1/2 12BH7??

Old February 2nd 16, 11:37 AM
John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

probably - it's something I'd want to do [again].

looking for output transformers, ran across THIS one.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/P-T125A

it's a 3W somewhat-universal output transformer [push pull] with a
complicated secondary winding that lets you configure the primary Z,
apparently.

My guess is that it would make an interesting TRIODE OUTPUT STAGE using
the 12BH7 and this transformer.

Look at the price, you will change your mind. The Hammond 125 PP Series is no longer a good choice for low cost audio. A while ago I had a look at the 125D pricing. From the 1960 catalogue to the present the price increased by 5.3% per annum. Wish I could get that kind of return over 55 years!

Over time I used many of the Hammond 125 Series in various projects. The performance was always more than passable. Anyone who has read my articles in AudioXpress & Glass Audio will see quite a few of them.

I knew several of the guys at Hammond over a period of 55+ years, both as a supplier & then as a customer while at HP & R&S.

Cheers, John L Stewart

bass response isn't ideal, perhaps, but it might work well as a small
P.A. or "distortion" guitar amp where you want to create a really nice
overdrive sound, but at a relatively low output power...[/quote]
Old February 2nd 16, 12:37 PM
John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

FYI- Doug Hammond already did it for you!! JLS
Attached Images

Old February 2nd 16, 01:34 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

Default 1/2 12BH7??

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 7:37:13 AM UTC-5, John L Stewart wrote:
> probably - it's something I'd want to do [again].
>
> looking for output transformers, ran across THIS one.
>
> https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/P-T125A
>
> it's a 3W somewhat-universal output transformer [push pull] with a
> complicated secondary winding that lets you configure the primary Z,
> apparently.
>
> My guess is that it would make an interesting TRIODE OUTPUT STAGE using
> the 12BH7 and this transformer.

> Look at the price, you will change your mind. The Hammond 125 PP Series
> is no longer a good choice for low cost audio. A while ago I had a look
> at the 125D pricing. From the 1960 catalogue to the present the price
> increased by 5.3% per annum. Wish I could get that kind of return over
> 55 years!
>
> Over time I used many of the Hammond 125 Series in various projects. The
> performance was always more than passable. Anyone who has read my
> articles in AudioXpress & Glass Audio will see quite a few of them.
>
> I knew several of the guys at Hammond over a period of 55+ years, both
> as a supplier & then as a customer while at HP & R&S.
>
> Cheers, John L Stewart

> bass response isn't ideal, perhaps, but it might work well as a small
> P.A. or "distortion" guitar amp where you want to create a really nice
> overdrive sound, but at a relatively low output power...
>

> --
> John L Stewart

Apart from all that, there is not an audio speaker in my inventory that would survive on 3W unless it were played in a closet. I KNOW that BBB postulated an instrument application, but I pretty much focus either on audio applications, or vintage radio applications - and for the latter, such as my Hallicrafters with 6V6 outputs in PP, this may be a good application.

But, from the Maggies to the Piccolos, my audio speakers are power-pigs of the first order.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

AR 3a
AR 4x
AR M5
AR Athena
AR TSW 110
AR 14
Magnepan MGIIIa
Revox Piccolo
Old February 2nd 16, 09:50 PM
John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Go back & look at the cct carefully. It is a harmonic generator, meant for guitar or other music instruments effects. Then into the main amp. The harmonics are even order 2nd, 4th, 6th & so on. Not hifi or anything much else, but the fundamentals still get thru.
Old February 3rd 16, 09:11 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 02/02/16 04:37, John L Stewart so wittily quipped:
> FYI- Doug Hammond already did it for you!! JLS

> |Filename: Firefly Rev 3 8W Doug Hammond 7W 75 dpi E.jpg |
> |Download: http://www.audiobanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=433|

yep, that's the basic idea - "great minds think alike" - heh