Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

Old May 16th 19, 12:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_]

Default Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
explain the difference?
Old May 16th 19, 01:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 16/05/2019 12:09, mcp6453 wrote:
> I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
> non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
> explain the difference?

Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
(or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
number of seats in each car or bus.

Not perfect,but probably close enough.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old May 16th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 > wrote:
>I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
>non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
>explain the difference?

Sample rate is an indication of bandwidth (it is twice the bandwidth).
Word length is an indication of dynamic range (each bit doubles the range).
For uncompressed data, bit rate is the sample rate times the word rate
times the number of channels.

Once you start talking about compressed audio, all bets are off.

But literally, bit rate is how much data you can fit through the hose.
Old May 16th 19, 03:08 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
> Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
> point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
> (or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
> number of seats in each car or bus.
>
> Not perfect,but probably close enough.
>
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

NIce one, John!

And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.
Old May 16th 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_]

mcp6453 > wrote:
> I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
> non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
> explain the difference?

Sample rate is how often you look at the waveform to update your
measurements of it. Bit rate is how much information you’re sending, and it
is a combination of sample rate (how often you measure it), sample depth
(how accurately you measure it) and compression ratio (how much information
you’re willing to throw away).

Old May 16th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 16/05/2019 15:08, Ty Ford wrote:
> On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
>> Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
>> point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
>> (or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
>> number of seats in each car or bus.
>>
>> Not perfect,but probably close enough.
>>
>> --
>> Tciao for Now!
>>
>> John.

> NIce one, John!
>
> And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.

Lots of empty seats in the buses?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old May 16th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/05/2019 2:08 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
> On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
>> Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
>> point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
>> (or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
>> number of seats in each car or bus.
>>
>> Not perfect,but probably close enough.
>>
>> --
>> Tciao for Now!
>>
>> John.

> NIce one, John!
>
> And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.

Or the very best of vinyl into 44k1/16 for that matter.

Old May 16th 19, 10:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/05/2019 8:30 AM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 16/05/2019 15:08, Ty Ford wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
>>> Bit rate is the total number of* people in cars (Or buses) passing a
>>> point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
>>> (or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
>>> number of seats in each car or bus.
>>>
>>> Not perfect,but probably close enough.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tciao for Now!
>>>
>>> John.

>> NIce one, John!
>>
>> And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost
>> information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz
>> (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette
>> audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.
>>

> Lots of empty seats in the buses?

Hopefully, otherwise how would you represent the zeros in a binary word.

Old May 16th 19, 10:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/05/2019 11:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
> I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
> non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
> explain the difference?

Sample-rate is a solid figure based on double the highest frequency to
be sampled.

Bit-rate in linear systems (LPCM) is the sample rate multiplied by the
bit depth.

In non-linear systems the bit rate is the rate of digital data being
delivered, however this has no relationship to that of LPCM other that
lower bit rates equate to lower fidelity.... the exception being where
lossless data compression has been applied, which although being a
bit-rate lower than the equivalent spec LPCM, should have bit-identical
output.

Old May 17th 19, 04:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson: "sample depth"..??

First time I ever head of that. Are you sure you
didn't mean BIT depth? Even my cats know what
that is lol!