Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush[_2_] Jack Jarmush[_2_] is offline

Default Using a 12v battery as DC for Boss rc3 loop pedal

Hello good audio.pro people,

After frying one Boss rc2 loop pedal by accidently plugging in the
wrong adapter with the wrong polarity (i know) i had to buy a new rc3
loop pedal (200euros). I was using a 12v, 7Ah motorcycle battery to
power the 9v loop pedal via the DC in and using a daisychain to also
power a 9v behringer preamp pedal (both negative polarity). I also had
a positive polarity wire from the battery to power my 12v amp. This
was working fine until last night when the loop pedal stopped working
from the 12v battery, it will work with an internal 9v battery and
with a 9v, 2A power supply plugged into the wall. The 25euro Boss
power supply that is made for the loop pedal with output 9v, 200mA
works also when i tested it in the store but didn't buy it because it
costs 25euros!

This pedal uses up 9v batteries very quickly so that and convenience
is why i want to use the 12v motorcycle battery for outdoor gigs.

Do any of you have an idea why this set up stopped working ?

advise greatly appreciated,
thanks
JJ
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message
[...]

My guess would be the DC connector you have connected to the battery.
Either a connection has come off it or it is the wrong size.
There are several different DC connector sizes, the most common being 2.1mm
and 2.4mm. (the size of the hole in the plug and the pin of the socket).
If you use a 2.4mm plug into a 2.1mm socket it may sometimes connect, but
often will not.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave C Dave C is offline

[...]

Hi Jack,
From your description it seems you have a potential
earthing/common conflict. If you have both negative and positive "earth"
devices connected to the same single rail 12V supply then there is a
possibility of instant short (depending on the internal configuration of the
devices), or generating a short later when things plugged into these
"devices" come into contact during the gig. Hard to advise from afar on the
best course of action, but keeping to your current (sic) solution, a second
battery for the "other" polarity device will probably work.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Mark" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 3:02 pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
[...]

if you have two devices, one that uses negative ground and one that
uses positive ground and you connect the grounds together (as when
when you connect an audio cable from one to the other) and they are
both powered from the same battery....

that equals a SHORT.

think about it.

Mark

I doubt it in this case. The OP says the system was working but suddenly
stopped.
Although the amp seems to use a different "polarity", it will still most
likely have the negative terminal connected to ground. It is just how the
DC socket is wired that is different to the pedals.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush[_2_] Jack Jarmush[_2_] is offline

On Jun 25, 9:02*pm, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
[...]

Gareth.- Hide quoted text -

I don't think it's the connector because it worked before and the
other pedal works with the same connector,

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

Try wiggling it.
And maybe re-read my post.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's the connector because it works on the other pedals
i use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

Jack, as I understand it:
1. The connector works on other pedals therefore it works.
2. An external power supply will power the pedal
3. However the connector will not power the pedal.

The only way this can make sense is what I have described - that the
connector is the wrong size for the pedal.
If the connector has a 2.4mm hole and the pedals socket has a 2.1mm pin, it
is entirely possible that the pin will not make contact with the inside of
the connector. I have seen this happen many times on my bench, which is
why I have a bench power supply ending in a 2.4mm plug, and a 2.4mm socket
to 2.1mm plug converter.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Jack Jarmush wrote:
[...]

Well, 12 Volts is a 33% overvoltage for a nominal 9 Volt circuit, so maybe
you just fried something. I know that I am afraid to use that much
overvoltage on something real expensive, like my camera. I bought a little
module that converts anything between 8 and 18 volts to 12 volts so I can
drive my camera with my auto cigarette lighter. Sometimes it can get over 14
volts when the battery charger cuts in, and I didn't want to smoke a $2000
camera. The little module only cost me $30.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline

wrote:
[...]

I don't think it's the connector because it works with other pedals.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

solved- the plug was gummed up, cleaned and now works again.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

problem solved, there was something stuck in the plug, some plastic
gunk from a bad connector
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

gunk from a bad connector- Hide quoted text -

thanks for the good advise and sorry about my mutiple posts, for some
reason it took 3 days to post ..