Andrew Jute KISS 194

Old July 18th 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

Default Andrew Jute KISS 194

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:39:34 AM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:44:23 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 12:40:50 AM UTC+1, wrote:
> > > I'm interested in this speaker. Anyone has built one and has the plan to share with me.
> > >
> > > http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20T91HWAF3.jpg
> > >
> > > Many thanks!

> > Plans are available from Lowther. Ask for the Fidelio Bicor plans. You need to be an expert woodworker to cut your own wood. Check the many angles.. Your best bet is to buy the wood pre-sawn. I got mine from Audio Technik in Germany. There is more about the development of this loudspeaker at
> > http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...dre%20Jute.htm
> >
> > You can ignore the resident "instant experts". They can't even recognize a basic Lowther Fidelio design intended for Lowther PM6A drivers, but they know what it will sound like! Such ignorant arrogance casts doubt on everything else they say.
> >
> > It's a grand speaker with a grand sound when matched to a suitable amplifier.
> >
> > Andre Jute
> > There are those who do, and those who pose on the net

> Show us some performance curves.

Thought not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old July 20th 16, 08:05 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 07/17/16 18:09, Peter Wieck so wittily quipped:
> On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:39:34 AM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:

>>> Plans are available from Lowther. Ask for the Fidelio Bicor plans. You need to be an expert woodworker to cut your own wood. Check the many angles. Your best bet is to buy the wood pre-sawn. I got mine from Audio Technik in Germany. There is more about the development of this loudspeaker at
>>> http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...dre%20Jute.htm
>>>
>>> You can ignore the resident "instant experts". They can't even recognize a basic Lowther Fidelio design intended for Lowther PM6A drivers, but they know what it will sound like! Such ignorant arrogance casts doubt on everything else they say.
>>>
>>> It's a grand speaker with a grand sound when matched to a suitable amplifier.
>>>
>>> Andre Jute
>>> There are those who do, and those who pose on the net

>> Show us some performance curves.

> Thought not.

yeah it's actually difficult to get some real performance curves. You
need an anechoic chamber and a calibrated microphone/signal
generator/amplifier combination with the ability to record the results
and chart it.

Old July 20th 16, 10:41 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 3:04:43 PM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:

> yeah it's actually difficult to get some real performance curves. You
> need an anechoic chamber and a calibrated microphone/signal
> generator/amplifier combination with the ability to record the results
> and chart it.

If Lowther (or any other similar manufacturer) thought such curves could sell drivers, they would be available in intricate detail, and in every possible configuration. As it stands, there are a goodly amount of published curves out there on these drivers - conveniently truncated from 900 Hz to 10,000 Hz. There is nothing wrong with a speaker that is so-limited *AS LONG AS* the builder understands what he/she will be getting fully and completely. Were I to be restricted to listening only to Gregorian Chant, and were permitted only a 3-watt amplifier, I suspect I would be first in line for such systems. However. I am blessed not to be so-limited.

I was simply hoping that Andre, after his ringing endorsement of these speakers had the wherewithal to back his claims. But, no such luck.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old July 25th 16, 09:49 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 07/20/16 14:41, Peter Wieck so wittily quipped:
> I was simply hoping that Andre, after his ringing endorsement of these speakers had the wherewithal to back his claims. But, no such luck.

I totally get that, yeah. without actual performance data [that is
confirmable] it's all subjective.

[I hate 'subjective' - all touchy-feely and nauseatingly so]

seriously, though, not much has changed since THIS was first published:

https://www.amazon.com/speaker-enclo.../dp/B0006BOY46

[I have a copy somewhere; can't seem to locate it though]