Radford Preamp

Old March 4th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jocelyn Major

Default Radford Preamp

Greeting,
I just got my hand on a old Radford SC-242 Preamp. The lady who gave it
to me didn't really take care of it so most of the lettering on the face
plate is erased. I hook it to my Quad 303 amp and after trial and error
I manage to find what button control what. So I listen to some CD and LP
and was simply amazed with the sound. This preamp was design between 30
and 40 years ago. I open it up and it is build like a tank. I would like
to restore it so I need schematic and/or picture of it(So I can redo the
lettering of the face plate). So does anyone have any info on this
Radford SC-242 Preamp?

Thanks!

Jocelyn
Old March 5th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland

"Jocelyn Major" > wrote in message
> Greeting,
> I just got my hand on a old Radford SC-242 Preamp. The lady who gave it to
> me didn't really take care of it so most of the lettering on the face
> plate is erased. I hook it to my Quad 303 amp and after trial and error I
> manage to find what button control what. So I listen to some CD and LP and
> was simply amazed with the sound. This preamp was design between 30 and 40
> years ago. I open it up and it is build like a tank. I would like to
> restore it so I need schematic and/or picture of it(So I can redo the
> lettering of the face plate). So does anyone have any info on this Radford
> SC-242 Preamp?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jocelyn

I have a small photo of the SC-22, but I don't have any info on the SC-242
Control Unit, so have no idea how similar they are. I see, however, that
you can buy a High-Fidelity Magazine review of the SC-242 from 1974 for
$5.00 from

http://www.roger-russell.com/magrevhf.htm

Hope this helps

S.

Old March 6th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jocelyn Major

Serge Auckland a écrit :
> "Jocelyn Major" > wrote in message
>> Greeting,
>> I just got my hand on a old Radford SC-242 Preamp. The lady who gave it to
>> me didn't really take care of it so most of the lettering on the face
>> plate is erased. I hook it to my Quad 303 amp and after trial and error I
>> manage to find what button control what. So I listen to some CD and LP and
>> was simply amazed with the sound. This preamp was design between 30 and 40
>> years ago. I open it up and it is build like a tank. I would like to
>> restore it so I need schematic and/or picture of it(So I can redo the
>> lettering of the face plate). So does anyone have any info on this Radford
>> SC-242 Preamp?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jocelyn

> I have a small photo of the SC-22, but I don't have any info on the SC-242
> Control Unit, so have no idea how similar they are. I see, however, that
> you can buy a High-Fidelity Magazine review of the SC-242 from 1974 for
> $5.00 from
>
> http://www.roger-russell.com/magrevhf.htm
>
> Hope this helps
>
> S.

Thank you for the info about High-Fidelity Magazine. A nice fellow
already send me several picture of the SC-24 (according to someone from
Radford Group it is similar to the SC-242). Now I just have to buy
quality RCA connectors to replace the original one (they are corroded)
and redo the lettering.

Again, Thanks

Jocelyn Major
Son of Leo Major DCM & Bar
Old March 7th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger

"Jocelyn Major" > wrote in message

> Greeting,
> I just got my hand on a old Radford SC-242 Preamp. The
> lady who gave it to me didn't really take care of it so
> most of the lettering on the face plate is erased. I hook
> it to my Quad 303 amp and after trial and error I manage
> to find what button control what. So I listen to some CD
> and LP and was simply amazed with the sound. This preamp
> was design between 30 and 40 years ago. I open it up and
> it is build like a tank. I would like to restore it so I
> need schematic and/or picture of it(So I can redo the
> lettering of the face plate). So does anyone have any
> info on this Radford SC-242 Preamp?

This is about as close as I could find:

http://www.hifimanuals.com/proddetail.php?prod=489

Old March 8th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jocelyn Major

Arny Krueger a écrit :
> "Jocelyn Major" > wrote in message
>
>> Greeting,
>> I just got my hand on a old Radford SC-242 Preamp. The
>> lady who gave it to me didn't really take care of it so
>> most of the lettering on the face plate is erased. I hook
>> it to my Quad 303 amp and after trial and error I manage
>> to find what button control what. So I listen to some CD
>> and LP and was simply amazed with the sound. This preamp
>> was design between 30 and 40 years ago. I open it up and
>> it is build like a tank. I would like to restore it so I
>> need schematic and/or picture of it(So I can redo the
>> lettering of the face plate). So does anyone have any
>> info on this Radford SC-242 Preamp?

> This is about as close as I could find:
>
> http://www.hifimanuals.com/proddetail.php?prod=489

Thank you Arny,

A nice fellow already send me several picture of the on he own.
Again thank you for taking the time to do a search.

Jocelyn Major
Son of Leo Major DCM & Bar
Old April 9th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ray Thomas

"Jocelyn Major" > wrote in message
> Arny Krueger a écrit :
>> "Jocelyn Major" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Greeting,
>>> I just got my hand on a old Radford SC-242 Preamp. The
>>> lady who gave it to me didn't really take care of it so
>>> most of the lettering on the face plate is erased. I hook
>>> it to my Quad 303 amp and after trial and error I manage
>>> to find what button control what. So I listen to some CD
>>> and LP and was simply amazed with the sound. This preamp
>>> was design between 30 and 40 years ago. I open it up and
>>> it is build like a tank. I would like to restore it so I
>>> need schematic and/or picture of it(So I can redo the
>>> lettering of the face plate). So does anyone have any
>>> info on this Radford SC-242 Preamp?

>> This is about as close as I could find:
>>
>> http://www.hifimanuals.com/proddetail.php?prod=489
>>

> Thank you Arny,
>
> A nice fellow already send me several picture of the on he own.
> Again thank you for taking the time to do a search.
>
> Jocelyn Major
> Son of Leo Major DCM & Bar

try: they are very helpful

Daisy chaining preamp channels? H. Khalil Pro Audio 19 September 29th 06 06:32 AM
amp or preamp? west Vacuum Tubes 11 September 6th 06 02:26 PM
phono preamp volume qwerty High End Audio 1 December 8th 04 12:35 AM