Posted to rec.audio.tech
CAINE CAINE is offline

Default interesting JVC speakers-what vintage ?

http://i7.tinypic.com/24o4tbl.jpg

I recently ran across these at an acquaintance's home- he was moving
and had these stored there, and didn't have the space at his new
apartment for them. I ended up getting these speakers and a huge
Kenwood amp for $50 lot price.

Does anyone know what vintage they are ? They have a JVC logo on them.

They have one large 12" woofer, 2 mids, 2 tweeters, and one tiny piezo
tweeter- also (2) adjustable crossovers for mid and high, and (2) bass
ports.

I gave them a good 3 hour test run last weekend- imaging with my SEP
tube amp was amazing.

Are they worth anything ? They also have removeable front grills with
wooden lattice design.

thanks in advance !

Posted to rec.audio.tech
duty-honor-country duty-honor-country is offline

CAINE wrote:
http://i7.tinypic.com/24o4tbl.jpg

I recently ran across these at an acquaintance's home- he was moving
and had these stored there, and didn't have the space at his new
apartment for them. I ended up getting these speakers and a huge
Kenwood amp for $50 lot price.

Does anyone know what vintage they are ? They have a JVC logo on them.

They have one large 12" woofer, 2 mids, 2 tweeters, and one tiny piezo
tweeter- also (2) adjustable crossovers for mid and high, and (2) bass
ports.

I gave them a good 3 hour test run last weekend- imaging with my SEP
tube amp was amazing.

Are they worth anything ? They also have removeable front grills with
wooden lattice design.

thanks in advance !

I guess it pays not to listen to people who have no life on Usenet.

CORRECTION- THAT IS A 2" RADIAL HORN SUPER TWEETER

http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Speakers.htm

I found a set for sale online

VINTAGE
JVC
SK-12 SK12
SPEAKERS
Circa 1982 - 84
Made in Japan
FOR SALE
Great sounding pair of JVC, SK-12 Hi-Fi speakers. The symmetrical
design offers a wide dispersion of sound in your small to medium rooms.
Neither a large nor a small speaker, this pair is a nice addition to
any medium home stereo system.
Features includes:

- 4-Way, 6 driver design
- 2" 360° Radial horn, super tweeter
- Dual 2.5" Tweeter
-Dual 4.5" Mid-ranges
- 10" woofer with non-deteriorating cloth surround
- High Range Control to adjust brightness and depth of the over-all
sound
- 2.25" tuned port to extend bass even further than the woofer already
produces
- "Real" internal cross-over with Hi and Mid Frequency attenuation
controls

Specs
- Frequency Response = 25-22,000 Hz
- Cross-over frequencies at 1000Hz, 5000Hz, and 10,000Hz
- 8 O
- 80 watts

These speakers produce "Deep" bass and are rated at 80 watts. VERY
efficient so they are very LOUD, punchy and accurate! Cabinet finish is
Walnut grain, vinyl wrapped and sports the expected range of normal
scuffing for their age. The grills have suffered a little more over the
years but have been touched up and thoroughly cleaned to bring them to
the best condition practical (see above photos). All drivers work and
sound fine! Tested for all frequencies with a sweep generator. We also
cleaned the attenuators for decent performance. You won't be
disappointed. Each cabinet measures 24"h x 16"w x 11.5"d and weigh 35
lbs each unpacked Includes our standard 30 day limited warranty (
excluding problems due to under / over powering).
JVC SK-12
Cond. 8.5 (less grill issues)
$229. Pair.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "duty-honor-country" wrote:

CAINE wrote:
[...]

Wide symetrical design provides problems with horizontal fields.
If you keep you head stationary its not too bad.

greg

- 4-Way, 6 driver design
- 2" 360=B0 Radial horn, super tweeter
- Dual 2.5" Tweeter
-Dual 4.5" Mid-ranges
- 10" woofer with non-deteriorating cloth surround
- High Range Control to adjust brightness and depth of the over-all
sound
- 2.25" tuned port to extend bass even further than the woofer already
produces
- "Real" internal cross-over with Hi and Mid Frequency attenuation
controls

Specs
- Frequency Response =3D 25-22,000 Hz
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

CAINE wrote:
[...]

agreed- have to stay in the sweet spot

actually these are SK-15 models- the SK-12 has smaller woofers

found a pair of SK-15's on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-SK-15A-II-Vi...QQcmdZViewItem

DarrelOdgers DarrelOdgers is offline
Junior Member

Hi, Caine;
I purchased my pair in 1977/78, new. For the record, I paid nearly $800.00 AUD for mine, whch is enough now but was even more back then. Also I thought the base driver was a 14". I also have two pairs of the SX-5. These are a three way large bookshelf type and finished in a lovely light white spruce woodwork.
I find things are worth either what you can sell them for, or what you are willing to pay; certainly what you paid sounds good, if you like them.

Darrel Odgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAINE View Post
http://i7.tinypic.com/24o4tbl.jpg

I recently ran across these at an acquaintance's home- he was moving
and had these stored there, and didn't have the space at his new
apartment for them. I ended up getting these speakers and a huge
Kenwood amp for $50 lot price.

Does anyone know what vintage they are ? They have a JVC logo on them.

They have one large 12" woofer, 2 mids, 2 tweeters, and one tiny piezo
tweeter- also (2) adjustable crossovers for mid and high, and (2) bass
ports.
a lot