tube amp kits on ebay

Old September 16th 15, 07:39 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

Default tube amp kits on ebay

for grins I was searching around for tube-related stuff on e-bay. other
than finding a couple of "box o' tube" offers at reasonably low prices
[which I just might get, just to see if they're functional or bits o'
glass & metal or a bunch of useless things nobody wants] I saw THIS (and
things like it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N2-6AQ5-600...item3a978ab092

Through the mid 80's I had this old "kit based" tube stereo system that
I only got rid of because I was an *IDIOT* [one of the output
transformers blew a winding, and I didn't have the resources to get
another one at that time]. but it used 6BQ5's as I recall, and so does
THAT one. Except THAT one has smaller output transformers. [for less
bass in the output, more phase distortion, etc.]. Probably not
ultra-linear, either. Then again, maybe it is?

OK I figure that a single Hammond transformer costs more than that
entire amplifier, and probably weighs more. I also noticed that the
amplifier advertised at that page has *NO* *POWER* *SUPPLY*. Well, I've
probably got a SOLUTION for THAT one. Or maybe THEY do, whatever.

In any case, it's interesting.

[not advocating the link, or the product, just observing]

there are others. not sure how worth while they are. If I have spare $
for experimenting, maybe I'll get one, see what it's like.

Old September 16th 15, 07:44 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 09/16/15 11:39, Big Bad Bob so wittily quipped:
> for grins I was searching around for tube-related stuff on e-bay. other
> than finding a couple of "box o' tube" offers at reasonably low prices
> [which I just might get, just to see if they're functional or bits o'
> glass & metal or a bunch of useless things nobody wants] I saw THIS (and
> things like it):
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N2-6AQ5-600...item3a978ab092
>
> but it used 6BQ5's as I recall, and so does THAT one.

oops, that one's using 6AQ5. they're similar tubes, though [in usage,
not necessarily design].

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t7427/

6AQ5 is a beam power, 6BQ5 is a regular pentode. brain fart.

Old September 17th 15, 05:58 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Frank Lucas

Il 16/09/2015 20:44, Big Bad Bob ha scritto:
> On 09/16/15 11:39, Big Bad Bob so wittily quipped:
>> for grins I was searching around for tube-related stuff on e-bay. other
>> than finding a couple of "box o' tube" offers at reasonably low prices
>> [which I just might get, just to see if they're functional or bits o'
>> glass & metal or a bunch of useless things nobody wants] I saw THIS (and
>> things like it):
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N2-6AQ5-600...item3a978ab092
>>
>> but it used 6BQ5's as I recall, and so does THAT one.

> oops, that one's using 6AQ5. they're similar tubes, though [in usage,
> not necessarily design].
>
> http://music-electronics-forum.com/t7427/
>
> 6AQ5 is a beam power, 6BQ5 is a regular pentode. brain fart.

I love the sound of the small 6AQ5.

Frank

Vellman tube kits Edward Morris Vacuum Tubes 12 October 27th 10 09:20 PM
Tube amp kits mike Vacuum Tubes 23 August 15th 06 10:14 PM
New Tube Amplifier Kits + 2 6 0 0 l i n ks World Tube Audio Audio Opinions 7 January 24th 05 01:21 AM
New Tube Amplifier Kits + 2 6 0 0 l i n ks World Tube Audio Vacuum Tubes 0 January 21st 05 08:57 AM
Tube Amp & Speaker Kits? Philip Thomas High End Audio 8 February 22nd 04 08:13 PM