Bob Cain

killermike wrote:

I'd be in favor of the new group. I'd vote for it and offer what advice
I could. RAP just has too much traffic. This thread is a perfect
example, I doubt that even half of the users of this group are aware of
this discussion as it will have scrolled way off the bottom of the
screen by now.

What I can't undersand, Mike, is why anyone would be using a
reader that isn't threaded and doesn't have the "kill
thread" option. All of the modern ones have this ability.
To refuse to upgrade is similar to refusing to upgrade old
gear that sounds like **** just because you you are familiar
with its operation.

Too much traffic just doesn't mean anything when it is _so_
easy to limit the traffic to the part you want to see using
the facilities currently available. I do it considerably
because there is much in the audio domain that is of no
interest to me. On a thread count rather than message
count, which is what is now relevant, the number of those
new topics compared to the number of OT topics is really
large. I doubt that anyone else, even those who complain,
could say different.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Roger W. Norman

"Romeo Rondeau" wrote in message

"playon" wrote in message
The future control and privatization of the world's water supplies by
large corporations is a given, and is very scary scenario. Wars are
definietly going to be fought over this.

I agree, it's no different from oil.

But the wars will all be fought out over oil way before we have to worry
about water, unless one wants to actually drink potable water without
harmful pollutants. The world will never get to a greater war than one of
the remaining supplies of oil, and I spoke quite succinctly to this during
the "Peak Oil" thread. Once a commodity becomes scarce, such as oil, it no
longer is a commodity, and, as Bush and the Neo-Cons have made deep inroads
towards, one who controls the oil controls everything. It's a simple
concept that was presented in DUNE about controlling the Spice that allowed
inter-stellar travel. I'm sure the concept has been around for a century,
but I don't have the references. However, I'm just as certain that the Bush
administration is trying to be in a position to control the amount of oil
they can while they can. In other words, we're taking control of OUR oil
under THEIR sand.

And our greatest competitor for the oil will be China, who, via North Korea,
apparently isn't adverse to selling nuclear technology in the effort to
diffuse the current situation while becoming mobilized to protect their own
interest in oil. Let's face it, the possibility of global warming is far
off compared to the ability of China to force itself into the modern world
without oil to power their industry. In other words, anyone worried about
global warming is being an optimist in terms of actually surviving before
global warming becomes another extinction event. Sans a methane sulfate
explosion into the atmosphere, raising temperatures from 1 degree C to maybe
20 degrees C depending on the extent of the blow.

****, we could figure it all out and still have the methane sulfate
explosion that would kill off virtually all life within 100 years. Perhaps
we better look at that rather than worry about China or any other country
being as stupid as the USA is right now. Perhaps Bush and his cohorts are
right. But my bet is that only by ignoring the science of the FACT of
global warming, regardless of what is causing it, we WILL be caught with our
pants down. Hell, we're already close to being close to being caught with
our pants down and we haven't even gotten into the real reason GW and his
cadre have begun this process.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

agent86

Roger W. Norman wrote:

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Roger, you're one of only a handful of RAP posters who I respect enough to
try to read most of their posts regardless of topic. Granted, I come here
for audio, & personally, I'd prefer it if there were only audio posts here.
But if we can't have political posts, then we can't have posts about BBQ,
hot sauce, sports, or anything else either. In any event, you're audio
related posts have shown you to be within a stone's throw of the highest
level of knowledge on this group. And even your OT posts tend to be well
thought out & show you to be a person whose opinions are based on some
degree of independent thought as opposed to those among us who base their
philosophy on propiganda, rumor, & inuendo.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is "Don't let the *******s get you
down".

And since we're off topic...

Go Panthers!!!!!

The BEST BBQ sauce is Scott's (not Dorsey) from Goldsboro, NC.
http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

And for a regular hot sauce (when flavor is important), the original
tabasco is hard to beat, but if you want something REALLY HOT, try Gold Cap.

Pete Dimsman

WillStG wrote:

I would suport RAP becoming a moderated newsgroup, as long as the
moderator/s pledged to enforce the Charter in a Fair and Balanced manner.

Your endorsment of such a scheme speaks volumes. "fair and balanced" (..)

After all, if Bush is reelected and Roger moves
to Vietnam (as he has suggested he will), Internet access there is likely so
slow that he will be writing fewer, and *much* shorter posts... g

Did Fox "news" have asshole training, or are you just a natural?

agent86

Roger W. Norman wrote:

The BEST BBQ sauce is Scott's (not Dorsey) from Goldsboro, NC.
http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

Personally, out of the bottle (rather than my own sauce) I like Bone
Sucking Sauce, which can be found at a lot of BBQ sites on the web, but
not much on
a local basis except for North Carolina. The funny thing is it doesn't
taste anything like a normal "Carolina" sauce in that, even though it's a
vinegar based sauce, it's just divine (for a product that isn't mine!
g).

BSS is a bit sweet for my taset, but a lot of folks like it. And, you're
right about it being ubiquitous in NC. It's vinegar based (kind of) except
in comparison with other NC sauces. In these parts, there's a big religous
war between vinegar & red pepper (eastern) vs tomato & molasses (Lexington
style). Personally, even though I was born & lived most of my live within
a short drive of Lexington, I prefer eastern NC BBQ.

1. sugar based sauces scorch if applied to log-cooking meat too early.
2 tomato based sauces scorch if applied to log-cooking meat too early.

With the eastern style sauces, you can mop 'em on right from the get-go.
Scotts has a higher pepper / vinegar ratio than most. If you want it hot,
give it a good shake. If you don't shake so much, most of the pepper stays
on the bottom of the bottle (a waste, if you ask me. Think of all those
starving children in your favorite third world country).

But we're willing to let most any pork product, slow cooked over hardwood
(prefereably hickory) outdoors bear the name "Barbeque". But a beef
brisket with ketchup on it just doesn't qualify. (But I guess in Texas, the
standards are a little bit lower - for a lot of things.)

Bob Cain

WillStG wrote:

Not to interrupt you getting off on thinking you are smarter and more
courageous than the President

Hell, I didn't know there was any debate at all about that.
Do you really believe that ****up you currently plan on
voting for is either smart or brave? Evidence?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Bob Cain

Roger W. Norman wrote:

And our greatest competitor for the oil will be China,

Without any doubt whatsoever and they will play by rules
that will have us utterly flumoxed. The strategy they are
already employing will give them a lever far bigger than
ours in the marketplace and they just won't care about the
battlefield.

We _really_ need to start thinking about what it means to be
a good citizen in this post-modern world. We're acting just
as spoiled and brutish as a nation as Bush did as a man in
his 20's.

****, we could figure it all out and still have the methane sulfate
explosion that would kill off virtually all life within 100 years.

Roger, do you have any good sources on how much of a threat
that is and what we are possibly doing that could affect that?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Roger W. Norman

But a beef brisket with ketchup on it just doesn't qualify. (But I guess in
Texas, the
standards are a little bit lower - for a lot of things.)

Indeed, Texas BBQ can be done right, but you have to be outside of Texas!

Actually, on most slow cooked pork BBQ I like apple or pear chips. Hickory
has always seemed to be more of a brisket smoke to me, but that's the good
thing about cooking. Like audio, it only requires the imagination to try
something.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"agent86" wrote in message
. ..
Roger W. Norman wrote:

[...]

Roger W. Norman

"Bob Cain" wrote in message
Roger, do you have any good sources on how much of a threat
that is and what we are possibly doing that could affect that?

Sources? How about the mass extinction of about 245 million years ago,
which has come down to being a eruption of methane sulfate during a warming
period (way before humans were supposedly doing the warming) and, although
it took a few thousand years because it wasn't enough to cause immediate
extinctions, we're talking about virtually all land based life and 70% of
ocean born life.

A "minor" eruption off the coast of Sweden has been theorized as being the
cause of the end of the last ice age about 12,000 years ago and it was maybe
about 1.2 million cubic feet of methane sulfate, based on the "dimples" in
the ocean's floor.

Specific sources would be difficult to site because it's conjecture
supported by other discipline's data that wasn't originally sought for the
purpose of explaining something like mass extinction events or the reason
for global warming that brought about the end of the ice age. But with, for
instance, the lack of CO2 in the ice caps being a problem for global warming
proponents, it was a windfall for them when oceanic studies produced a major
amount of missing methane sulfate. Studies, btw, that were a product of oil
research. Funny how that goes! g The thing being researched that others
claim is the reason for global warming (gas) runs smack dab into a highly
plausible reason for the last period of major global warming, and, I might
add, most likely the cause of the extinction of the saber toothed tiger and
the wooly mammoth.

For a little reference, one can even look at some of the plausible
explanations for the Bermuda Triangle mystery, which many now attribute to
some minimal methane sulfate explosions, and there are billions of tons of
methane sulfate frozen just off the east coast of the US. Enough to create
an extinction event without the help of man at all, and only the depth of
the deposits in the frigid temperatures keeps it in it's solid state. To me
this is every bit as much of a potential hazard as being hit by a 6 mile
wide asteroid or comet, one or the other of which is "guaranteed" to occur
by scientists.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman wrote:

And our greatest competitor for the oil will be China,

Without any doubt whatsoever and they will play by rules
that will have us utterly flumoxed. The strategy they are
already employing will give them a lever far bigger than
ours in the marketplace and they just won't care about the
battlefield.

We _really_ need to start thinking about what it means to be
a good citizen in this post-modern world. We're acting just
as spoiled and brutish as a nation as Bush did as a man in
his 20's.

****, we could figure it all out and still have the methane sulfate
explosion that would kill off virtually all life within 100 years.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

killermike

Roger W. Norman wrote:
Whether it scrolls off the the threads by now is a matter of how much your
news server devotes to threads. Some may not see it, but most probably
will.

If that were true and the majority of users of this group are aware of
this thread, you will note that only a handful of people have taken an
interest. To get a rec.* group created, you have to have 100 more people
vote yes for it than vote no.

Are you telling me that, if you started this discussion in a new thread
today there wouldn't be far more participation in the discussion? I
would say that yes there would and the reason is because this thread has
become lost in the masses of traffic that this group receives each day.
Hence my point.

I just want to re establish my position on the matter. I'm not really a
regular on RAP. I lurk here on occasion but my main interest in RAP
siphoning off traffic into amh-s. I shouldn't be trying to impose my
ideas of what should happen to the group onto other people. I do think
that the creation of a subgroup for OT discussion would be a good idea.
I think that is reasonable that people might want to discuss general
issues with other members of RAP. I don't think that it should take
place in the main RAP group. If people would like to do this, I'd be
happy to help with advice; I can tell anyone who is interested what is
involved and where to get the information they need. I not willing to
head the project. I'd vote in favor of it.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
np:

Roger W. Norman

Thanks. Something I did not know. And it throws somewhat a damper on the
idea unfortunately. I have the means to put up a server with a webboard,
but I'm really not all that interested in doing so because I simply don't
have the time to adminster it and be a participant. I'm not giving up being
a participant! g

Perhaps we need to look at other alternatives. Got any ideas?
--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"killermike" wrote in message
Roger W. Norman wrote:
[...]

Bob Cain

Roger W. Norman wrote:

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Roger, do you have any good sources on how much of a threat
that is and what we are possibly doing that could affect that?

Sources? How about the mass extinction of about 245 million years ago,
which has come down to being a eruption of methane sulfate during a warming
period (way before humans were supposedly doing the warming) and, although
it took a few thousand years because it wasn't enough to cause immediate
extinctions, we're talking about virtually all land based life and 70% of
ocean born life.

Roger, I wasn't challenging you, I just want to look further
into this and to find out to what degree the global effects
civiliation is having on the planet influence that phenomenon.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Jay Kadis

In article , Bob Cain
wrote:

Roger W. Norman wrote:

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Roger, do you have any good sources on how much of a threat
that is and what we are possibly doing that could affect that?

Sources? How about the mass extinction of about 245 million years ago,
which has come down to being a eruption of methane sulfate during a warming
period (way before humans were supposedly doing the warming) and, although
it took a few thousand years because it wasn't enough to cause immediate
extinctions, we're talking about virtually all land based life and 70% of
ocean born life.

Roger, I wasn't challenging you, I just want to look further
into this and to find out to what degree the global effects
civiliation is having on the planet influence that phenomenon.

Bob

Check out the September 2004 issue of National Geographic.

-Jay
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x

Ty Ford

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:04:12 -0400, George wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
playon wrote:

You could always take the intiative and start rec.audio.pro.uptight...

Al

Ha Ha ha
ty is using off-topic ranting to rant about off topic rants
does anyone else see the irony
no wonder he deserves the killfile
George

Bite me George, you legendary abuser of newsgroup rules. BTW, Play lacks the
cohones to put a real email address up, otherwise I would have responded to
him directly. And off list.

At least Roger has had the honesty to put his stuff on the line. You're too
busy ****ing in everyone else's well to start your own newsgroup where you
can do what you want.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:24:49 -0400, Raglan wrote
(in article ):

These threads are nearly always American-centric.

True, but would you deny that the policies & actions of the President of
the USA have an effect on the rest of the world in this day & age?

Listen, guys, I'm a South African far far away and I find this sort of
OT discussion gives fascinating insight into the minds of Americans,
the Romans in this new age of empire, as it were. I prefer to read it
here because, as a long-time lurker in this group, I know many of you
from your on-topic postings and your lighter remarks. So I have a
sense of your non-political personalities, which gives far better
context than reading the rantings of unknowns in politics-only groups.

And as for those who try so hard to banish OT posts, why don't you
just not read them? Nobody's forcing you.

Raglan

Which is the equivalent of saying, "**** the leash and poop laws. I'm going
to let my dog crap on the footpath, just walk around it."

There's a special place for you in pugatory Rag; cleaning up after millions
of dog owners who don't give a crap about where their dogs crap.

Sincerely,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:12:00 -0400, WillStG wrote
(in article ):

"Stu Venable"
They'll probably ask -- why not instead propose a rec.audio.pro.moderated
newsgroup? With a moderated newsgroup, you'll have something RAP can't: an
enforcement of the charter.

I would suport RAP becoming a moderated newsgroup, as long as the
moderator/s pledged to enforce the Charter in a Fair and Balanced manner.

But considering the traffic here it would be an awfully big commitment

take on, and there would be numbnuts playing hit and run, they'd get banned
and
then use anonymous remailers...

But all this is OT political traffic taking up bandwidth is probably
going
to recede after the election. After all, if Bush is reelected and Roger

moves
to Vietnam (as he has suggested he will), Internet access there is likely so
slow that he will be writing fewer, and *much* shorter posts... g

I don't think so. I think this is actually a reaction to 9/11. People feel
jammed up about the event and somehow have come to the conclusion that a
newsgroup is a good place to dump their ****. They are wrong, btw, but they
still have a lot of unprocessed **** and this newsgroup is the unfortunate
pot they've decided to dump in.

The political issues are just laxatives for the real deal. As has been proven
before many times, "Ugly Americans" are everywhere.

Sincerely,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com