Roy Culley

begin risky.vbs
,
Tim Smith writes:
In article ,
Dana wrote:
So what does it do?
All I could see was an attachment, which I assumed was a virus so I didn't
download it.

There was no attachment. When Outlook Express sees a line that looks
like this (except I'll change spaces to underscores so as to not trigger
this for you):

begin__something_more_stuff

it *guesses* that it is the start of a uuencoded attachment of a file
named "something", and tries to interpret the rest of the file, down to
whatever the marker is that marks the end of uuencoded attachments (I
forget what that is), as the attachment.

'end' on a line by itsel.

So, basically, if an email message or usenet post contains a line that
starts with the word "begin" followed by two spaces, OE will tell you
there is an attachment.

Microsoft knows about this, and they even have a Knowledgebase
article discussing it, which offers the wonderful advice that you
should ask people not to start lines with "begin ". It took them
longer to write that article than it would have taken any programmer
who has advanced past the beginner stage to make the uuencode
detection more robust and fix this problem. They should just fix
this stupid bug.

What is worse, the bug uused to affect Outlook as well. MS fixed it in
Outlook but not OE. I wonder why that is?
Unruh

Ralph writes:

Dana wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:23:51 +0000, Peter Jensen wrote:

IMHO, not fixing such a trivial bug for so extremely long is nothing
short of showing contempt for their customers.

This bug, in connection with another bug that has since been fixed,
actually allowed any properly formatted Usenet message to crash OE when
you clicked on it. It's therefore not as harmless as it might seem at
first glance.

Ok, ic, but still what is the purpose of exploiting some bug in software
on purpose? What useful purpose does it serve?
These are discussion groups and I was under the impression the basic
concept was to discuss things, not screw up other persons news programs?
I have never seen this type of thing before so I am ignorant.
Is this a Linux thing, IOW some way for Linux users to exploit Windows
software?
The entire thing seems very silly to me.

There is nothing wrong with what they are doing. The format should not cause
any problems what so ever with ANYONE. We have a number of wintrolls in

However those doing it know that it DOES cause problems. In fact the
reason they do it is precisely because they know it does cause problems.

That is childish behaviour, which does not harm the cause of the bug,
namely MS, in any way. It harms both the receiver of the message and the
relationship between the sender and the receiver. It is like some kid,
knowing his sister is afraid of spiders, constantly giving her spiders.
What would your reaction be to a grown up doing that?

this group claiming how great windows is. But how can they claim that
windows is so great when such a simple, silly, stupid bug goes unfixed for
YEARS? It is just an easy way of reminding the wintrolls what crappy bug
fix support they get from MS.

Noah Roberts

On 2005-06-05, Noah Roberts wrote:

having source code means you're kept safe!

Not unless you are actively looking at all the code you install and are
a secure programming expert. I don't, and I am not.

But the trick is that you can. Sure, right now it doesn't matter (from
your perspective).

But, what happens when a project is canceled (take i.e. Win95 which
would be ideal for some lousy embedded touch screen device)? Nobody's
developing it and there are no bug patches anymore and you need/like
this piece of software.

What do you do? Get the source and hack it. Soon you find people that
thinks like you and need/like the sw. And the life goes on... No hair
pulling, swearing, cursing...

Yes, that is one of the many OTHER benefits of OSS. We actually depend
on such a program called NetReg. Version 1 hasn't seen any active
development in years and version 2 seems like it may have halted as
well. So the colleges that use it swap information and tricks. I doubt
any single install looks remotely similar.

Take Linux Audio for instance as a great example of the many OTHER
benefits of OSS. Linus didn't really seem to get the necessity for the
low-latency stuff at first. The audio community simply continued
because they where able to modify the kernel and provide the tools for
any user to do so. Without this Linux would never have become a useful
audio tool or at least not as useful a one.
Bob Cain

Ralph wrote:

There is nothing wrong with what they are doing. The format should not cause
any problems what so ever with ANYONE. We have a number of wintrolls in
this group claiming how great windows is. But how can they claim that
windows is so great when such a simple, silly, stupid bug goes unfixed for
YEARS? It is just an easy way of reminding the wintrolls what crappy bug
fix support they get from MS.

You are _really_ missing the point. Damned few of us,
especially those who have suffered with its incredibly slow
evolution, claim that there is anything particularly great
about Win other than that its current usability for those
who don't give a rats ass about operating systems, and that
is unarguably superior to Linux.

The real point in the audio groups is that there is a
plethora of applications, some mission critical, and
application helpers for the Win platform which Linux will
never even _begin_ to approach other than via emulation
should that ever mature to be complete (yes, drivers too)
and adequately performing.

Showing that there is one application (Ardour) and one
helper (Jack) that can compete with good Win apps is not
enough to win anyone's heart who is about music production
rather than experimental systems.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Tim Smith

Alexander Skwar wrote:
Yep. Peter didn't "screw up" your program. Peter wrote perfectly
normal text that your program has chosen to interpret, although
it's quite clear, that the interpretation is wrong.

No, Peter did not write perfectly normal text. It is not normal to
start a line with "begin ".

--
--Tim Smith

Peter T. Breuer

In alt.os.linux Tim Smith wrote:
In article ,
Alexander Skwar wrote:
Yep. Peter didn't "screw up" your program. Peter wrote perfectly
normal text that your program has chosen to interpret, although
it's quite clear, that the interpretation is wrong.

No, Peter did not write perfectly normal text. It is not normal to
start a line with "begin ".

Most of the lines I write eventually just by chance
begin with
whatever you could imagine they begin with, and then
end
however they like to end.

This not haiku.

Peter
Lorin David Schultz

"Noah Roberts" wrote:

You can get ghostscript for Windows and I believe there is a way to
set it up to do what the Adobe printer thingy does.

If you can set up Ghostscript to do ANYTHING under Windows, you're doing
better than I did.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Jackson Pyle wrote:

"I've been following these Linux threads with some interest because I
personally feel that Linux is going to, at some point, overtake
Microsoft and I also believe that it will be a Linux/Apple world with
Microsoft a way distant 3rd."

If that should happen, then what happens to Windows now, (all the
hacking and viruses) will happen to Linux. The reason they aren't
problems for Lionux and Apple now is because so few people use them in
comparison.

YouCanToo

MS-Office does not have this ability. I don't see that happening
anytime down the road either. Doing so would be damaging to the
relationship they have with Adobe.

On Windows PDF export works at the printer driver level. You get (buy)
a special printer driver from Adobe and "print" to a PDF file. This way
any and all applications can generate PDF files. There are also a
number of free PDF print-drivers available as well. (I never use them
though... I just email .doc files.)

Linux can "print" to a PDF file also, but there is no need to have to
*BUY* a special this or that to make it happen

Linux can "print" to a PDF file also, but there is no need to have to *BUY* a special this or that to make it happen

That's what I clearly acknowledged. But to be clear... Linux is a
kernel. It does not print or create PDF files. The applications that
run on Linux do.

LQualig - posting from this account.

Dr. Jennings

"YouCanToo" wrote:

[ deleted ]

Just relax, Matthew.

My assistants will be their soon with happiness for
you in a needle.

Please do not fight them this time.

Dr. Jennings

Mike

Yo Mike,

Not *everyone* uses M$ Office - the OpenOffice users for example.

Absolutes like "everyone" and "never" are easy to shoot down... like
you just did. But the majority of people out there do use MS Office.
Not everyone, but most people do.

That still leave a very large number who don't. They do, usually, have the
ability to read M$ files though.

Furthermore, if someone sends me a M$ office file, I can read it with OpenOffice but they can't use M$ office to read an OpenOffice file.

This is the reality of how it must be done. Being the underdog trying
to unseat the king, OpenOffice must be able to read MS Office files.

Maybe it's just more versatile. By using M$ Office, you limit yourself to
only being able to read M$ Office files, I'd rather not limit my abilities
that way.

Not being able to read .doc files would be a huge hurdle for OO users
simply because of how common .doc (and .xls...) files are. MS-Office
had to do the same thing when it was trying to establish itself. It had
to read WordPerfect documents and Lotus-123 Spreadsheets. Similarly
neither WordPerfect nor 123 could read MS-Office files at that time.

Refusing to recognize other file types is just arrogance. If (or, more
likely, when) OpenOffice becomes the dominant office suite, I doubt the
ability to read other file types will be removed.

Does M$ office allow you to export documents as PDF file? OpenOffice does.

MS-Office does not have this ability. I don't see that happening
anytime down the road either. Doing so would be damaging to the
relationship they have with Adobe.

On Windows PDF export works at the printer driver level. You get (buy)
a special printer driver from Adobe and "print" to a PDF file. This way
any and all applications can generate PDF files. There are also a
number of free PDF print-drivers available as well. (I never use them
though... I just email .doc files.)

I know. PDFCreator is one of the free "virtual printers" to create PDF files
- see
http://sector7g.wurzel6.de/pdfcreator/index_en.htm

I've heard that .doc files can be infected with viruses (can anyone confirm
this?) and I know that some people are very wary of opening them on a
Windoze machine. AFAIK, PDF files are safe.

--
Mike

I've heard that .doc files can be infected with viruses
(can anyone confirm this?) and I know that some
people are very wary of opening them on a
Windoze machine.

True. The virus comes in the form of an embedded macro that can
basically do anything it wants. MSWord/Excel/etc. can all be fully
automated through the built in "basic-like" language. You can do some
really neat things with this which was the intent. But some of the
"really neat" things can also include really-hideous viruses so opening
Word documents from strangers is not recommended.

AFAIK, PDF files are safe.

I'm not aware of problems with PDF files.

This is the reality of how it must be done. Being the underdog trying
to unseat the king, OpenOffice must be able to read MS Office files.

Maybe it's just more versatile. By using M$ Office, you limit yourself
to only being able to read M$ Office files, I'd rather not limit my abilities
that way.

It can also read Wordperfect files (all versions), Wordstar, RTF, etc.
Not just *.doc files. It appears to be versatile enough for the few
hundred million people who use it.

LQualig - posting from this account.

Noah Roberts

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
"Noah Roberts" wrote:

You can get ghostscript for Windows and I believe there is a way to
set it up to do what the Adobe printer thingy does.

If you can set up Ghostscript to do ANYTHING under Windows, you're doing
better than I did.

There is a nice little installer. I didn't have any trouble frankly but
this was a long time ago. I just used it to view and print PS files.

The whole point being made was that *YOU* don't have to pay extra for an application to print to a pdf file using Linux.

I understand especially since this is exactly what I said in my
original post.

(Mike) Does M$ office allow you to export documents as PDF file?
OpenOffice does.
(Me) MS-Office does not have this ability. I don't see that happening
anytime down the road either.

I quoted Mikes post where he said that OO can export a PDF file. I
answered that MS-Office can't do this. Do I need to repeat what it is
that MS-Office can't do? I just assumed that readers here would figure
out that I was referring to exporting PDF files.

I never claimed or implied otherwise so what's the confusion here?

LQualig - posting from this account.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

In .com, on
06/04/2005
at 02:20 PM, said:

What I fail to understand however, is why Linux users seem to be so
nasty, obscene and self righteous.

Before spending a lot of time trying to figure out why, try investing
a little time to figure out whether.

Some of the comments made to the
fine folks in rec.audio.pro are just uncalled for.

Perhaps. Which did you have in mind, and why do you believe that they
referred to the entire readership of RAP?

You people seem to strut your operating system all over the place

No. Typically a wintroll crossposts an attack to multiple news groups
and Linux advocates respond. Unless you've examined the original
articles in the threads you're concerned with, your claim is just
fantasy. Even if you examine them, you still can only rationally reach
that conclusion about the specific people who initiated the threads.
Finally, I note that you posted your screed to Newsgroups:
rec.audio.pro, comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.misc,
alt.os.linux, of which only the first two are relevant; PKB.

yet when you are called to produce any kind of proof,

Who is "you"? You're cooking up a huge pot of theory out of just a few
data. How many Linux users post to Usenet? Of those, how many exhibit
the behavior that you allege?

you go scurrying about calling people trolls,

Quite often the people so accused *ARE* trolls; google[1] is your
friend.

It seems that the Linux ehthusiast's bag of tricks is stuffed to the
brim with various techniques designed to deflect the shrapnel that
flies your way.

It seems that you have your own agenda and are bigoted. Perhaps
someone called you a troll. Perhaps they were correct.

That's all well and good, but to put it simply it just makes most of
you

Who is "you"?

To blame a large group of people for the actions of a few is to say
more about yourself than about those you accuse, and to reduce the
credibility of your claims about the few.

However, the Linux enthusiasts had better start learning how to deal
with laypeople who are not programmers, but may be experts in THEIR
chosen field.

Why? They will use Linux if it suits their needs; if not, not. The
Linux enthusiasts will in some cases help those who wish to
investigate whether Linux suits their needs. Some may be more helpful
than others, or may be helpful to different people. To expect them to
be identical is infantile.

(OpenOffice for example, nice program but everyone on earth is using
Micorsoft Office).

Nu, so where do I live? I don't use that FPOS.

If I can leave the Linux people with one parting thought, it is to
stop acting so dammed arrogant

ROTF,LMAO! Sorry, tonto, but it is you who are arrogant, presuming to
judge the actions of a few based on a small sample, most of which you
didn't understand anyway.

and start realizing that not everyone is a geek

Is that how su madre taught you to refer to those who know more than
you, penedjo?

whose life revolves around an operating system that few outside of
the Linux world even know about.

What century are you living in?

When you post in groups that have nothing to do with Linux, please
leave your arrogance at the door.

PKB.

Thank you for your consideration.

If you wanted consideration then you should have checked your bigotry
at the door.

[1] But not the google beta software :-(

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT http://patriot.net/~shmuel

reply to

JEDIDIAH

On 2005-06-05, SSJVCmag wrote:
OK kiddies, I'll assume that you're as conversant with email posting to
newsgroups as Linux and so you DO know how not only to kill the crosspost
headers but CHANGE the subject header for discussion of LINUX stuff that

Except the post wasn't about "LINUX stuff".

These tools are cross platform and could even be relevant to
some crufty old holdout still running Cubase on a Falcon.

really doesn't need to be floated over in other non-linux NGs.
It's quick! It's easy! do it Now!
Thanks!

On 6/4/05 10:17 PM, in article , "Noah
Roberts" wrote:

On Windows PDF export works at the printer driver level.

--
The best OS in the world is ultimately useless |||
if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates. / | \

Logan Shaw

Mike wrote:

Not *everyone* uses M$ Office - the OpenOffice users for example.
Furthermore, if someone sends me a M$ office file, I can read it with
OpenOffice but they can't use M$ office to read an OpenOffice file.
Does M$ office allow you to export documents as PDF file? OpenOffice does.

MS Office does allow you to create PDFs if you run it on a Mac, because on
a Mac, all applications that support printing can automatically create PDFs.
(It's not that different a task, so this sort of makes sense, after all.)

- Logan

In comp.os.linux.misc Logan Shaw wrote:
: Mike wrote:

: Not *everyone* uses M$ Office - the OpenOffice users for example.
: Furthermore, if someone sends me a M$ office file, I can read it with
: OpenOffice but they can't use M$ office to read an OpenOffice file.
: Does M$ office allow you to export documents as PDF file? OpenOffice does.

: MS Office does allow you to create PDFs if you run it on a Mac, because on
: a Mac, all applications that support printing can automatically create PDFs.
: (It's not that different a task, so this sort of makes sense, after all.)

Any application running on Windows can create PDF's. ( well any one
that can print at least!).

But this is a Linux group- so who cares?

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com

On WinDOS you have to find, install, configure & debug
some 3rd party application (which probably cost extra money).

What part of installing what is effectively a 'Printer Driver' do you
find so terribly difficult?

In comp.os.linux.misc JEDIDIAH wrote:
: Any application running on Windows can create PDF's. ( well any one
: that can print at least!).

: Not with what comes off of the Windows CDs.

So nothing that doesn't come with a specific distribution is of any value?

: Anyone that is interested in sharing information, since you can
: easily format your data so that it is friendly to anyone when running on
: Mac or Linux.

On ANY platform that would be

ASCII unless you really need something fancier
then HTML unless you really need controlled formatting
then PDF if you really need it, right?

: On WinDOS you have to find, install, configure & debug some 3rd
: party application (which probably cost extra money).

Ooo. You actually have to find and download something!

Obviously that would never be needed in the Linux world.

If you are really concerned why not create a FREE open source PDF writer
and advertise it widely so that many/most windows users have it?

Stan

--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com
Bob Cain

JEDIDIAH wrote:

On WinDOS you have to find, install, configure & debug some 3rd
party application (which probably cost extra money).

It's called pdfFactory from FinePrint:

http://fineprint.com/

Install it and it appears as a printer device. Print to it
and you are asked for the name of the file and given preview
options. Been using it for years. Install it and forget it
until you print.

Yep, $49.95.

The function is free on Linux because everything is free on
Linux (except your time.) :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Noah Roberts

Bob Cain wrote:

The function is free on Linux because everything is free on Linux
(except your time.) :-)

Time is never free, but in Linux at least you don't have to spend a lot
of it.

On 2005-06-09, wrote:

On WinDOS you have to find, install, configure & debug
some 3rd party application (which probably cost extra money).

What part of installing what is effectively a 'Printer Driver' do you
find so terribly difficult?

The "find" part would probably overwhelm the average user, assuming
they would have any clue to ask. Given how Microsoft tends to treat the end
user, it is unlikely that this is something that would occur to them.

The "install" & "configure" part also might throw the typical Win
user for a loop since they probably don't think of printer output as something
that you can just put in a file then do something useful with.

If you really knew what you were talking about, you would have a
more detailed description of the process. Except you don't.

You download the pdfFactory installer and, double click on
it and say "yes" to the license agreement. You do have to
reboot to use it though but it does tell you that. This is
probably the simplest app I've ever installed and used. A
really poor example of any Win difficulties.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

I think this is just one of many problems starting out with Windows. Another
is Unzipping files. I have to load an application for that too. What about
creating MP3 files or burning CDs? Another application, right?

I wouldn't mind Windows so much if these *basic* applications were included.
But the problem is I have to spend both time *and* money to get them on my
machine. And everyone has a different configuration, so I'd better back mine
up once I've set up the machine!

Richard

Wrote an open letter to Linux enthusiasts.

Which begs the question: Does he believe that all 14 of them read this
NG?

NOt that I have anything against Linux, I'll probaboly get a Linux
machine for my 11 year old son, then he'll have expierience on all 3
systems currently in use, PC's Mac's and Lindows.

But the rancor over this stuff is pretty lame IMO.
Windows and MS have made the world a different place because of
personal computers.

There is no doubt that things are different, more people are working
and more money is made because of PC's. It doesn't matter if you like
one over another. The leader no matter who it is at any given moment
is going to be a target. Something really sick in some people that
makes them feel it's OK to to take potshots at people who have achieved
something.

Some might call it hatred of the good for being good.

YMMV