fail on power up, the problem has
been a bad cap in the power supply.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Dez-Rok wrote:

just pressed the power switch and it's got a solid red light behind it
and nothing else happens.

Well, at least you have enough of the power supply working to light the
red light. That's a good sign. How much do you know about electronic
troubleshooting? If you don't know enough to check power supply
voltages, you'd best leave it for a qualified repair shop.

I don't know what it is about people that makes them think that they
can fix a complicated electronic device if they don't have any test
equipment, documentation, basic electronic knowledge, or wouldn't know
what they were looking at if they got the case open. I know someone is
going to think this is condescending, but it it doesn't work, it's
broken. Get it fixed,dammit, or put it back on the shelf. I know how it
makes you feel to pay $75 to have someone replace a fifty cent fuse,
but knowing where the fuse is costs $74.50.

(or sell it on eBay, saying in the description "It doesn't power up but
I've been told that this is just a simple problem." )